Transmission unMenu package

[

If the package was set to install and you also hit the start button then 2 instances of transmission where probably running. I only create one .pid file when hitting the start button.

I can look into changing the start script so that another instance does not get started if one is already running.

I think we have the mystery resolved then. must say i like to give you a big thanks for your generous support.

If its possible and your willing too maybe its an option to eventually make it behave as the previous start/stop button did ,the  start button turned into a stop button when transmission was running and start button when transmission was not running. that way it is less likely to start 2 instances.

cheers!

I found a bug in the way unMenu does that that caused the buttons to fail and not work.  I wanted to code them that way, but it was not working for me when I did.

I will just add a check to see if an instance is running before I allow another to be started.  Should be able to through that fix in and have a new transmission-unmenu-package.conf file up tomorrow night sometime.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a little issue:

On the http://unraid:8080/user_scripts page - I have two buttons showing for Transmission (Start/Stop) but neither are doing anything after a reboot. when I click start on either of the 2 icons to start Transmission I get a message showing:

"The rc.unraid_transmission script does not exist, please try reinstalling the application"

Despite the message on the pkg page of unmenu:

Currently Installed. Will be automatically Re-Installed upon Re-Boot (Transmission)

Any ideas?

Thanks, Thomas.    :)

I have a little issue:

On the http://unraid:8080/user_scripts page - I have two buttons showing for Transmission (Start/Stop) but neither are doing anything after a reboot. when I click start on either of the 2 icons to start Transmission I get a message showing:

"The rc.unraid_transmission script does not exist, please try reinstalling the application"

Despite the message on the pkg page of unmenu:

Currently Installed. Will be automatically Re-Installed upon Re-Boot (Transmission)

Any ideas?

Thanks, Thomas.    :)

Read the first post in the thread and give me the output of the commands that I requested.

OK, first post has a new transmission-unmenu-package.conf file up.

It has the changes that [/b]Heretic and I discussed over the last couple pages.  Assuming I did not fat finger anything it should not be possible to start another instance of transmission if one is currently running.

I think there's an error in the transctl script? There's no way to start transmission with it currently:

case "$1" in
    start)
      # Starts the Transmission deamon
      if [ -f $PIDFILE ]; then
         echo "Starting Transmission deamon"
         rm -f $PIDFILE
      else
         echo "Transmission is already running"
      fi

Seems you can only start it if a PIDFILE already exists, which is the test of whether it's running or not...but then I haven't done a lot of shell scripting so I might be reading it wrong.

OK, first post has a new transmission-unmenu-package.conf file up.

It has the changes that Heretic and I discussed over the last couple pages.  Assuming I did not fat finger anything it should not be possible to start another instance of transmission if one is currently running.

I think there's an error in the transctl script? There's no way to start transmission with it currently:

case "$1" in
    start)
      if [ -f $PIDFILE ]; then
         rm -f $PIDFILE
      else
      fi

Seems you can only start it if a PIDFILE already exists, which is the test of whether it's running or not...but then I haven't done a lot of shell scripting so I might be reading it wrong.

Yeah, I noticed that and have it fixed.  I did indeed fat finger that line (my copy and paste seemed to have fubar'd itself).  Should be uploading the file right directly.

Hey prostuff1

Not sure if this is a bug as I'm still pretty new to unraid but transmission seems to remain installed when I restart even when I don't select Enable Re-Install on Re-Boot.

Thanks for all your hard work.

The stuff will still exist as it is installed to an hard drive, most likely. The files that are extracted from the transmission_unraid***.txz file are not installed though.  The config files still exist but the application is not installed and the application will not start.

I just restarted and transmission starts up.

Package Manager shows Currently Installed. Will NOT be automatically Re-Installed upon Re-Boot.

EDIT: tried enabling and disabling Re-install on re-boot and then restarting

Same outcome

EDIT2: OK fixed. Manually deleted an autoinstall file in packages.. I think it was left over from a previous version of the package.

Perhaps that was what was causing the multiple instances being run?

I just restarted and transmission starts up.

Package Manager shows Currently Installed. Will NOT be automatically Re-Installed upon Re-Boot.

EDIT: tried enabling and disabling Re-install on re-boot and then restarting

Same outcome

EDIT2: OK fixed. Manually deleted an autoinstall file in packages.. I think it was left over from a previous version of the package.

Perhaps that was what was causing the multiple instances being run?

