Transmission unMenu package

I finally had a chance to test out the new .conf file and it worked for an install on my test machine running 4.7.  This was from a clean install so nothing existed before.

Can you show the complete folder tree (and files) of both the /boot/custom/transmission directory and the folder where your package is installed to.

As I wrote I seem to have 2 different settings files (one in each folder) with different setting (one with correct settings and another with incorrect settings which the daemon is using).

root@Eurekamaru:~# ls /boot/custom/transmission/
transctl*  transmission.conf/  transmission_conf/

ls /boot/custom/transmission/transmission_conf/
settings.json*  settings.local*

ls /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/
blocklists/  resume/  settings.json*  settings.json.default*  torrents/
[code]

[code]
ls /mnt/disk1/trans_config/
blocklists/  resume/  settings.json  settings.local*  torrents/

The install on a fresh system seems to be working just fine for me.  I am not sure how an update might work as I do not have an older package to test with, but everything is working for me.[/code][/code]

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finally had a chance to test out the new .conf file and it worked for an install on my test machine running 4.7.  This was from a clean install so nothing existed before.

Can you show the complete folder tree (and files) of both the /boot/custom/transmission directory and the folder where your package is installed to.

As I wrote I seem to have 2 different settings files (one in each folder) with different setting (one with correct settings and another with incorrect settings which the daemon is using).

If you have an existing configuration you can probably just rename the transmission.conf directory to transmission_conf before installing the new, or you can just delete the old transmission.conf directory.  It is unused in the new package.

mv

root@Eurekamaru:~# ls /boot/custom/transmission/
transctl*  transmission.conf/  transmission_conf/

ls /boot/custom/transmission/transmission_conf/
settings.json*  settings.local*

ls /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/
blocklists/  resume/  settings.json*  settings.json.default*  torrents/
[code]

[code]
ls /mnt/disk1/trans_config/
blocklists/  resume/  settings.json  settings.local*  torrents/

The install on a fresh system seems to be working just fine for me.  I am not sure how an update might work as I do not have an older package to test with, but everything is working for me.[/code][/code]

If I update my unmenu will I get this new .conf file for installing Transmission? Also, what should I expect during the install? I don't want to mess up. I plan on installing the drop location and incoming partial torrents to the cache drive in a folder called .transmission

Will the installer ask me all this when I run it or will it be on a settings page? Will I need to add a "stop" command to stop Transmission before a shutdown? I already have an entry to stop the CrashPlan service

thanks... looking forward to using this

If I update my unmenu will I get this new .conf file for installing Transmission?

yes.
Also, what should I expect during the install? I don't want to mess up. I plan on installing the drop location and incoming partial torrents to the cache drive in a folder called .transmission

Will the installer ask me all this when I run it or will it be on a settings page?

there is a huge settings page in the unMENU package manager.  the location is specified there.
Will I need to add a "stop" command to stop Transmission before a shutdown? I already have an entry to stop the CrashPlan service.
User-script buttons are provided to stop transmission.  You add one in the shut-down scripts like you did for crashplan if you like.

thanks... looking forward to using this

You are welcome.

User-script buttons are provided to stop transmission.  You add one in the shut-down scripts like you did for crashplan if you like.

Any details with syntax for adding a stop transmission command to the shut-down scripts would be appreciated.

Any details with syntax for adding a stop transmission command to the shut-down scripts would be appreciated.

I have this in my notes but I have not done the install yet so I can't be sure

/boot/custom/transmission/transctl stop

I have this in my notes but I have not done the install yet so I can't be sure

/boot/custom/transmission/transctl stop

Thanks.  Confirming the name/location of the shutdown script would also help assuming unMenu with Clean Powerdown script.

So my install did not go well. I updated unmenu before hand to make sure that I got the latest script. I installed and then went into the configuration edits. I changed most of the directories to /mnt/cache/.transmission/something....

I was not able to access the web ui on port 9091. There was a permissions error. I did false on the whitelist configuration entry and also tried *.*.*.* for the whitelist. I was not able to access. I dropped a .torrent file into the watch directory and it was not picked up. I don't think transmission was running.

After a reboot I deleted the directory structures and tries again on a "normal" disk (ie not the cache). I noticed that it had remembered the configuration settings from before.

What can I delete to get rid of this so I can try again? I will most likely try this in a VM environment before doing it in production

Was I supposed to edit that json file? I took a look in there and the settings did not match what I had put in the configuration parameters in unmenu

thanks

To start, I just want to thank Joe L, prostuff1, and everyone else who helped get this working! You are truly kind souls!!! :).

This was the final piece to get everything running smoothly from my unRaid server! Writes to my USB key are gone, everything is working as it should! I'm extremely happy  ;D.

One quick question, I'm not entirely clear on what the difference is between editing settings in the json file, and doing it from unMenu... I would assume if you edit unMenu, it edits the json file, but they seem to be mutually exclusive (though it was late last night when I installed, so maybe I'm just confused  :P).

