Transmission unMenu package

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great work everyone.  I'm using uTorrent but want to replace it with transmission which I installed from the unMenu package management page a week or so ago.  But I'm back on uTorrent while I work out some questions I have.

1.  Where is the best place to get the latest transmission?  The first posting or googlecode?

2. I noticed that the web ui has an Add Transfers setting.  Is it the torrent watch folder, the incomplete folder or the completed folder?  Does it override or replace any transmission setting - if so, which one?

3. I would like to have the files downloaded to my cache drive.  Is it also possible to install or move transmission application over there - if so, what is the best way (copy, reinstall, ...)

4. I experimented with the watch folder by copying the magnetic torrent files from btjunkie down to there.  Its works but it's a tedious manual process.  Is there a better way?

Transmission_settings.jpg.acd58a550838c3640cd11f948869e4f5.jpg

web_ui_settings.jpg.0408ee0f187da2c074bcdc743da0582c.jpg

3. I would like to have the files downloaded to my cache drive.  Is it also possible to install or move transmission application over there - if so, what is the best way (copy, reinstall, ...)

when installing from unmenu there is an option to specify the install location

4. I experimented with the watch folder by copying the magnetic torrent files from btjunkie down to there.  Its works but it's a tedious manual process.  Is there a better way?

havent tried watch folders I'm use "transmission remote GUI" on my main computer it acts almost like it was an local client.

http://code.google.com/p/transmisson-remote-gui/

1.  Where is the best place to get the latest transmission?  The first posting or googlecode?

The first post, and I will be attaching the newest version here shortly.

2. I noticed that the web ui has an Add Transfers setting.  Is it the torrent watch folder, the incomplete folder or the completed folder?  Does it override or replace any transmission setting - if so, which one?

the Add Transfer will reflect the incomplete-dir if enabled.  I think if you change the one via the transmission webGUI it will be in effect.  It does not override the value in the settings.json file.

The version I will be attaching to the first post has such a variable in it to allow you to install the transmission application to the cache drive, or at least put the important files there.

Not particularly, though there are desktop applications that can connect to the transmission daemon running on the unRAID server.

4. I experimented with the watch folder by copying the magnetic torrent files from btjunkie down to there.  Its works but it's a tedious manual process.  Is there a better way?

havent tried watch folders I'm use "transmission remote GUI" on my main computer it acts almost like it was an local client.

http://code.google.com/p/transmisson-remote-gui/

Thanks Heretic.  That works hugely better than the transmission web interface that comes with the package.  I set btjunkie to post the new torrents to it and it's working great.  

Super new with linux how does one get this "Superior" remote gui to work? Should I DL the i386 or the x86_64 one? And one I do what file do I put where to access it? Please be concise and assume I know nothing about linux but am able to follow directions. Thank you.

I believe that is about which version you are running, 32 bit (i386) or 64bit (x86_64)

Josh

Got it that makes a whole lot of freaking sense. So the webgui would be the same say if I were to access off my iphone?

Transmission has a built in WebGUI that allows you to control basic functions, just like the unRAID webGUI.  Then there are these applications that run on your local desktop that connect to the transmission daemon running on the unRAID server.

The Transmission webGUI has a "mobile" mode and will recognize if you are on a mobile device.

Any chance the Transmission version will be upgraded beyond 2.01 in this package? 

Not for a while.  I am busy reworking the airvideo package and the 2.01 version in the package works fine for me.  I don't have much motivation to fix something that is not broken, especially when I have other packages that need attention.

Any chance the Transmission version will be upgraded beyond 2.01 in this package? 

Not for a while.  I am busy reworking the airvideo package and the 2.01 version in the package works fine for me.  I don't have much motivation to fix something that is not broken, especially when I have other packages that need attention.

It does work well, I was impressed how easy it was to get setup.  I only asked because a couple of the private trackers I am on don't allow Transmission versions earlier than 2.04.

Thanks for the great package though!

There are a few changes in later Transmission releases that we likely want

*Several minor bug fixes and CPU speed improvements

*Remember downloaded files when a drive is unplugged

*File re-verification is no longer needed in some situations

*Improve support for running scripts when a torrent finishes downloading

*UDP tracker support

but we really want this one

*Small memory cache to reduce disk IO

This is the list from a well known and respected private tracker known to do actual research into their bans. Many private trackers are run by muppets who haven't even read the torrent spec and claim nevertheless to be experts:

Transmission 1.5.4 (For OS X 10.4)

Transmission 1.6.x

Transmission 1.7.x

Transmission 1.8.x

Transmission 1.92

Transmission 1.93

Transmission 2.0.x

Transmission 2.1.x

Transmission 2.2.x

Transmission 2.3.x

You can see that the current unRAID version is actually allowed. There will be private trackers with arbitrary version restrictions and some that follow "use latest" option (which is actually quite a smart one to choose).

This is the list from a well known and respected private tracker known to do actual research into their bans. Many private trackers are run by muppets who haven't even read the torrent spec and claim nevertheless to be experts:

Transmission 1.5.4 (For OS X 10.4)

Transmission 1.6.x

Transmission 1.7.x

Transmission 1.8.x

Transmission 1.92

Transmission 1.93

Transmission 2.0.x

Transmission 2.1.x

Transmission 2.2.x

Transmission 2.3.x

You can see that the current unRAID version is actually allowed. There will be private trackers with arbitrary version restrictions and some that follow "use latest" option (which is actually quite a smart one to choose).

This is the list from a private tracker I am using, which I believe is also well known and respected:

Transmission/1.22 (6228)

Transmission/1.51 (79*)

Transmission/1.53

Transmission/1.54

Transmission/1.60

Transmission/1.61

Transmission/1.76

Transmission/1.77

Transmission/1.90

Transmission/1.92 STABLE † (This indicates this version will soon be banned)

Transmission/1.93 STABLE

Transmission/2.04

Transmission/2.12

Transmission/2.13

Transmission/2.22

Transmission/2.31

There are a few changes in later Transmission releases that we likely want

*Several minor bug fixes and CPU speed improvements

*Remember downloaded files when a drive is unplugged

*File re-verification is no longer needed in some situations

*Improve support for running scripts when a torrent finishes downloading

*UDP tracker support

but we really want this one

*Small memory cache to reduce disk IO

I understand the need, I just don't have the time to test it completely.  It might not be that hard, but I need to work on the airvideo package and a few others before I go and try updating this package again.