Yes, it likely was the problem.  Since I have changed the versions of the package (notice the 8kh, 9kh, 10kh at the end of the package name) the .auto_install file was probably named different.

Hi prostuff1,

Think I might have found a problem with your latest 'transctl' script.

I'm installing on unRAID 5.0b12a, and have just pulled the latest .conf file, and have ended up with a -10kh version of the transmission package (which I assume is the latest).

The start portion of the script on my system looks as follows:

case "$1" in
   start)
     if [ $(ps -ef | grep transm | grep -v grep | wc -l) -gt 0 ]; then
        rm -f $PIDFILE
        sleep 10
        test -f /etc/unraid-version && UNRAID_VERSION=`cat /etc/unraid-version
| awk '{split($0,a,"="); print a[2]}' | awk '{split($0,b,"-"); print b[1]}'`
        if [ "${UNRAID_VERSION}" = "5.0" ]; then
           cd "${THE_INSTALL_DIR}"
           chown -R nobody:users .
           chmod 755 "${THE_INSTALL_DIR}"/conf/settings.json
           mkdir -p "${THE_DOWNLOAD_DIR}"
           chown -R nobody:users "${THE_DOWNLOAD_DIR}"
           mkdir -p "${THE_INCOMPLETE_DIR}"
           chown -R nobody:users "${THE_INCOMPLETE_DIR}"
           mkdir -p "${THE_WATCH_DIR}"
           chown -R nobody:users "${THE_WATCH_DIR}"
           mkdir -p /var/run/transmission
           chown -R nobody:users /var/run/transmission
           usermod -s /bin/bash nobody > /dev/null 2>&1
           su nobody -c "/usr/bin/transmission-daemon -g $TRANS_CONF --pid-file
$PIDFILE"
           echo "Transmission started as nobody"
        else
           cd "${THE_INSTALL_DIR}"
           /usr/bin/transmission-daemon -g $TRANS_CONF --pid-file $PIDFILE
           echo "Transmission started as root"
        fi
     else
     fi
 ;;

Now, here's the problem. The 'if [ $(ps -ef | grep transm | grep -v grep | wc -l) -gt 0 ]; then' test is always going to return zero when transmission isn't running.

Therefore, the script will never start the daemon, as you are testing for greater than 0.

When I run it (have made sure no daemon is running, and that the /var/run/transmission directory is empty), it simply drops down to the 'Transmission is already running' echo statement.

Changing the '-gt' to '-eq' fixes the problem for me.

Having thought about this some more, even the test with '-eq' isn't ideal. Trying to debug something else, I've turned on logging with transmission, and called the logfile transmission.log. As a matter of routine, I'm running 'tail -f transmission.log' in another terminal. The test in the start script gets a match for my logfile tail, and won't start transmission. It would probably be best to grep on the entire transmission filename e.g. transmission-daemon, assuming that this is the only process that gets started.

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi prostuff1,

Think I might have found a problem with your latest 'transctl' script.

I'm installing on unRAID 5.0b12a, and have just pulled the latest .conf file, and have ended up with a -10kh version of the transmission package (which I assume is the latest).

The start portion of the script on my system looks as follows:

case "$1" in
   start)
     if [ $(ps -ef | grep transm | grep -v grep | wc -l) -gt 0 ]; then
        rm -f $PIDFILE
        sleep 10
        test -f /etc/unraid-version && UNRAID_VERSION=`cat /etc/unraid-version
| awk '{split($0,a,"="); print a[2]}' | awk '{split($0,b,"-"); print b[1]}'`
        if [ "${UNRAID_VERSION}" = "5.0" ]; then
           cd "${THE_INSTALL_DIR}"
           chown -R nobody:users .
           chmod 755 "${THE_INSTALL_DIR}"/conf/settings.json
           chown -R nobody:users "${THE_DOWNLOAD_DIR}"
           chown -R nobody:users "${THE_INCOMPLETE_DIR}"
           chown -R nobody:users "${THE_WATCH_DIR}"
           chown -R nobody:users /var/run/transmission
           usermod -s /bin/bash nobody > /dev/null 2>&1
           su nobody -c "/usr/bin/transmission-daemon -g $TRANS_CONF --pid-file
$PIDFILE"
           echo "Transmission started as nobody"
        else
           cd "${THE_INSTALL_DIR}"
           /usr/bin/transmission-daemon -g $TRANS_CONF --pid-file $PIDFILE
           echo "Transmission started as root"
        fi
     else
     fi
 ;;

Now, here's the problem. The 'if [ $(ps -ef | grep transm | grep -v grep | wc -l) -gt 0 ]; then' test is always going to return zero when transmission isn't running.