I was not able to access the web ui on port 9091. There was a permissions error. I did false on the whitelist configuration entry and also tried *.*.*.* for the whitelist. I was not able to access. I dropped a .torrent file into the watch directory and it was not picked up. I don't think transmission was running.

I had a similar problem (couldn't get it working with the whitelist option on. Just changed it to false eventually, and all good.). Did you try stopping Transmission from the UnMenu menu, change the whitelist setting to false, and re-starting? If transmission is running, the change doesn't seem to stick...

To start, I just want to thank Joe L, prostuff1, and everyone else who helped get this working! You are truly kind souls!!! :).

This was the final piece to get everything running smoothly from my unRaid server! Writes to my USB key are gone, everything is working as it should! I'm extremely happy  ;D.

One quick question, I'm not entirely clear on what the difference is between editing settings in the json file, and doing it from unMenu... I would assume if you edit unMenu, it edits the json file, but they seem to be mutually exclusive (though it was late last night when I installed, so maybe I'm just confused  :P).

I had a similar problem (couldn't get it working with the whitelist option on. Just changed it to false eventually, and all good.). Did you try stopping Transmission from the UnMenu menu, change the whitelist setting to false, and re-starting? If transmission is running, the change doesn't seem to stick...

After making changes via the package  manager you must then press the re-install with edited value button.  Otherwise, the newly edited values are not applied to the working program.

Did you try stopping Transmission from the UnMenu menu, change the whitelist setting to false, and re-starting? If transmission is running, the change doesn't seem to stick...

I only had a "Stop Transmission" button, no Start button :(

I'll give it another shot later tonight but I need to know how to clear out all trace of what has been done already. Is that just clearing out anything called *transmission* in the packages folder? I think I deleted all of the other program files etc.

thanks

After making changes via the package  manager you must then press the re-install with edited value button.  Otherwise, the newly edited values are not applied to the working program.

I understand this part, it's more that I'm not sure how Transmission knows what to listen to (the updated values from unMenu, or the json file). I would expect the unMenu updates to get reflected in the json file, but I don't think that is the case (again, it was late when I was configuring things, so I may be completely off base!). And just to be clear, everything is working for me! It's purely my thirst for knowledge that is asking :).

I only had a "Stop Transmission" button, no Start button :(

The start button appears once you've pushed 'stop' button (or at least it did for me...). There was a bit of a delay before it did (I assume the start button only appears after the process is completely stopped).

The values put into the unMenu page for Transmission is what creates the settings.json file.  It actually creates a settings.local file and then moves it to settings.json.

That's how I thought it would work. I wonder why it appeared to have different values after I saved the unMenu values... Must have been the late hour. Anyways, thanks again prostuff1! :)

Thank you all for excellent work.

Not to be too greedy - how about an updated transmission version? :)

There was one posted earlier in this thread I believe.

I created the package for unMenu using a Tranmission package put together by bubbaQ.  He has said he would update the package once 5.0 is final... and I probably won't touch anything until that time.  I am working on some other things currently and don't have a lot of time to test stuff.  If I find some free time I will see what I can come up with.

So I decided to start over. I went into the /boot/packages directory and deleted everything transmission related with

rm transmission*

I then went to update unmenu to get the latest package. I got this from unmenu:

Available files on current release list:

transmission-unmenu-package.conf :Revision: 168  Date: 2010-11-09 20:52:26 -0500 (Tue, 09 Nov 2010)

unmenu.conf :Revision: 201  Date: 2010-12-23 16:20:06 -0500 (Thu, 23 Dec 2010)

which from the looks of the dates is an old conf file. I will pull the most recent one from this thread and try that. (I have modified my unmenu.conf which probably explains the "new" version above)

So I decided to start over. I went into the /boot/packages directory and deleted everything transmission related with

rm transmission*

I then went to update unmenu to get the latest package. I got this from unmenu:

Available files on current release list:

transmission-unmenu-package.conf :Revision: 168  Date: 2010-11-09 20:52:26 -0500 (Tue, 09 Nov 2010)

unmenu.conf :Revision: 201  Date: 2010-12-23 16:20:06 -0500 (Thu, 23 Dec 2010)

which from the looks of the dates is an old conf file. I will pull the most recent one from this thread and try that. (I have modified my unmenu.conf which probably explains the "new" version above)

I'm not sure why the date did not update itself, but that is the newer transmission package.

How do I completely uninstall the old version and reinstall?

