SMB Apple Time Machine 6.7

2 minutes ago, limetech said:

Unraid is designed to export individual shares.  What you are doing is circumventing, among other things, built-in share security.  I'm assuming you know what you're doing.  This post is for others who read this: my recommendation is don't do what @Tucubanito07 is doing here unless you too, know what you're doing.

Correct. I agree with you on the root share. If you know what you are doing then do it. If not then take that part of. @limetech

Im struggling to get my SMB time machine share to appear also. 

Ive done all the settings in SMB and when I go into Time Machine, there is no share to find - if i switch on AFP - it works fine. 

Ive tried rebooting unraid - rebooting the mac in question, neither makes the share appear

So, not sure if we should continue on with this thread or open a new one. Moderators, please advise.

I tried once again this morning to get the Time Machine (via SMB) to work with 2 Mac computers. 1 running Mojave and the other running High Sierra, both with the same results. I create a share called 'Time Machine' or 'test-1', etc,. Assigned the following SMB attributes (export: yes/time machine, volume size: 60000 for 6TB, and security: private). When looking in either Mac's Time Machine properties, and attempting to add a new disk, the new share is not visible. However, if I mount the SMB share via Finder, Go, Connect to Server, then I am able to see and use the disk in Time Machine.

I have also tested using AFP. When creating the same type share via AFP, the following settings were used (export: yes/time machine, volume size: 60000 for 6TB, volume dbpath: empty, and security: private). When I go to browse for the share in Time Machine, I am able to see it. The issue comes when I try to mount it in the Time Machine settings. It takes in upwards of almost 20 or so seconds to 'connect' to the drive. When it does finally connect, I am prompted for my credentials, and then it errors out. Unfortunately, I did not capture any screen shots of the errors this morning. I will take care of that when ai get home this evening and post them.

So in summary, If I am not following the proper procedures when using an SMB share with Time Machine, please let me know. I am under the assumption that it will simply appear much like an AFP share. If others have been able to get this to work, please share your settings for not only creating the share but also how it is exported.

I am attaching my diagnostics file. Maybe it will be of use to someone in the hopes of figuring this out.

Thank you to everyone in advance for reading and providing commentary. The support you provide is sincerely appreciated.

-MW

unraid-1-diagnostics-20190514-1050.zip

Edited by mfwade
7 minutes ago, mfwade said:

So, not sure if we should continue on with this thread or open a new one. Moderators, please advise.

I tried once again this morning to get the Time Machine (via SMB) to work with 2 Mac computers. 1 running Mojave and the other running High Sierra, both with the same results. I create a share called 'Time Machine' or 'test-1', etc,. Assigned the following SMB attributes (export: yes/time machine, volume size: 60000 for 6TB, and security: private). When looking in either Mac's Time Machine properties, and attempting to add a new disk, the new share is not visible. However, if I mount the SMB share via Finder, Go, Connect to Server, then I am able to see and use the disk in Time Machine.

I have also tested using AFP. When creating the same type share via AFP, the following settings were used (export: yes/time machine, volume size: 60000 for 6TB, volume dbpath: empty, and security: private). When I go to browse for the share in Time Machine, I am able to see it. The issue comes when I try to mount it in the Time Machine settings. It takes in upwards of almost 20 or so seconds to 'connect' to the drive. When it does finally connect, I am prompted for my credentials, and then it errors out. Unfortunately, I did not capture any screen shots of the errors this morning. I will take care of that when ai get home this evening and post them.

So in summary, If I am not following the proper procedures when using an SMB share with Time Machine, please let me know. I am under the assumption that it will simply appear much like an AFP share. If others have been able to get this to work, please share your settings for not only creating the share but also how it is exported.

I am attaching my diagnostics file. Maybe it will be of use to someone in the hopes of figuring this out.

Thank you to everyone in advance for reading and providing commentary. The support you provide is sincerely appreciated.

