Very Very Slow Write Speed

Hi Experts,

I am newbie so please help me out to debug my Slow write speed issue. Below are the details :-

Unraid OS - Ver 6.6.6

HP Proliant ML10 V2 Server (configuration is listed below).

Configuration of Server:-

CPU is "Intel® Core™ i3-4150 CPU @ 3.50GHz"

RAM is " 8 GB Single-bit ECC"

Motherboard has 3 Connectors (1 SAS which splits into 4 SATA for Hard Disk connections , 2 SATA)

2 Seagate 8 TB Hard Disks and both are connected via 2 SATA connectors pointing to same SAS connector

2 Seagate 4 TB hard disks which are used via Unassigned Plugn and connected to Motherboard via separate individual SATA connectors

My motherboard has only 1 SAS Connector which splits into 4 SATA connectors. Out of these 4 connectors I am using 1 for Parity and 1 for Data Drive. My motherboard also have 2 SATA connectors and I have connected 2 drives (Out Of Array using Unassigned Drive Plugin) with those. While moving data from one of the unassigned disk  to data disk, I am getting write speed of around 20 MB/S. Even in my old Proliant N54L (with all parity and data drives as seagate 4 TB) I used to get write speed over ethernet/wifi normally around 30 MB/S, but now in this case when there is no ethernet and everything is being transmitted over SATA connectors and directly thru Motherboard I am gettign only 20MB/S speed.

13 minutes ago, ManishGupta8 said:

Hi Experts,

I am newbie so please help me out to debug my Slow write speed issue. Below are the details :-

Unraid OS - Ver 6.6.6

HP Proliant ML10 V2 Server (configuration is listed below).

Configuration of Server:-

CPU is "Intel® Core™ i3-4150 CPU @ 3.50GHz"

RAM is " 8 GB Single-bit ECC"

Motherboard has 3 Connectors (1 SAS which splits into 4 SATA for Hard Disk connections , 2 SATA)

2 Seagate 8 TB Hard Disks and both are connected via 2 SATA connectors pointing to same SAS connector

2 Seagate 4 TB hard disks which are used via Unassigned Plugn and connected to Motherboard via separate individual SATA connectors

My motherboard has only 1 SAS Connector which splits into 4 SATA connectors. Out of these 4 connectors I am using 1 for Parity and 1 for Data Drive. My motherboard also have 2 SATA connectors and I have connected 2 drives (Out Of Array using Unassigned Drive Plugin) with those. While moving data from one of the unassigned disk  to data disk, I am getting write speed of around 20 MB/S. Even in my old Proliant N54L (with all parity and data drives as seagate 4 TB) I used to get write speed over ethernet/wifi normally around 30 MB/S, but now in this case when there is no ethernet and everything is being transmitted over SATA connectors and directly thru Motherboard I am gettign only 20MB/S speed.

How many different places are you going to ask the same question?

3 minutes ago, ManishGupta8 said:

Array Disk for holding data.

I'm not asking what a data drive is.  I'm asking what kind of drive are you specifically using for your data drive?

You cross posted this question all over the place - did you read the Seagate thread you posted on? It has an answer for you.

Edited by whipdancer
21 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Please don't crosspost, and post your diagnostics, it might show something and if nothing else it will show more info about the hardware.

I was not sure which one is the right forum so i posted to other forums as well. I apologize for that and I will close other threads if this is appropriate forum.

Attaching the logs here now. 

I did read the Seagate 8 TB thread but could not find useful.  As I dont think there is any settings that need to be changed there as per that thread.

tower2-diagnostics-20181213-0936.zip <<These diagnostics were taken when the copy command was runnign in background. Just to let you know in case it makes any difference.>>

Edited by ManishGupta8
Timing of Diagnostics and System Status
1 minute ago, ManishGupta8 said:

I was not sure which one is the right forum so i posted to other forums as well. I apologize for that and I will close other threads if this is appropriate forum.

I am currently cleaning up your mess. I'll have more to say about that when I'm done.

Posting the same thing in multiple places is known as "cross-posting". It has been frowned upon on message boards since long before the World Wide Web.

29 minutes ago, ManishGupta8 said:

I think i did deleted my response from other forums as it appears that they were not appropriate and this is right forum. Apologize again for same. 

I deleted another new thread you started, and I split the reply another user made in the other thread into this thread.

When you post the same question in multiple places, where are we supposed to respond? What if someone goes to a lot of time and effort to research your problem and writes a nice, long, detailed response. And then another person, not aware of that thread, goes to a lot of time and effort to research your problem and writes a nice, long, detailed response on the other thread, totally unaware that they are wasting their time because they never saw the other thread.

Cross-posting is bad because it makes it impossible for the responses to be coordinated.

Nothing jumps out, but there have been other reports that those newer SMR Barracuda drives perform worse than the older Archive drives, I never used one myself, but have some of the Archive models and those perform great.

Iis the low speed immediate after a copy start or does is start faster and then slow down after a few GBs?

1 minute ago, trurl said:

Posting the same thing in multiple places is known as "cross-posting". It has be frowned upon on message boards since long before the World Wide Web.

