SuperMicro SC933T-R760 CSE-933T-R760B 3U 15 Bay Chassis

ccharmatz

I do not know about the rest of you, but this is one of my favorite cases, yes it is only a 15 drive case, but for a make offer of 165.00 and 31.59 shipping = 196.59 for 15 hot swap bays and tripple redundant 760watt removable power supplies included I can not pass up buying more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270648508992&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I love my unraid

Three CSE-933T cases with unRAID running

And no I am not the seller.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damn...  If I total up what I spent on my rackmount non-hot swap setup I'm kicking myself here..

$35 used 4u case off of ebay

$40 power supply (would have been $20 had I gotten the rebate in in time)

$20 5 in 3 non-hot swap drive cage

I'm already half way there and I will probably have to eventually put in another $20 for another cage...

gah.  that is so tempting...  had I not gotten everything already I would for sure be pulling the trigger, now it is much tougher decision...

Do you think it comes with the power supply and other components?

The details only mention the chassis and rack rails.

That Sku:

According to SuperMicro comes with:

Key Features

1. 760W Triple-Redundant Power Supply

2. 15 x 3.5" SAS / SATA Hot-swappable

Drive Bays

3. 6x Full-height, Full-length expansion slot

4. 100% Cooling Redundancy

5. Power Switch & 4 LED Indicators

And it is listed under "Product Description"

I am sure it comes with everything or you could get your money back.

To connect the SuperMicro card directly to your hard drives, you will need two of these:

3ware CBL-SFF8087OCF-10M 1 unit of 1m Multi-lane Internal (SFF-8087) Serial ATA breakout cable, forward

Do a google shopping search for the part number and you may find them cheaper.  Also, jump on any open box deals you find.

Great...I already have those!  I just wanted to make sure I didn't need an SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cable or anything. 

I haven't received a tracking number yet, but I'm hoping my new case will be here this week.  It will go nicely with my new C2SEE-O motherboard that I picked up from the Newegg $20 deal last week. I have a Q8300 that's been sitting in a box for a year, just waiting for a home.  I also ordered a Kingston 4GB DDR3 kit from Amazon for $70.  I already have a couple of SuperMicro 5-in-3's, so, I all I have to do is move the drives over.

I think I'm going to turn my old unRAID case into an OpenFiler SAN.  The case and power supply I'm using now for OpenFiler is ancient.  I have no need for the 5-in-3's in my OpenFiler box, so I'll probably put those up for sale soon.

I think I'm going to turn my old unRAID case into an OpenFiler SAN.  The case and power supply I'm using now for OpenFiler is ancient.  I have no need for the 5-in-3's in my OpenFiler box, so I'll probably put those up for sale soon.

I'll take the 5-in-3s if you're selling!

Was this really a good deal at $240 shipped? (I know some people got a deal at $200 shipped, but others paid $240 shipped)

How does it compare to the famous Norco?

Well, I did not buy one, it's a little big for what I want. Although I was thinking about it - at $200 I can barely do psu+ case + 1-5 in 3 hot swap for a 5 drive set up.

15 drives  hot swap

psu ~ $50+

3 x 5 in 3 ~ ($100) = $300+

case w/ 9 5.25" external bays ~ $70+

= $420+

20 drives hot swap

Norco 4220 ~ $340.00+

psu ~ $50+

=$390+

For anyone who is interested, the seller has relisted more of these cases for 199 but no best offer this time.. 

I can't decide between this and the Norco..  The Norco is about a hundred more, but hold 5 more drives..  but I do like the redundant power supplies, plus I have a feeling that the Supermicro is a more robust unit.  Am I wrong??

I'm so tempted to pull the trigger on this Supermicro case but I don't want to regret it later on when I reach the 28Tb limit of the case...  I guess there is always the option of building a second unraid server then...

This was a very tempting deal, but ultimately I choose to pass. The 15 drive limit coupled with I didn't really need it made me pass. For a new user, without the lust for 22 drives, it would be excellent.

I went ahead and purchased it because I really don't want a 22 drive server.  If we were still buying 500GB drives, I can see the concern.  With 2TB drives the standard, that's 28TB before I run out of room.  And I'm sure we will be able to use 3GB drives eventually.  I have two unRAID licenses, so I can easily setup a second server. In fact, I wish I would have purchased two of these cases at this price.

The Norco cases hold more drives, but they seem to have cooling issues right out of the box.  I would imagine that SuperMicro did a pretty good job of cooling with this case.  I will find out by tomorrow.

My case arrived today.  I thought UPS was kidding when they said it weighed 69#...little did I know.  So, I REALLY like this case. My only issue so far is I cant seem to get the fans to run any slower than full tilt.

Here are a couple of pics:....

Wow, that looks great!

You can buy a Zalman fan mate if you can't get the fans to slow down: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118217&cm_re=zalman_fan_mate-_-35-118-217-_-Product.

Are the psu fans loud or just the other fans?

This is WAY bigger and more than I need, but I am still really tempted to buy 1 for the money. :)

Can anybody tell me what these cables are for?  They come out of the power supply, but I dont see anywhere on the motherboard (C2SEE) or backplane for them to go.

One is a 4 pin connector with orange, purple, brown and red wires and the other is a 5 pin connector with red, orange and green with white stripe wire (two holes are empty).

SM-SC933-4.JPG