Sign in to follow this  
laterdaze

WireGuard VPN support

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

I think supporting wireguard would be very useful for a lot of users.  It could make unRAID a preferred home based cloud storage device.  At least for me, anyway ;>)

I built wireguard using the latest Slackware live iso and the info at https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/network/WireGuard/ but couldn't figure how to insert it into the unRAID kernel.  Probably would be trivial for you guys but not clear to me.

Did you try and create a wireguard VM? Doesn't have to be slack. That should be trivial. Unraid KVM makes it easy.

Adding to base os it's not trivial

Sent from my chisel, carved into granite

21 hours ago, tr0910 said:

Did you try and create a wireguard VM? Doesn't have to be slack. That should be trivial. Unraid KVM makes it easy.

Adding to base os it's not trivial

I have only tried what I described so far.  Since it seems WireGuard will be in the Linux kernel soon I just thought it would be a natural fit for unRAID. I just see remotely separated unRAID systems bi-directionaly syncing data via WireGuard vpn with no need for a particularly powerful router as just port forwarding would be required.  I do something similar with pfSense/OpenVPN and rclone. A private personal cloud by invitation only.

I look forward to these kind of tools becoming more easily accessible. However you and I are in the minority. Unraid biggest user group are data hoarders, who don't really care much about security. I'm glad Tom keeps the product fresh and fully patched.

Never hurts to ask. If he can do it easily, it may happen.