I deleted another new thread you started, and I split the reply another user made in the other thread into this thread.

When you post the same question in multiple places, where are we supposed to respond? What if someone goes to a lot of time and effort to research your problem and writes a nice, long, detailed response. And then another person, not aware of that thread, goes to a lot of time and effort to research your problem and writes a nice, long, detailed response on the other thread, totally unaware that they are wasting their time because they never saw the other thread.

Cross-posting is bad because it makes it impossible for the responses to be coordinated.

I apologize for same and what you explained makes sense.

3 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Nothing jumps out, but there have been other reports that those newer SMR Barracuda drives perform worse than the older Archive drives, I never used one myself, but have some of the Archive models and those perform great.

Iis the low speed immediate after a copy start or does is start faster and then slow down after a few GBs?

Slow speed is not immediate...It starts around 150MB/S and then start reducing and get stabilize at 20MB/s

Edited by ManishGupta8
1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

If that's the problem only changing the disks would help.

Thanks for trying to help. Dont get upset but as i dont know so will rely on what you said. So is this confirmed based on some diagnostic logs i shared or are you guessing that could be the reason based on your pas experience. ?

30 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Please don't crosspost, and post your diagnostics, it might show something and if nothing else it will show more info about the hardware.

Hi Johnie. I did not understand what do you mean by Crosspost. So please explain so that i can avoid it.  

Also how can i get disgnostics please ?

1 minute ago, ManishGupta8 said:

So is this confirmed based on some diagnostic logs i shared or are you guessing that could be the reason based on your pas experience. ?

It fits with the problem you're seeing, i.e., the speeds starting normally and then slowing down once the PMR cache is exhausted, and like mentioned other users suffered from low performance with those same disks, still it's only a guess, to be sure you'd need to test with other non SMR disks, or at least SMR disks that are know to perform well, like the Archive drives.

4 minutes ago, ManishGupta8 said:

Hi Johnie. I did not understand what do you mean by Crosspost. So please explain so that i can avoid it.  

Also how can i get disgnostics please ?

¿Que? It was already explained by trurl why cross-posting is bad, and you already posted the diagnostics...

2 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

It fits with the problem you're seeing, i.e., the speeds starting normally and then slowing down once the PMR cache is exhausted, and like mentioned other users suffered from low performance with those same disks, still it's only a guess, to be sure you'd need to test with other non SMR disks, or at least SMR disks that are know to perform well, like the Archive drives.

¿Que? It was already explained by trurl why cross-posting is bad, and you already posted the diagnostics...

Thanks. I am not sure why that old comment also came in when i clicked on "Quote" button. But yes truyl already explained that part. I am thinking to migrate my old server Bootable flash and all disks to new server to ensure that issue is somewhere in drive. In both machines all is same except the hardware and hard drive. So if old hard drives (from old proliant N54L) works at great speed in new proliant ML10 then it clearly mean it is an issue with hard drive . What do you think ? Please share your views ?

Also is there any way i can add a brand new data disk with data on it to array without formatting. (Assuming it already is in format "reiserfs") 

Actually thinking to do reverse as well then. Connect 8 TB drives to old server using unassigned and then copy data, so that my old array is not down for long. Once copied then move this new 8 TB drive to new server , add it to array (Without formatting it) , but rebuild parity.  Not sure if this is even possible.

So if old hard drives (from old proliant N54L) works at great speed in new proliant ML10 then it clearly mean it is an issue with hard drive . What do you think ? Please share your views ?

That's a good plan.

Also is there any way i can add a brand new data disk with data on it to array without formatting.

Yes, but only if there's no parity assigned, or by doing a new config and re-syncing parity.

4 minutes ago, ManishGupta8 said:

Actually thinking to do reverse as well then. Connect 8 TB drives to old server using unassigned and then copy data, so that my old array is not down for long. Once copied then move this new 8 TB drive to new server , add it to array (Without formatting it) , but rebuild parity.  Not sure if this is even possible.

It is, as long as the disks are format by Unraid or the UD plugin.

That's a good plan.

Yes, but only if there's no parity assigned, or by doing a new config and re-syncing parity.

Ok let me try to do it and will update others the o/p of same.

Is there any link/video available where i can learn what do we mean by new config and resyncing parity ?

New config (Tools -> New config) makes Unraid "forget" current assignments, after doing it you'll need to reassign the disks, but nothing will be deleted on the disks assigned as data drives, if they have data and were formatted by Unraid or UD it will still be there, starting the array after a new config will re-sync parity, i.e. create valid parity, you just need to be careful and don't assign a disk with data to the parity slot.

• Like 1

New config (Tools -> New config) makes Unraid "forget" current assignments, after doing it you'll need to reassign the disks, but nothing will be deleted on the disks assigned as data drives, if they have data and were formatted by Unraid or UD it will still be there, starting the array after a new config will re-sync parity, i.e. create valid parity, you just need to be careful and don't assign a disk with data to the parity slot.

Thank Johnie. I will do that. Good to know. I know we drifted from original post and  it did not get solved but everything i learn here is good for me :)