Transmission unMenu package

Setting umask to 0 results in everything in the Tranmissions folder being read/writable but the "settings.json" file. Is that normal?

I have to edit some variables, such as moving the install/download directory because I don't have a cache drive (yet). I'm starting to winder if permissions are different on the cache drive, and if buying one and moving it on there would solve all my issues. I have a friend bringing a spare hard drive over this weekend so I can try it with that... but my hopes are pretty low at the moment. I've tried every plugin/package known to man and failed with each and it's definitely user error.

If Transmission is running then the settings.json file is probably locked from changes.  If Transmission is running you should be able to change the majority of the settings via the web interface.

Everything is working now! My unRAID was a mess, so I decided wipe the USB stick and start over fresh. Got SABnzbd, SickBeard, and Transmission all setup and then rebooted and everything stayed.

It all has to do with cache drive vs no cache drive. After I put in a spare drive as a cache drive, and kept the programs on that, the file permission issues went away.

Thanks this is going to save me about 150W 24/7.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Getting an error that says "Error: No data found! Ensure your drives are connected or use "Set Location". To re-download, remove the torrent and re-add it."

On version 2.33

I have a watched folder setup and then a different download folder, this used to work.

Thanks

I saw such an error but only after the disk ran out of space so I assume it related.

I'm getting the following error when attempting to install transmission -->

ls: cannot access /mnt/disk[1-20]: No such file or directory

And then it doesn't install.  Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

I'm getting the following error when attempting to install transmission -->

And then it doesn't install.  Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

Do you have no disks assigned in your array?  or at least no disk1?

Anyway, change the logic and new .conf uploaded.

Hi there running the latest beta and latest transmission .conf and upon on restart it's not being reinstalled. I have re install on reboot enabled and have never ran any other version of transmission. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Read the first post

And your array has to auto start for the package to install and start.

I got this errors when trying to install

Package transmission_unraid-2.33-i486-11kh.txz installed.

/boot/packages/transmission_unraid-2.33-i486-11kh.txz.manual_install: line 125: unexpected token `|', conditional binary operator expected
/boot/packages/transmission_unraid-2.33-i486-11kh.txz.manual_install: line 125: syntax error near `|'
/boot/packages/transmission_unraid-2.33-i486-11kh.txz.manual_install: line 125: `if [[ $(ls /mnt/ | wc -l) | wc -l) -eq 0 ]]; then'

transmission_unraid-2.33-i486-11kh.txz is now installed:

And try to start from unmenu

The rc.unraid_transmission script does not exist, please try reinstalling the application

I got this errors when trying to install

Package transmission_unraid-2.33-i486-11kh.txz installed.

/boot/packages/transmission_unraid-2.33-i486-11kh.txz.manual_install: line 125: unexpected token `|', conditional binary operator expected
/boot/packages/transmission_unraid-2.33-i486-11kh.txz.manual_install: line 125: syntax error near `|'
/boot/packages/transmission_unraid-2.33-i486-11kh.txz.manual_install: line 125: `if [[ $(ls /mnt/ | wc -l) | wc -l) -eq 0 ]]; then'

transmission_unraid-2.33-i486-11kh.txz is now installed:

And try to start from unmenu

The rc.unraid_transmission script does not exist, please try reinstalling the application

foiled again by copy and past

fixed, check the first post

edit: Please disregard my post, turns out it was a problem with a torrent I was downloading

Transmission has been working great for me until last weekend. I had to reset my router a few times which may have something to do with my problem.

When I start transmission its fine for a few minutes then I get:

"Connection Failed Could not connect to the server. You may need to reload the page to reconnect."

The torrrents continue to download but I cannot access the web ui from my any of the machines on the network.

I did many new installs and added the latest config file but still cannot get reliable access to the web interface (transmission working fine in background all the time).

I have a static ip address which works perfectly well for everything else. Sometimes when I install/start/stop transmission the page will crash after the request is made but the request will work.

Sabnzbd and sickbeard are working fine.

Transmission has been working great for me until last weekend. I had to reset my router a few times which may have something to do with my problem.

When I start transmission its fine for a few minutes then I get:

"Connection Failed Could not connect to the server. You may need to reload the page to reconnect."

The torrrents continue to download but I cannot access the web ui from my any of the machines on the network.

the responsiveness often stops after a adding a big torrent. i'm using preallocation method 2.

I noticed changing this would shorten the duration of the non responsiveness.

this might be what is happening

Hi,

Just installed this package and running great!! Ive just moved to unRAID from a QNAP device and one thing im missing is being able to add torrents from my iPhone.