This is what I do:

cd /boot/custom

rm -r transmission

cd /boot/packages

rm transmission*

delete any other locations you have placed files relating to transmission

(update unmenu in the normal way, it will download the transmission conf again)

i have the same problem  cant acces through the web interface.

whitelist was disabled by default. tried re-enabling it. disabling again. each time reinstalling.

also there is only a stop button, wich remains after pressing and refreshing.

it seems somehow whitelist is still enabled

Mar 17 12:53:49 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: Transmission 2.01 (10898) started (session.c:622)
Mar 17 12:53:49 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: RPC Server Adding address to whitelist: 127.0.0.1 (rpc-server.c:772)
Mar 17 12:53:49 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: RPC Server Serving RPC and Web requests on port 9091 (rpc-server.c:945)
Mar 17 12:53:49 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: RPC Server Whitelist enabled (rpc-server.c:949)
Mar 17 12:53:49 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: DHT Generating new id (tr-dht.c:378)
Mar 17 12:53:49 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: Using settings from "/mnt/cache/.torrents/transmission/" (daemon.c:443)
Mar 17 12:53:49 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: Saved "/mnt/cache/.torrents/transmission/settings.json" (bencode.c:1651)
Mar 17 12:53:49 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: Saved pidfile "/var/run/transmission-daemon.pid" (daemon.c:453)
Mar 17 12:53:49 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: Port Forwarding (NAT-PMP) initnatpmp succeeded (0) (natpmp.c:67)
Mar 17 12:53:49 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: Port Forwarding (NAT-PMP) sendpublicaddressrequest succeeded (2) (natpmp.c:67)
Mar 17 12:53:52 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: Port Forwarding (UPnP) Found Internet Gateway Device "http://192.168.1.1:1900/ipc" (upnp.c:105)
Mar 17 12:53:52 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: Port Forwarding (UPnP) Local Address is "192.168.1.110" (upnp.c:107)
Mar 17 12:53:52 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: Port Forwarding (UPnP) Port forwarding through "http://192.168.1.1:1900/ipc", service "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:WANIPConnection:1".  (local address: 192.168.1.110:51413) (upnp.c:194)
Mar 17 12:53:52 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: Port Forwarding (UPnP) Port forwarding successful! (upnp.c:197)
Mar 17 12:53:52 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: Port Forwarding State changed from "Not forwarded" to "Forwarded" (port-forwarding.c:89)
Mar 17 12:54:09 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: DHT Attempting bootstrap from dht.transmissionbt.com (tr-dht.c:234)

could it have to do with installing to an alternative location?

/mnt/cache/.torrents/transmission/

i have the same problem  cant acces through the web interface.

whitelist was disabled by default. tried re-enabling it. disabling again. each time reinstalling.

also there is only a stop button, wich remains after pressing and refreshing.

it seems somehow whitelist is still enabled

Mar 17 12:53:49 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: Transmission 2.01 (10898) started (session.c:622)
Mar 17 12:53:49 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: RPC Server Adding address to whitelist: 127.0.0.1 (rpc-server.c:772)
Mar 17 12:53:49 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: RPC Server Serving RPC and Web requests on port 9091 (rpc-server.c:945)
Mar 17 12:53:49 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: RPC Server Whitelist enabled (rpc-server.c:949)
Mar 17 12:53:49 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: DHT Generating new id (tr-dht.c:378)
Mar 17 12:53:49 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: Using settings from "/mnt/cache/.torrents/transmission/" (daemon.c:443)
Mar 17 12:53:49 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: Saved "/mnt/cache/.torrents/transmission/settings.json" (bencode.c:1651)
Mar 17 12:53:49 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: Saved pidfile "/var/run/transmission-daemon.pid" (daemon.c:453)
Mar 17 12:53:49 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: Port Forwarding (NAT-PMP) initnatpmp succeeded (0) (natpmp.c:67)
Mar 17 12:53:49 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: Port Forwarding (NAT-PMP) sendpublicaddressrequest succeeded (2) (natpmp.c:67)
Mar 17 12:53:52 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: Port Forwarding (UPnP) Found Internet Gateway Device "http://192.168.1.1:1900/ipc" (upnp.c:105)
Mar 17 12:53:52 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: Port Forwarding (UPnP) Local Address is "192.168.1.110" (upnp.c:107)
Mar 17 12:53:52 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: Port Forwarding (UPnP) Port forwarding through "http://192.168.1.1:1900/ipc", service "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:WANIPConnection:1".  (local address: 192.168.1.110:51413) (upnp.c:194)
Mar 17 12:53:52 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: Port Forwarding (UPnP) Port forwarding successful! (upnp.c:197)
Mar 17 12:53:52 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: Port Forwarding State changed from "Not forwarded" to "Forwarded" (port-forwarding.c:89)
Mar 17 12:54:09 Whaaat transmission-daemon[11520]: DHT Attempting bootstrap from dht.transmissionbt.com (tr-dht.c:234)

If there is only a stop button, and it does not change to a "start" button shortly after being pressed, then transmission is not being stopped.

The command being issued apparently uses the process ID stored of the running process.  If that is not tracked properly, then the stop button will not do anything.

Try

killall transmission-daemon

that should stop it.

I had the same problem with my installation.

I installed it over an existing installation and what I found out was that the files in /boot/custom/transmission had good parameters but the files in the alternate location had default parameters which did not allow the web UI.

1. Deleted the old and new installations - all transmission files (in flash drive and alternate location) including the .conf file.

2. Downloaded the .conf file again.

3. Installed the package again with needed parameters.

All worked OK.