Therefore, the script will never start the daemon, as you are testing for greater than 0.

When I run it (have made sure no daemon is running, and that the /var/run/transmission directory is empty), it simply drops down to the 'Transmission is already running' echo statement.

Changing the '-gt' to '-eq' fixes the problem for me.

Thanks for catching that.  Work has been busy so have not had a chance to test my changes. thanks for catching this.

Having thought about this some more, even the test with '-eq' isn't ideal. Trying to debug something else, I've turned on logging with transmission, and called the logfile transmission.log. As a matter of routine, I'm running 'tail -f transmission.log' in another terminal. The test in the start script gets a match for my logfile tail, and won't start transmission. It would probably be best to grep on the entire transmission filename e.g. transmission-daemon, assuming that this is the only process that gets started.

Cheers,

Andy.

There are not many that are going to do what you did... but still grepping for the whole "transmission-daemon" should not be overly hard ;)

New transmission-unmenu-package.conf

Hello.

I have installed Transmission 2.33 in my unraid server but I have 2 problems.

1. The torrents in the Web Interface are lost if I shutdown and reboot the server. I have to re-open the torrents in order to continue downloading/seeding. Is this behavior normal? I have enabled Re-install on Reboot at the end of the transmission installation.

2. If I Enter a URL of the torrent (instead of downloading the torrent file) transmission does not respond. Only select a torrent file to upload works.

Thank you.

Hello.

1. The torrents in the Web Interface are lost if I shutdown and reboot the server. I have to re-open the torrents in order to continue downloading/seeding. Is this behavior normal? I have enabled Re-install on Reboot at the end of the transmission installation.

How are you shutting down your server?

2. If I Enter a URL of the torrent (instead of downloading the torrent file) transmission does not respond. Only select a torrent file to upload works.

Thank you.

That part has always been flaky for me.  Just download the .torrent and be done with it.

i drop them to watch dir usally but even if i copy the link and add it to transmission works very well.........unraid 5 beta11 very satisfied with transmission 2.33(older ver had issues) so please when update it keep this one dont delete it

When we will have flexget :)? this will complete transmission for us that dont use sab,sick,couch

donate will speed up things? (no offence-cause anyway i would like anyway to give away something small-where to?)

i drop them to watch dir usally but even if i copy the link and add it to transmission works very well.........unraid 5 beta11 very satisfied with transmission 2.33(older ver had issues) so please when update it keep this one dont delete it

When we will have flexget :)? this will complete transmission for us that dont use sab,sick,couch

Flexget is probably 3 weeks out honestly.  I have real life stuff happening that I need to get done before it gets cold(er) around my area.

donate will speed up things? (no offence-cause anyway i would like anyway to give away something small-where to?)

I always appreciate donations, and it will light a little fire under me to devote more time to it when possible.  I can't make any promises though.  If you would like to donate there is a link in my signature or you can use the paypal donate button here.

Hello.

Thank you.

That part has always been flaky for me.  Just download the .torrent and be done with it.

In the Main section of the web interface (//ip_of_tower/main.htm) I stop the array and then I press the Power Down button.

Also I have disabled the watch folder in the variables. Maybe that's the cause?

Thanks for your help.

Hello.

Thank you.

That part has always been flaky for me.  Just download the .torrent and be done with it.

In the Main section of the web interface (//ip_of_tower/main.htm) I stop the array and then I press the Power Down button.

Also I have disabled the watch folder in the variables. Maybe that's the cause?

Thanks for your help.

You need to stop transmission first via unMenu and the User Scripts section.

I have recently built me my 1st unraid server and i am wanting to add transmission to it. However i am adding a cache drive to my server tomorrrow because i remember reading or seeing a video where you can use the cache drive to download to and then schedule to copy the completed files off the cache drive to your array. So here are my questions:

-Is it true i would be able to have transmission download and store completed files on the cache drive and then schedule to copy them over like once a week?

-If so i assume i could manually tell where i want the torrent to store the completed file to certain folders on the cache drive such as "docs", "pics", "etc" and have a schedule to copy over for each.

-would i be able to share those folders on my network as well off the cache drive so i can still access before scheduled copy to array?

-If the prior questions are possible, what is the proper setup for this as far as file structure and user shares and anything else?

I'm sure this has been answered in this thread already but i can not not find the search this thread option.

Thanks,

Removes