There is a bookmarklet available ( https://github.com/bulljit/Transmission-Add-Torrent-Bookmarkelet/wiki ) but this requires a couple of files to be installed into the web gui directory. Unfortunately I'm quite new to unRAID and haven't been able to find the install directory... could anyone point me in the right direction please?!

Also Im not sure if these files would survive a restart, but thinking it should just be able to copy them over from the flash drive ever restart with a line in the go file, yes?!

Many thanks in advance!

For anyone wanting an easy to install and configure package for torrenting you can find it via the attached .conf files.

Please download the .conf files, place them in the packages folder and from there you can configure the variables to your hearts content.

I have taken bubbaQ's transctl script (thanks bubbaQ) but other than that file most of this package is a re-write.

The version of Transmission that is installed is 2.33.

Thanks for your  hard work! I installed this version rather flawlessly allthough at some point it asked for a file that was not there nor could it be downloaded: ldap something. Apart from this the installation went fine... now running transmission !! Thanks!

If you have any questions feel free to use this thread for discussion.  I will try and answer any question that come up.

If you have problems I would like to see the output of the below:

ls -al /var/run/transmission
cat /var/run/transmission/transmission-daemon.pid
ls -al INSTALL_LOCATION_OF_TRANSMISSION
ps -ef | grep trans
cat PACKAGE_DIRECTORY/transmission_unraid-2.33-i486-8kh.txz.auto_install > /boot/transmission_autoinstall.txt

You will need to download the transmission-unmenu-package.conf and the libevent package from this thread and then grab the curl, libidn, openldap, and glibc from the pyLoad thread here.

EDIT: 11-10-2010

I have found an issue with the install package so please do not use it for now.  I have a request out to JoeL for assistance and will update this thread when we have a solution.

EDIT: 11-13-2010

JoeL has attached a working version to a post below.  Please download and test that version.

EDIT: 11-17-2010

Attached to this post is the most recent version of the package.  I added the watch directory items requested by one of the users below.

EDIT: 11-20-2010

Just wanted to give an update to everyone that Joe L. and I are working on an updated package.  Give us a little while and I will replace the one attached to this post with that one (or Joe L will add it to the main unMenu distribution).

EDIT: 12-4-2010

Another update: with the new update to unMenu, MyMain, and the syslog viewer came the update to the transmission package.  I checked it out very quickly but did not get a chance to test it out. Along with this update came the addition of the "watched" folder and related settings in the config file.

EDIT: 12-6-2010

The update on 12-4-2010 accidentally changed a few pieces that made the package variables persist and get set up correctly.  Please update, via unMenu, to the latest version

EDIT:3-17-2011

The update has gone out and does work... with one caveat... You will need to delete all previous installs of the Transmission package.  I hope to fix this, but an occupied with other things right now. To delete all remnants of the previous install (which will cause you to lose the "resume" folder that you currently have) type the below three commands once you are telneted into the server.

/boot/custom/transmission/transctl kill

find /boot/custom/ -name "transmission*" -exec rm -rf {} \;

find /boot/packages/ -name "transmission*" -exec rm -rf {} \;

rm /usr/bin/transmission-daemon

rm /usr/bin/transmissioncli

EDIT:3-28-2011

There is an updated package attached to this post for now.  When people have used it for a little while and if nothing major is found I will have JoeL include it for mass distribution within unMenu.  The above commands can be used again to update to this version, a clean slate would probably be best to work from. After you move the new .conf file into place you will have to reinstall Transmission.

EDIT:5-20-2011

I have just attached the newest version of the .conf file.  Please download this one attached here and report your findings.

EDIT:9-23-2011I have removed the package attached here as I am in the closing stages of releasing a new one.  I will update this thread when that time has come.

EDIT:9-25-2011

Attached are the new files needed for the newest release of the transmission package.

SO WITHOUT FURTHER DELAY

I have attached the first major overhall of the transmission package.  This is a significant update to the unMenu conf and the transmission version in itself.

NOTE: With so many changes all around I CAN NOT guarantee what will happen if you try to install this over the top of the old package.  Transmission itself changed quite a few of the settings.json stuff so some config values no longer exist to even use.

1. The whole package no longer uses bubbaQ's transmission package.  

2. I have borrowed the transctl script he was using and modified it for my use. (Thanks bubbaQ)

3. Nothing is installed to the flash drive any longer

4. The package will run as nobody if running 5.0bX and root if running 4.7

5. There are a couple of packages that have to be installed and those are attached to the first post.

If you have a previous install I can't guarantee I will help out.  I know I created the previous package but SO many things have changed with the .conf and Transmission itself that "fixing" an install over a previous install is just something I don't have time for.

EDIT:9-25-2011

I have fixed the inconsistencies and everything should work on 4.7 correctly now. You will need to download the transmission-unmenu-package.conf and the libevent package from this thread and then grab the curl, libidn, openldap, and glibc from the pyLoad thread here.

