Transmission unMenu package

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you can manually check the settings in the install location.

when this type of thing happened to me the settings on the usb stick changed but were not copied to the settings in the install location (cache)

make sure you shutdown transmission before you replace or edit  the settings file.

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, I just want to thank Prostuff and Bubba for all the work they put into these packages, the community appreciates it!

I will give my observations on this one -->

- As of now, I would say this package is fairly broken (unraid 4.7, latest version of unmenu).  The config file seems to have no bearing on the installation. - Fixed!

- Despite having told it to install to a different directory, it installed to the flash drive under INSTALL_LOCATION... which looks like a variable name, not an install location - Fixed!

- despite changing all the settings prior to doing the install, none of them were used - Fixed!

- I had to follow the steps on page 19 of this thread to manually overwrite the files to get the GUI (and program) to function - Fixed!

This is with the latest package posted in this thread.  I hope my observations help :)

EDIT - I'm having a look at the .conf file to see if I see anything that looks off.

EDIT 2 - So I may have fixed my issue.  Apparently the .conf file was hardcoded to look for "/mnt/disk1."  However, for what seemed like a good idea at the time, I don't have a disk1.  I manually change the .conf file to look for disk20 and it seems to have installed fine.  The only issue I saw, was I got the following errors -->

cp: cannot stat `/boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/resume/*': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf/torrents/*': No such file or directory

I hope that's because I had the installer move it to another drive...

I've been playing around with this for a few days now and I have nearly all the issues fixed apart from one when the server get rebooted. For some reason Transmission does not look at the settings file that the web interface in unMENU creates, I think this is the setting.local file. If I cat that file then all the settings entered in via unMENU are there but Transmission ignores this. However I can edit the settings.json file directly and enter all the changes I want, the main one is to turn off the Whitelist function. So that has Transmission working after a little more messing about than I expected.

However when I reboot the same problem with whitelist returns. If I look at the setting.json file it is back to a default setup and I am not sure where this is coming from? I have altered the settings.json.default to be how I want the settings but this is not being used. So I can at this stage delet the settings.json file and make a copy of setting.json.default and rename this. This process works and Transmission is up and running but this isn't very friendly.

So any idea where Transmission is getting the default settings.json file from so I can make that copy reflect my setup? Or, any idea why this version of the Transmission package ignores the settings created by the unMENU interface i.e. the settings.local file I think?

I'm keen to try this out. However I get a 403: Forbidden error:

--2011-08-07 16:04:58-- http://www.tcpatools.com/bubba/transmission+unraid-0.0.2-i386-bubba.tgz

Resolving www.tcpatools.com... 204.87.227.252

Connecting to www.tcpatools.com|204.87.227.252|:80... connected.

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden

2011-08-07 16:04:58 ERROR 403: Forbidden.

when unmenu tries to download the tgz file (file is zero byte size).

Do I need to do anything special to access the file (other packages seem to download OK)

Thanks

Eric

btw, if this helps anyone else here are my notes I have just created that detail my install steps;

On cache drive, create the following directories;

_torrents/download/music/flac

_torrents/download/music/mp3

_torrents/download/applications

Install Transmission from unMENU packages

If not available, download package from here;

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=8736.0

Copy to \\media\flash\packages and then restart unMENU to pickup this package

Set Transmission to restart on reboot

Check that Stop Transmission button appears in User Scripts tab of unMENU. Note, Start Transmission button will appear once Transmission is stopped

Start telnet (Putty), login with root

cd /boot/custom/transmission/

"cat transctl" and check location of config file, should be;

TRANS_CONF=/boot/custom/transmission/transmission_conf

cd transmission_conf

mcedit settings.json and check settings;

"download-dir": "/mnt/cache/_torrents/download",

"incomplete-dir": "/mnt/cache/_torrents/download",

"message-level": 0, (stops log file writing to flash drive)

"rpc-whitelist": "192.168.2.*",

"rpc-whitelist-enabled": false,

F2 save, F10 quit

Ignore /boot/custom/transmission/transmission.conf directory, seems to get created at startup

Browse to http://Media:9091/transmission/web to check Transmission is working although the Transmission GUI is much better. Download from;

http://code.google.com/p/transmisson-remote-gui/

If Transmission reverts back to default settings once unRAID restarted i.e. permission issues, stop Transmission, delete settings.json, make a copy of settings.json.default (checking the correct setting first) and rename to settings.json. Restart Transmission

• 2 weeks later...