-MW

unraid-1-diagnostics-20190514-1050.zip 223.93 kB · 0 downloads

Is still not working for me. I did however just tired what you said with connecting to the server via finder and then it came up for me to use as a time machine backup. However, it just keeps timing out. It seems like it's on a timer for me and it stops backing up. @limetech What else can we try to get this to work? I tried all the settings you provided up top. I even moved the variables. See down below. I got the security set to public and Share name is time machine and export to yes/ time machine.

#vfs_recycle_start
#Recycle bin configuration
[global]
   syslog only = Yes
   log level = 0 vfs:0

#vfs_recycle_end

fruit:aapl = yes
fruit:resource = file
fruit:metadata = netatalk
fruit:locking = none
fruit:encoding = native
fruit:nfs_aces = no

[rootshare]
path = /mnt/user
comment =
browseable = yes
valid users = tucubanito07
write list = tucubanito07
vfs objects =

5 hours ago, mfwade said:

-MW

unraid-1-diagnostics-20190514-1050.zip 223.93 kB · 0 downloads

Maybe a permission issue.  As a test, set the Time Machine share security to 'Public'.

21 hours ago, mfwade said:

I used the following however, I am unable to provide the Time Machine screenshot as I did not configure my VPN to allow discovery.

-MW

580663598_ScreenShot2019-05-13at3_17_12PM.thumb.png.f7c8d6e25c8b262694a752dea7d91857.png1375823686_ScreenShot2019-05-13at3_17_50PM.thumb.png.e6eb2d0f045c4f149b39d4e522149d80.png896177209_ScreenShot2019-05-13at3_18_52PM.thumb.png.aefcb37d467b83ddc02bc5c3a5a2e281.png

1024 MB is only 1 GB.

5 hours ago, mfwade said:

-MW

unraid-1-diagnostics-20190514-1050.zip 223.93 kB · 1 download

Not sure if it's a typo but 60000 MB is only about 58.6 GB.

Limetech,

I tried that as well. It doesn't work with any of the permission variables. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be and I will have to go out and buy an older albeit used time capsule and replace the drive. :(

The main reason I would like to get this to work is my existing TC is starting to fail.

Again, thanks to all for the assist!

-MW

Edited by mfwade
19 minutes ago, Tucubanito07 said:

These are my current settings and last night the back up did not finish. 

I thought you said you had "Enable SMB" set to Active Directory?  Maybe was someone else... in this case you don't need the extra fruit lines in the Samba extra configuration settings, but does no harm having them there.

You say it doesn't finish - so it does connect and run for awhile and transfer data?  Then what happens?  At this point, where backup has stopped but before you do anything else, capture diagnostics.zip.  Are you sure it's not something obvious, like running out of space?

5 minutes ago, limetech said:

I thought you said you had "Enable SMB" set to Active Directory?  Maybe was someone else... in this case you don't need the extra fruit lines in the Samba extra configuration settings, but does no harm having them there.

You say it doesn't finish - so it does connect and run for awhile and transfer data?  Then what happens?  At this point, where backup has stopped but before you do anything else, capture diagnostics.zip.  Are you sure it's not something obvious, like running out of space?

I dont have an Active Directory setup. It was probably someone else. It starts to backup and all of a sudden stops. Is not running out of space as is a 2tb drive and is only backing up around 1.2 terabytes. I will run it again at home and grab the diagnostic file and posted for you to see. Thank you for all your help @limetech.

34 minutes ago, Tucubanito07 said:

@limetech I just saw the time machine stopped working and took a diagnostics and uploaded for you to see. My laptop is only a 1tb and my share is two terabytes. Let me know what you see on the diagnostics.

eleanor-diagnostics-20190514-2206.zip 101.08 kB · 2 downloads

Nothing jumps out but your 'rootshare' definition is troubling because it's missing something.  In the line that reads:

vfs objects = 

change to:

vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr

And then reboot your server.

