Transmission unMenu package

just installed transmission and it seems to be working well... i do have an issue though, i like to organize my downloaded into various folders when they are done.. i can copy files out of the download folder but i cannot cut or delete files when i'm done.. I get a user read/write access error any idea why? or how to fix?

says something like i need server/user permission to make changes to file...

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just installed transmission and it seems to be working well... i do have an issue though, i like to organize my downloaded into various folders when they are done.. i can copy files out of the download folder but i cannot cut or delete files when i'm done.. I get a user read/write access error any idea why? or how to fix?

Check the umask settings for the config file.

Check the umask settings for the config file.

it's at 18 what should i change it to?

Use the link I gave you in the package manager and read up on it.  Maybe try setting it to 0, but I don't know, it will be different for different people and there setup.

thanks... i'm trying to set it to 0 but keep getting errors

sed: couldn't open temporary file /boot/packages/sedSVoBep: Read-only file system

i'm in 5beta12a does this mean my flash is set to read only? how do i make it read and write?

Use the link I gave you in the package manager and read up on it.  Maybe try setting it to 0, but I don't know, it will be different for different people and there setup.

sed: couldn't open temporary file /boot/packages/sedSVoBep: Read-only file system

i'm in 5beta12a does this mean my flash is set to read only? how do i make it read and write?

Sounds like your flash drive is corrupt, shutdown the server and run a checkdisk on the flash drive from a windows machine.

Use the link I gave you in the package manager and read up on it.  Maybe try setting it to 0, but I don't know, it will be different for different people and there setup.

Sounds like your flash drive is corrupt, shutdown the server and run a checkdisk on the flash drive from a windows machine.

alright that fixed the write issue thanks.. doing a parity check now so will try again after that.

So i finally looked through the entire thread since i was at work. :P

Anyway i went ahead and installed the cache drive and transmission this weekend but missed the option for a cache install. So i'll need to reinstall it. But so far it worked out pretty good, but it totally slows down access to my array tremendously when transmission is running. I noticed this last night when trying to watch a video off it. It took forever to load and then kept buffering after about 2 seconds of play back. But when i stopped transmission it was totally fine, it even slowed it down if nothing was being downloaded or uploaded. What could be causing the slow down?

I also noticed a major delay when i telnet into it to do a mc transfer. the slow down made me not even want to attempt the mc transfer until after my current torrents were done downloading. I wasnt trying to transfer active torrents either btw.

So when i reinstall transmission on the cache drive, can i still use the steps andyjayh provided on page 21 for the cache drive setup?

Thanks

PS. does this forum really not have a search with in thread option or am i just dumb and cant find it?  

Anyway i went ahead and installed the cache drive and transmission this weekend but missed the option for a cache install. So i'll need to reinstall it. But so far it worked out pretty good, but it totally slows down access to my array tremendously when transmission is running. I noticed this last night when trying to watch a video off it. It took forever to load and then kept buffering after about 2 seconds of play back. But when i stopped transmission it was totally fine, it even slowed it down if nothing was being downloaded or uploaded. What could be causing the slow down?

Not sure, I have an older version of transmission up and running on my production server and I can download and upload and play back content without issue.  You might be saturating your network, depending on what settings you have specified.

So when i reinstall transmission on the cache drive, can i still use the steps andyjayh provided on page 21 for the cache drive setup?

There is no longer a need to do that.  The newest package should have that bug fixed.

PS. does this forum really not have a search with in thread option or am i just dumb and cant find it?  

Go to said thread, then use the search box.  The search box searches within whatever area you are.

First of all thankyou for your work on this. Its excellent.

Could I make a feature request?

Would it be feasible to allow a choice of Transmission version at install. Those of us that use private trackers are often restricted in which version that we can use (with it typically not being the latest release). For example the current 2.33 works for me, but I will have to pass if you roll Transmission 2.41 into the next version of the package. I know some trackers are still down at 2.01 for the latest approved version(!)

Most of don't have the linux knowledge necessary to downgrade program versions in a way in which we can for windows so we live in fear of a bugfix or enhancement moving transmission onto a version not approved (or worse explicitly disallowed) on our tracker of choice.

Cheers

Eric

anyone??

how do you guys manage your torrents then? you leave everything in the download folder?

are you connecting to the server as root?  If so please create a user via the unRAID webGUI and then use that user to log into the server.

yes it's just me so i do everything as root...

i created a user under the webgui but i don't see it...how do i login as that user?

sorry for the noob question i'm kinda lost.

First of all thankyou for your work on this. Its excellent.

Could I make a feature request?

Would it be feasible to allow a choice of Transmission version at install. Those of us that use private trackers are often restricted in which version that we can use (with it typically not being the latest release). For example the current 2.33 works for me, but I will have to pass if you roll Transmission 2.41 into the next version of the package. I know some trackers are still down at 2.01 for the latest approved version(!)

Most of don't have the linux knowledge necessary to downgrade program versions in a way in which we can for windows so we live in fear of a bugfix or enhancement moving transmission onto a version not approved (or worse explicitly disallowed) on our tracker of choice.

Cheers

Eric

Probably not going to give an option of install versions.  I might be able to now that I am controlling the transmission package but that would probably take quite a change to the main .conf file.

I will think about it, but you can always just use the old .conf and not use the new one.

@prostuff1

Keeping the older .conf file available would certainly be enough in my opinion.

Also I presume that at some point this package will be fully rolled into unmenu and become available in a default unmenu install. If so it might be useful to note somewhere in the package description what version of Transmission is installed and where to get an earlier .conf file if a different version is needed.

