Two unRAID Plus Licenses?

shire

Hi!

I would like to buy an unRAID Plus license. unRAID offers two for the price of 99$ minus 10$ discount. That makes 89$ in total and 44,5$ per license/per person.

Is anybody interested in buying two keys (one for my/one for you) to save a bit of money?

Bye.

Limetech has said this is not the purpose of this deal.

The second license would potentially have no support since it would have been resold immediately.

Tom will probably be a good guy but dont assume... ask and be honest

Tom allow real friends to do that, but he doesn't like this kind of offer here on the forum, because the second key is intend to be or a backup or run a second server.

Please each one buy your own license and support Lime-tech.

Hi!

I understand that intention of Lime Technology.

Anyways...It is still money and better than no money.

I dont't need any support. The forum is enough. And of course I will update the plus license to a Pro next year.

Bye.

The support includes new versions of unRAID, so yes, you do want support from LimeTech. :)

Hi!

I understand that intention of Lime Technology.

Anyways...It is still money and better than no money.

I dont't need any support. The forum is enough. And of course I will update the plus license to a Pro next year.

Bye.

That's ignorant

It's normal for any newcomer not to be aware of how LimeTech wants to license the unRAID product.  LimeTech is a small business that has an exceptional product.  After using it for awhile it grows on you how great it is and that it actually can make creating a NAS a fun and rewarding experience.  

The discounted second license was/is done as a favor to people who wanted to have a spare license in case their flash drive dies unexpectedly.  Limetech will move the license to a new flash drive in that situation but many folks wanted to avoid any delay at all.  So the second license at a discount was created to satisfy that specific request, as a favor.  

Once you know that bit of unRAID lore, it makes sense that splitting the licenses, especially between strangers does not fit the requirement for buying the second license at a discount.

It can be awkward for a newcomer who doesn't know about the un-printed restriction to get the equilivent of the hairy eyeball stare here in the forum.  But this forum has a strong sense of loyalty to the author.   Sort of like looking out for a cousin or something.

I pd the extra to get a 2nd Pro license and no way I'm selling it.  Limetech has provided us a very good solution and the 2nd license is a favor to us the way I see it.. so if there is USB key failure, then we can keep our servers up while waiting on a new license.

I'm guessing the OP just hasn't worked on a dev shop before and doesn't realize what goes into developing software.

Hi!

That's ignorant

Ohh hell. Please...would be nice to see this discussion stop very soon.

First of all I don't really knew that the key is only for one person and meant as backup. And I really think that's okay to ask at least this question.

And yes...I bought all the software on Mac because I like to see it to be developed in the future.

...I'm out...

Bye.  

Ohh hell. Please...would be nice to see this discussion stop very soon.

This too shall pass  ;D 

It's an honest faux pas.  Actually it's all too easy to step into this one.  Consider it beginner hazing.  But seriously, stick around because we are a good group all things considered.

So, uh, when did this change?  Last I heard (meaning a year or more ago) Tom was perfectly OK with people splitting license 2 packs.  In fact, that's how I got my pro license....

I do somewhat regret it now since my license is in someone else's name, so if I ever needed support from Tom I wouldn't have any way to prove that I bought the software.  Hopefully my good name here will help compensate :)

I definitely don't recommend splitting licenses for the above reason, but I didn't know that Tom had any problem with it.

• 1 month later...

I agree.. I'm new to this, have been testing out the free version and now want to upgrade to a paid version. I was also looking for someone to split the 2-packs with, and looking in the forums I see all kind of nasty responses from ppl looking down on other that want to split a 2 pack...

It is perfectly normal for software companies to sell multiple copies of their products at a discount, and it's of course normal that the intent of that is to use the product on different computers. Just because unraid uses a key tied to your hardware doesn't mean it should be any different except for this methid which is completely understandable for a small company who obviously can't depend on the good faith of ppl not copying their software illegaly.

Now just thinking it should be for backup only? Sure... some users like it was mentioned above don't want to wait until their key is replaced and all that, but most of us won't dies if we have to wait a day or two (or even hours sometimes thanks to Tom's good support!) to get the replacement... For those of us, a second key doesn't make much sense.

