Transmission unMenu package

Sorry to have to follow up (seriously, I'm sure it's something easy I'm missing but I'm not a regular tinkerer with my unraid setup) but how do I reinstall it through unMenu?  When I go to the package manager, it lets me Select the Transmission, and disable/enable the Re-Install Upon Boot, but because it's "Already installed" there's no option to re-install.

You can just do and edit and save of the config variables and then the packages changes to allow you to install it again.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the help- I was able to get the Install option back after deleting /usr/bin/transmission-daemon but now when I install I get the following error:

transmission-unraid-0.0.2-i386-bubba.tgz installation:

/boot/packages/transmission-unraid-0.0.2-i386-bubba.tgz.manual_install: line 170: /boot/custom/transmission/transctl: No such file or directory

sed: can't read /boot/custom/transmission/transctl: No such file or directory

cp: `/boot/custom/transmission/transmission_conf' and `/boot/custom/transmission/transmission_conf' are the same file

/boot/packages/transmission-unraid-0.0.2-i386-bubba.tgz.manual_install: line 196: /boot/custom/transmission/transctl: No such file or directory

transmission-unraid-0.0.2-i386-bubba.tgz apparently did not install properly, /usr/bin/transmission-daemon does not exist.

rerun the commands in the first post to delete everything. Then make sure the new .conf file is in place. Then load the package manager page (do not refresh the page, it will try to reinstall the package again). Now find the transmission package install. Now change the variables to your liking and save the values. Now try to install the package.

If that fails, reboot the server.

I followed the steps of:

/boot/custom/transmission/transctl kill
find /boot/custom/ -name "transmission*" -exec rm -rf {} \;
find /boot/packages/ -name "transmission*" -exec rm -rf {} \;
rm /usr/bin/transmission-daemon

I downloaded the conf file attached to the first post and copied it to the packages folder.

I changed the variables to install to disk2 instead of the flash as well as changing other configuration variables.

Clicked to download Transmission and then to Install Transmission. However, I get some errors:

transmission-unraid-0.0.2-i386-bubba.tgz installation:
/boot/packages/transmission-unraid-0.0.2-i386-bubba.tgz.manual_install: line 170: /boot/custom/transmission/transctl: No such file or directory
/boot/packages/transmission-unraid-0.0.2-i386-bubba.tgz.manual_install: line 196: /boot/custom/transmission/transctl: No such file or directory
transmission-unraid-0.0.2-i386-bubba.tgz apparently did not install properly, /usr/bin/transmission-daemon does not exist.

Looks like it's trying to do something in the default install directory???

Just snooping around and found the file: transmission-unraid-0.0.2-i386-bubba.tgz.manual_install

Looks like there are a lot of things writing to the /boot/custom/transmission/ directory... is there some way to make the script use the vINSTALL_LOCATION variable instead?

Will replacing all

/boot/custom/transmission

with

"${vINSTALL_LOCATION}"

do the trick?

Also, what do I do in the case when quotes are already surrounding the command, i.e.:

echo "/boot/custom/transmission/transctl stop" >> /etc/rc.d/unraid.d/rc.unraid_transmission

I want to ask in case I'm doing something unwise.

Thanks

Just snooping around and found the file: transmission-unraid-0.0.2-i386-bubba.tgz.manual_install

Looks like there are a lot of things writing to the /boot/custom/transmission/ directory... is there some way to make the script use the vINSTALL_LOCATION variable instead?

Will replacing all

/boot/custom/transmission

with

"${vINSTALL_LOCATION}"

do the trick?

Also, what do I do in the case when quotes are already surrounding the command, i.e.:

echo "/boot/custom/transmission/transctl stop" >> /etc/rc.d/unraid.d/rc.unraid_transmission

I want to ask in case I'm doing something unwise.

Thanks

NO, do not do that.  The default install location for the package it /boot/custom/transmission which needs to exist before some of the next steps can be taken.

Let me look through the .conf file tomorrow and figure out what might be going on with what the last couple people have reported.

My suggestion is to run the commands to remove the transmission files, copy the new .conf file over to the packages folder, then reboot your machine.  From there you can set up transmission again.

I think I got it installed:

Verifying package transmission-unraid-0.0.2-i386-bubbaQ.tgz.
Installing package transmission-unraid-0.0.2-i386-bubbaQ.tgz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
WARNING:  Package has not been created with 'makepkg'
Executing install script for transmission-unraid-0.0.2-i386-bubbaQ.tgz.
Package transmission-unraid-0.0.2-i386-bubbaQ.tgz installed.