I'm voicing this because some private trackers are very picky (and seemingly arbitrary) about client versions and many/most are now closed to general admission so we all run scared from the mods...

Again thanks for doing this at all.

Cheers

Eric

@prostuff1

Keeping the older .conf file available would certainly be enough in my opinion.

Also I presume that at some point this package will be fully rolled into unmenu and become available in a default unmenu install. If so it might be useful to note somewhere in the package description what version of Transmission is installed and where to get an earlier .conf file if a different version is needed.

I'm voicing this because some private trackers are very picky (and seemingly arbitrary) about client versions and many/most are now closed to general admission so we all run scared from the mods...

Again thanks for doing this at all.

Cheers

Eric

putting #AUTOUPDATE=NO at the top of the .conf file will cause it to never be overwritten by an unMenu update.

I will add the transmission version to the description to make it a little more obvious (for reference the main package name has the version in it).

Not sure, I have an older version of transmission up and running on my production server and I can download and upload and play back content without issue.  You might be saturating your network, depending on what settings you have specified.

There is no longer a need to do that.  The newest package should have that bug fixed.

Go to said thread, then use the search box.  The search box searches within whatever area you are.

thanks pro,

hopefully i get to reinstalling transmission before the week is over. If i continue to have the same issue should i run the script from your original post and post the results? also thanks for pointing out how to search w in a thread.

Fresh install on Transmission unMENU package. I have 2 users "root" and "admin". I use root for telnet/webUI and admin for everything else. Both have read/write. After running new permissions everything is set to nobody:users. If I manually move/edit everything it gets set to admin:users. I'm not sure if this is correct behavior/usage which is why i'm explaining it first.

I set the install dir to /mnt/user/Plugins/Transmission and the download directory to /mnt/user/Plugins/Transmission/Downloads . Plugins is my user share. It correctly installs in there, and then I transfer over a few test torrents/files for seeding. It correctly verifies that they exist. However when i'm on my "admin" user I am unable to delete.

The files inside the Tramission folder are set to Nobody:users, and i'm unable to rename/delete any of them. I did a chown -R nobody:users /mnt/user/Plugins/Transmission and still cannot access this on my "admin" user. This is the same case with my SABnzbd folders, but my SickBeard folder is fine... Same permissions.

I don't understand unRAID's file permissions at all. It seems I cannot get anything to work correctly because of simple user permission issues. I could really used a explanation of all this, i've been using unRAID for years and this has been a major problem ever since 5.0 betas starting rolling out.

Do some reading up on permissions and how they work.

Also check out the umask setting of the Transmission package itself.

Care to give a link? I've read/searched about this issue for hours on end for the last week and many hours before. I always give up on it. Everytime I bring it up people always say "do some research", yet I can't find a single detailed documentation about user permissions and what your suppose to do on 5.0. There's hundreds of posts having issues, and each solution i've tried doesn't work for me. The best thing i've found is people claiming you shouldn't be using "root".

I've actually been debating dropping unRAID because of it... All i've been able to do is use it as a storage server, and I need more from it now because i'm tired of leaving another computer on to handle my usenet/torrents. Everyone on here seems to assume your knowledge of linux/unraid is higher than what mine is. I know windows, i've never used linux in my life unless you count unRAID.

Care to give a link? I've read/searched about this issue for hours on end for the last week and many hours before. I always give up on it. Everytime I bring it up people always say "do some research", yet I can't find a single detailed documentation about user permissions and what your suppose to do on 5.0. There's hundreds of posts having issues, and each solution i've tried doesn't work for me. The best thing i've found is people claiming you shouldn't be using "root".

I've actually been debating dropping unRAID because of it... All i've been able to do is use it as a storage server, and I need more from it now because i'm tired of leaving another computer on to handle my usenet/torrents. Everyone on here seems to assume your knowledge of linux/unraid is higher than what mine is. I know windows, i've never used linux in my life unless you count unRAID.

The permissions are not unique to unRAID, they are linux permissions.  Do some google searching on linux permission and also look into the umask setting.  someone reported a page or two back about having to set umask to 0 if I remember correctly.

I don't change any of the settings.json config stuff to anything but default.

The permissions are not unique to unRAID, they are linux permissions.  Do some google searching on linux permission and also look into the umask setting.  someone reported a page or two back about having to set umask to 0 if I remember correctly.

I don't change any of the settings.json config stuff to anything but default.

Setting umask to 0 results in everything in the Tranmissions folder being read/writable but the "settings.json" file. Is that normal?

I have to edit some variables, such as moving the install/download directory because I don't have a cache drive (yet). I'm starting to winder if permissions are different on the cache drive, and if buying one and moving it on there would solve all my issues. I have a friend bringing a spare hard drive over this weekend so I can try it with that... but my hopes are pretty low at the moment. I've tried every plugin/package known to man and failed with each and it's definitely user error.

Setting umask to 0 results in everything in the Tranmissions folder being read/writable but the "settings.json" file. Is that normal?

I have to edit some variables, such as moving the install/download directory because I don't have a cache drive (yet). I'm starting to winder if permissions are different on the cache drive, and if buying one and moving it on there would solve all my issues. I have a friend bringing a spare hard drive over this weekend so I can try it with that... but my hopes are pretty low at the moment. I've tried every plugin/package known to man and failed with each and it's definitely user error.

If Transmission is running then the settings.json file is probably locked from changes.  If Transmission is running you should be able to change the majority of the settings via the web interface.