Hey prostuff,

If you plan on updating this package, I ran into a couple of issues and I have some workarounds I would propose for the updated package.

Since transmission-bt is no longer hosting blocklist files, the Update Blocklist menu item in Transmission Remote GUI no longer works.  So I created a script that downloads the file every other day.  In order to take effect, transmission-daemon needs to be restarted, which brings me to Issue #1.

(for the purpose of the output captures, I renamed the original transctl to transctl.orig)

This is what 'transctl restart' does

! top -bn 1 | grep transmission   # just showing the current PID
8824 root      20   0 76552  44m 4676 S  0.0  1.2 168:47.09 transmission-da

! transctl.orig restart
Restarting Transmission deamon
Stopping Transmission deamon
Starting Transmission deamon

! top -bn 1 | grep transmission   # different PID, but no PIDFILE in /var/run (sorry, no output of proof)
19467 root      20   0 29976 2092 1540 S  0.0  0.1   0:00.00 transmission-da

! transctl.orig restart
/bin/cat: /var/run/transmission-daemon.pid: No such file or directory
kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] pid | jobspec ... or kill -l [sigspec]

! top -bn 1 | grep transmission   # kill -INT no-pidfile doesn't work, so enter daemon #2
19467 root      20   0 29976 2120 1564 S  0.0  0.1   0:00.00 transmission-da
19486 root      20   0 21776 2040 1496 S  0.0  0.1   0:00.01 transmission-da

! transctl.orig restart

! top -bn 1 | grep transmission   # PIDFILE 19486 was created successfully then killed, 19467 remains
19467 root      20   0 30056 2364 1776 S  0.0  0.1   0:00.00 transmission-da
19505 root      20   0 21780 2044 1496 S  0.0  0.1   0:00.00 transmission-da

! transctl.orig restart
/bin/cat: /var/run/transmission-daemon.pid: No such file or directory
kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] pid | jobspec ... or kill -l [sigspec]

! top -bn 1 | grep transmission
19667 root      20   0 21784 2048 1496 S  0.0  0.1   0:00.00 transmission-da

So it looks like it closes the daemon just fine, but for some reason it starts but no PID file is created.  On the next restart, there's no PIDFILE to kill so it just moves on to start the daemon again (this time with a PIDFILE).  In other words, every other restart generates a process with no PIDFILE. 

Which brings me to Issue#2:  'transctl kill'

19667 root      20   0 21784 2048 1496 S  0.0  0.1   0:00.00 transmission-da

! transctl.orig kill
Killing Transmission deamon

! transctl.orig kill
Killing Transmission deamon
./transctl.orig: line 25: kill: (19667) - No such process

TL;DR Here are the changes I made to transctl

Issue #1 (restart):  I put a sleep 5 between stop and start.  (5 seconds was arbitrary)

$0 stop
sleep 5
$0 start

Issue #2 (kill):  Change 'transmission-daemon' to 'transmission-da'

pkill transmission-da

I should mention I'm running transmission-daemon version 2.11.  Also, restart seems to work fine if I pause all my torrents, but breaks if I start them all (+100 seeds).  I didn't look for a magic number in the middle where it starts to break.  Hope this helps (someone? anyone? Bueller?)

• 2 weeks later...

Had a power outage last night, of course no UPS when the system finished the parity check I try to get to the transmission webgui and get this:

403: Forbidden

Unauthorized IP Address.

Either disable the IP address whitelist or add your address to it.

If you're editing settings.json, see the 'rpc-whitelist' and 'rpc-whitelist-enabled' entries.

If you're still using ACLs, use a whitelist instead. See the transmission-daemon manpage for details.

no settings were changed can you help me?

I am getting the same error message.  Any help?

Had a power outage last night, of course no UPS when the system finished the parity check I try to get to the transmission webgui and get this:

403: Forbidden

Unauthorized IP Address.

Either disable the IP address whitelist or add your address to it.

If you're editing settings.json, see the 'rpc-whitelist' and 'rpc-whitelist-enabled' entries.

If you're still using ACLs, use a whitelist instead. See the transmission-daemon manpage for details.

no settings were changed can you help me?

I am getting the same error message.  Any help?