So naturally, first time I saw the 2-pack offers, I IMMEDIATLEY thought the idea was to get more registered/paying users, and getting in by splitting the pack with a friend.

To come in here and read all those hars and throat-targeting posts by "veteran" users, saying that's not the intent is discouraging to say the least...

If that is the author's intent, than it should be CLEARLY STATED on the order page, that you cannot share it and it is for backup only, not just happily suggest to have a backup, but rather place a disclaimer, and state all the stuff you're saying about not having support, etc. Otherwise, it's just a bit sneaky to say the least. Just my personal opinion...

I agree.. I'm new to this, have been testing out the free version and now want to upgrade to a paid version. I was also looking for someone to split the 2-packs with, and looking in the forums I see all kind of nasty responses from ppl looking down on other that want to split a 2 pack...

It is perfectly normal for software companies to sell multiple copies of their products at a discount, and it's of course normal that the intent of that is to use the product on different computers. Just because unraid uses a key tied to your hardware doesn't mean it should be any different except for this methid which is completely understandable for a small company who obviously can't depend on the good faith of ppl not copying their software illegaly.

Now just thinking it should be for backup only? Sure... some users like it was mentioned above don't want to wait until their key is replaced and all that, but most of us won't dies if we have to wait a day or two (or even hours sometimes thanks to Tom's good support!) to get the replacement... For those of us, a second key doesn't make much sense.

So naturally, first time I saw the 2-pack offers, I IMMEDIATLEY thought the idea was to get more registered/paying users, and getting in by splitting the pack with a friend.

To come in here and read all those hars and throat-targeting posts by "veteran" users, saying that's not the intent is discouraging to say the least...

If that is the author's intent, than it should be CLEARLY STATED on the order page, that you cannot share it and it is for backup only, not just happily suggest to have a backup, but rather place a disclaimer, and state all the stuff you're saying about not having support, etc. Otherwise, it's just a bit sneaky to say the least. Just my personal opinion...

Seems like a fair request to me.

The author - Tom - has stated in the forums that he discouraged this practice.  Not forbidden it, but discouraged it.  Know that your key is branded to a particular person, and that person's name will show up when you view the USB / licensing data.  Several members that did this type of thing in the past regretted it, saying they wished they had just gotten one in their name.

Tom is very generous with replacing broken thumbdrives when the inevitable happens and a key breaks.  The original intent of the 2nd key was to protect a person from such an occurance, and Tom is under no obligation based on the documented policy to replace broken keys for free.  But he does it (or has to date).  In general people feel Tom is very fair in this regard, and we like to honor his wishes.

It would be one thing to have a friend or family member and decide to go in on a 2 pack together.  But to come into the author's forum to solicit this type of arrangement - just feels like bad form.  Maybe it's just me.

I think you also must realize that people really want Tom to succeed - he has an awesome product and he's a small operation.  We all wish him well, and this just feels a bit like cheating him to us.  Nothing personal at all - but that's likely the reason you're picking up this sentament.

Anyway - I don't speak for Tom and you are free to do as you'd like.  Tom will likely not complain and gratefully accept payment.  But if it were me, I'd consder buying my licenses rather than sharing them with a stranger.

I just gotta chime in. I by no means am "well off", however, you're not saving oh-so-much-money here! I understand this community likes to reuse components and shop around, but there are some pieces of our builds that we buck-up and pay top dollar for. Current "written" policy or not, this is probably one of those purchases you pay full price for or "For limited time, get $10 off any Registration Key order." The free version is available if you're that strapped for cash!

It's not really about the money.  It's about what the average newcomer's expectations after reading the offer.  If it doesn't explicitly state what the acceptable policy is then it's misleading.  You can't blame a customer for being mislead.  Maybe it's time the sales methods mature and become more professional.

Another obvious elephant-in-the-room is advertising servers for a specific price but not having any inventory and what seems like an intention of never having inventory again.  In some states that's a deceptive business practice.