Maybe you are victim of this warning from the samba vfs_fruit doc:

Be careful when mixing shares with and without vfs_fruit. OS X clients negotiate SMB2 AAPL protocol extensions on the first tcon, so mixing shares with and without fruit will globally disable AAPL if the first tcon is without fruit.

If this doen't work then please get rid of everything past "#vfs_recycle_end" line - that is, remove the fruit lines and your rootshare definition.  Then if that still doesn't work, try a 'safe mode' boot to rule out a rogue plugin interfering.

13 minutes ago, limetech said:

Nothing jumps out but your 'rootshare' definition is troubling because it's missing something.  In the line that reads:

vfs objects = 

change to:

And then reboot your server.

Maybe you are victim of this warning from the samba vfs_fruit doc:

If this doen't work then please get rid of everything past "#vfs_recycle_end" line - that is, remove the fruit lines and your rootshare definition.  Then if that still doesn't work, try a 'safe mode' boot to rule out a rogue plugin interfering.

So based on the variables, what should i only leave in there? @limetech

#vfs_recycle_start
[global]
   syslog only = Yes
#vfs_recycle_end

[rootshare]
path = /mnt/user
comment =
browseable = yes

Edited by Tucubanito07
34 minutes ago, Tucubanito07 said:

So based on the variables, what should i only leave in there? @limetech

#vfs_recycle_start
[global]
   syslog only = Yes
#vfs_recycle_end

[rootshare]
path = /mnt/user
comment =
browseable = yes

Above looks correct for this test.

I also just rebooted the server in Safe mode without the apps on GUI and still keeps happening. @limetech See screenshot below. I also took all the variables in the SMB under settings. The only one is the recycle bin. I switched it back to Unraid OS. I guess Unraid does not support Time Machine. Thanks for all the help.

1250722320_ScreenShot2019-05-14at8_32_44PM.thumb.png.e938b6790cf6803c7e83f4e9004ea41a.png S

Edited by Tucubanito07
11 minutes ago, Tucubanito07 said:

I guess Unraid does not support Time Machine.

Sure it does, lots of people including our own @eschultz use it successfully.  Something odd about your setup - not saying it's your fault.  When the backup quits, are there any files created in your Time Machine share?

Your video link says "unavailable".  Also what version macOS is  your laptop running?

2 minutes ago, limetech said:

Sure it does, lots of people including our own @eschultz use it successfully.  Something odd about your setup - not saying it's your fault.  When the backup quits, are there any files created in your Time Machine share?

Yes. See below. I have also deleted and tried again and still nothing. @limetech1373191796_ScreenShot2019-05-14at8_46_42PM.thumb.png.757a262c28246f2421c8096d47e0be84.png

Edited by Tucubanito07
4 minutes ago, limetech said:

Your video link says "unavailable".  Also what version macOS is  your laptop running?

The video is public now sorry about that. I am running

2069631439_ScreenShot2019-05-14at8_50_19PM.png.84dbf7d639e18d79aab99263a6f90d15.png

12 minutes ago, Tucubanito07 said:

The video is public now sorry about that. I am running

That's one exciting video!

Well not sure where to go from here.  Though if you google 'macos mojave time machine backup stopping' or 'samba macos mojave time machine backup stopping' there numerous similar reports and possible things to look at on the Mac side.  eg: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/time-machine-cant-complete-backup.2144497/#post-26598806

On 5/14/2019 at 1:30 AM, limetech said:

Right I didn't have the resources available to test combination of AD with/TimeMachine, so as to not possibly fubar AD further, decided not to add the necessary 'fruit' settings when AD is selected.  You should be able to add these lines to Settings/SMB/Samba extra configuration:

And then let me know if this works. 👍

And you also need this the following in addition at the affected share section (not at [global]):

fruit:time machine = yes

Otherwise you won't see the affected share at Apple's Time Machine. But this can't be done at "Settings/SMB/Samba extra configuration" I assume !?