Wait for me to update the package.  I am hoping to have an initial rewrite done by this weekend.

I found that in updating to a newer version of transmission that some of the settings.json config options have been changed/dropped completely.  I am writing a transmission package of my own this time around, so it is taking me a little longer.

Hi,

Thanks for the package, and as you're redoing things, I'm getting a problem with AirVideo since I installed transmission. It's the same error that was describe here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=6097.240. And when I don't reinstall on reboot Transmission everything seems to work ok. Having Transmission starts seems to be killing the atd process......

honestly not sure, will address it after I get the new .conf file created.

Apologies if it's been asked before, but is there a flexget companion package for transmission available for UnRaid ?  I'm looking to migrate from uTorrent to Transmission so I can sit it on my server but my research seems to indicate that Transmission doesn't natively support RSS (what are the devs thinking ?!?!!?) and you need FlashGet.

Without an RSS function., Transmission would be close to useless for me.

Apologies if it's been asked before, but is there a flexget companion package for transmission available for UnRaid ?  I'm looking to migrate from uTorrent to Transmission so I can sit it on my server but my research seems to indicate that Transmission doesn't natively support RSS (what are the devs thinking ?!?!!?) and you need FlashGet.

Without an RSS function., Transmission would be close to useless for me.

So is it flexget or flashget?

I will look into it but I doubt I will be releasing it alongside this transmission package... at least not at first.

I will look into it but I doubt I will be releasing it alongside this transmission package... at least not at first.

FlexGet - Very handy little tool.  From their website:

FlexGet is a multipurpose automation tool for content like torrents, nzbs, podcasts, comics, series, movies, etc. FlexGet is able to handle different kinds of sources like RSS-feeds, html pages and csv files. There are even some plugins for sites that do not provide any kind of useful feeds.

There are numerous plugins that allow utilizing FlexGet in interesting ways and more are being added continuously.

FlexGet is extremely useful in conjunction with applications which have watch directory support or provide interface for external utilities like FlexGet.

BitTorrent

rTorrent

uTorrent

Transmission*

Deluge*

Usenet

nzbget

sabnzb*

hellanzb

* = integrates neatly with a plugin

FlexGet - Very handy little tool.  From their website:

FlexGet is a multipurpose automation tool for content like torrents, nzbs, podcasts, comics, series, movies, etc. FlexGet is able to handle different kinds of sources like RSS-feeds, html pages and csv files. There are even some plugins for sites that do not provide any kind of useful feeds.

There are numerous plugins that allow utilizing FlexGet in interesting ways and more are being added continuously.

FlexGet is extremely useful in conjunction with applications which have watch directory support or provide interface for external utilities like FlexGet.

BitTorrent

rTorrent

uTorrent

Transmission*

Deluge*

Usenet

nzbget

sabnzb*

hellanzb

* = integrates neatly with a plugin

Bookmarked and will look into it.  No promises though on when it might come as an unMenu package.

Hi everyone,

first of all sorry if this question was already asked, i searched on the forum, and i didnt found any solution of that.

I use unraid 4.7, unmenu 1.4.rev.223, transmission-unraid-0.0.2-i386-bubba.tgz

I started to use the transmission on unraid server. I setted the torrent disk up, i opened the torrent files as well...it was everithing ok, till some minutes later 15-30 min. the transmission url does not found. I cant reach the web ui of transmission, and also cant open the unemu on my browser. I saw my unraid tower on the network etc. I found on the forum, its a memory issue, so if the ram runs out than disable unraid web interface. I had 2 GB of system memory, i have 2TB seed torrent volume, so i tought when i upgrade the ram in the server it will be solve my problem. I bought  +4GB of RAM so i have now 6GB.

BUT the issue doesnt solved. After time when i started transmission from unmenu the 6gb of ram runs out...:S

I think normaly dont need a bitorrent sofware 6gb+ RAM, i think its only a settings issue. Could you be so kind to help me, what i need to set or modify to stop this memory eating issue?

interresting: when i reboot my unraid server, and i doesnt start my unmenu (./uu) the transmission make the seed on the background and this memory problem doesnt came out. normaly in this situation used memory only 2GB. I have this memory eating issue, when i setted up in settings.json this whitelist situation, after that i can open the transmission web ui. strange for me, but im a noob, so can not see what on backstage happens.. :)