Starting Transmission deamon

When doing the clearing steps, you also have to remove the other transmission* files in usr/bin/ not just transmission-daemon. There is a line that checks for /usr/bin/transmissioncli and because it wasn't cleared, it wasn't unpacking the stuff in the tgz file...

That is correct. No one has gone through the steps to package up the latest Transmission version specifically for unRAID. The latest version for unRAID is your 2.01.

okay but when I check for unmenu updates it says there is a transmission update available should I update or leave as is. And what version of transmission is currently avaliable from unmenu pkg manager. Thanks

That is correct. No one has gone through the steps to package up the latest Transmission version specifically for unRAID. The latest version for unRAID is your 2.01.

okay but when I check for unmenu updates it says there is a transmission update available should I update or leave as is. And what version of transmission is currently avaliable from unmenu pkg manager. Thanks

The version of transmission has not updated since the original version of the .conf file was released.  The only thing that has changed has been some of the logic for installing the package.  If you are not having problems with your script then don't bother updating.  The version distributed in unMenu is not the newest version, use the one attached to the first post in this thread.

I am having permission issues where each directory and file downloaded with Transmission are owned by root and have 755 (for directories) and 644 (for files) permissions so I have to manually chown each download.

Is there a way to modify the Transmission unMenu files so that Transmission runs as nobody instead of as root? I think this would solve the problem?

Thanks!

I am having permission issues where each directory and file downloaded with Transmission are owned by root and have 755 (for directories) and 644 (for files) permissions so I have to manually chown each download.

Is there a way to modify the Transmission unMenu files so that Transmission runs as nobody instead of as root? I think this would solve the problem?

Thanks!

There is a umask setting at the end of the config variables.  I think I gave a link to the Trasnmission page that explains what it does.  Have a look at that and see if setting a different umask fixes the issue.

Can you verify whether I am understanding the umask variable correctly? It seems that the umask variable in the Transmission unMenu script is in decimal which is then converted into octal (18 decimal = 22 octal = default umask setting). This is equal to 000010010 binary, which is the inverse of 111101101, or 755 octal, which are the permission that the directories are set to. However, the files have permissions 110100100 or 644... how do I change this? ...Or are files not supposed to have the x permission activated, which would explain it?

If what I'm guessing above is correct then, to set permissions to 770, do I set umask to 7?

Also, does it matter that the owner is root vs nobody?

Thanks!

Newbie needs help:

I just installed transmission for the second time and am still facing the same problem. Everything is configured correctly, install goes well, the log states port forwarding was successful, etc. Now whenever I try to connect to http://tower:9091/transmission/web I get forbidden, even though I added 10.0.0* to the whitelist. I am sure the mistake is a simple one but I just can't seem to find it! Any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: just tried changing the rpc-port, now "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at tower:9050."

Newbie needs help:

I just installed transmission for the second time and am still facing the same problem. Everything is configured correctly, install goes well, the log states port forwarding was successful, etc. Now whenever I try to connect to http://tower:9091/transmission/web I get forbidden, even though I added 10.0.0* to the whitelist. I am sure the mistake is a simple one but I just can't seem to find it! Any help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: just tried changing the rpc-port, now "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at tower:9050."

Have you tried uninstalling everything, rebooting, installing the new package, clearing the browser cache, and then connecting to Transmission?

I don't restrict based on whitelist  so it is not something I specifically tested.

Maybe another permissions issue... I have my Media share connected through AFP through a different user (not root). When I add torrent files to my watch-dir, the torrent file gets deleted (as set in the configuration variables) BUT the torrent does not get added to Transmission. However, if I save the torrent file through my SMB share, the torrent does get added to the queue... any ideas?

Thanks!

I have a quite strange problem with files downloaded by Transmission.

I have Transmission installed on my cache drive. It's setup to start torrents in an 'incomplete' folder and to move them to a 'completed' folder when finished.

When I copy these completed torrents from the UnRaid server over to my desktop PC I get very slow transfer speeds. The speeds are as low as 5MB/s.

I only have these slow speeds when copying from the 'completed' folder. All other transfers go along at a good rate.

It's also only on files that Transmission has downloaded itself. As a test I copied some random files into the completed folder and copied them to my desktop. These files transferred at the expected good speed.

To see if it is an issue with all Transmission made files I also tested copying files from the 'incomplete' folder. These files copied normally too.

So the slow transfer speeds are only with files that Transmission has downloaded and copied to the completed folder.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what's going on?

Thanks in advance

Alan