EDIT:10-02-2011

Some changes to the start process to check for an already running instance of transmission.

EDIT:10-05-2011

Modifications to the start process thanks to Bagpuss for pointing out the issues.

EDIT:11-13-2011

Fixed a slight logic issue.

EDIT:11-14-2011

Fixed the fix

Can you verify whether I am understanding the umask variable correctly? It seems that the umask variable in the Transmission unMenu script is in decimal which is then converted into octal (18 decimal = 22 octal = default umask setting). This is equal to 000010010 binary, which is the inverse of 111101101, or 755 octal, which are the permission that the directories are set to. However, the files have permissions 110100100 or 644... how do I change this? ...Or are files not supposed to have the x permission activated, which would explain it?

If what I'm guessing above is correct then, to set permissions to 770, do I set umask to 7?

Also, does it matter that the owner is root vs nobody?

Thanks!

I'm having similar problems here. I learned about umask settings from here

Octal value : Permission

0 : read, write and execute

1 : read and write

2 : read and execute

3 : read only

4 : write and execute

5 : write only

6 : execute only

7 : no permissions

So it seems to me that I could set transmission's umask permissions to:

for owner: read/write/execute, group read/write/execute, and others read only

When I edit transmission's uMenu package settings, I up date umask setting to 003, save it. Reinstall with values, then get this error message:

Stopped Transmission Process 32219
Created settings.json file
Created unraid.d directory
Created init script, /etc/rc.d/unraid.d/rc.unraid_transmission
Created unmenu start script, /boot/unmenu/42-unmenu_user_script_start_transmission
Created unmenu start script, /boot/unmenu/42-unmenu_user_script_stop_transmission
Starting Transmission deamon
mkdir: cannot create directory `': No such file or directory
chown: cannot access `': No such file or directory
[09:49:46.257] JSON parser failed in /mnt/cache/.transmission/conf/settings.json at line 20, column 11: "03,
"watch-dir":"
Transmission started as nobody
Please go Here to get to the Transmission web interface

The transmissions daemon does not run, and seems to be broken. I checked /mnt/cache/.transmissions/conf/settings.json, and the

"umask": 003,

Is in there, and looks like a properly formatted.... It's weird that my setting is 003, but the error is coming up

column 11: "03,
"watch-dir":"

only.

I tried making 003 to 03, and get the same error.

Seems to be that only one digit (0) will work in the umask variable for transmission to start up properly. Why is this?

Well I sorted the web interface issue, and made it consistent over reboots by just copying the files into the /usr/share/transmission directory at reboot via the go script

Next question is, Transmission daemon doesn't seem to be stopping when the array is stopped. Looked into it a bit, and apparently any rc.* scripts should run when the array stops. However, this doesn't appear to be happening, and so the drives dont unmount until you manually go in and stop the daemon.

Has the rc.* script feature been replaced with emhttp_event mention in the last few release notes?!

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Well I sorted the web interface issue, and made it consistent over reboots by just copying the files into the /usr/share/transmission directory at reboot via the go script

Next question is, Transmission daemon doesn't seem to be stopping when the array is stopped. Looked into it a bit, and apparently any rc.* scripts should run when the array stops. However, this doesn't appear to be happening, and so the drives dont unmount until you manually go in and stop the daemon.

Has the rc.* script feature been replaced with emhttp_event mention in the last few release notes?!

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

unMenu packages do not tie into the the emhttp_events.  Never have and probably never will.  If you want something that does... then a .plg file will have to be created and I just don't have the time to do that right now.  There are start and stop buttons on the unMenu User Scripts page to start/stop transmission before you attempt to stop the array.

As far as the web directory goes, glad you found it. I am not going to add these types of things as there is already a web interface and exposing this to the outside world could be a security risk.

edit the json file manually, and place quote marks around the 003.

See if you can then start transmission manually after that.

That seems to have worked. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting back on the success.  It is sometimes a guess as to which variables in the .json file need quotes around them.

I have uploaded a new .conf file for transmission and I would appreciated it if you could test it (delete the previous install) and let me know if it works.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting back on the success.  It is sometimes a guess as to which variables in the .json file need quotes around them.

I have uploaded a new .conf file for transmission and I would appreciated it if you could test it (delete the previous install) and let me know if it works.

Thanks.

I did the reinstall, and the umask appears to be working. The unmenu Pkg Manager reports the umask as "'003", (and the Install Location "/mnt/cache/.transmission"), but when I looked at the /mnt/cache/.transmission/conf/settings.json, the umask was still at "0,". But perhaps it's still all good somewhere else.

I did a new download, and the permissions came through as -rw-rw-rw-, which is 666 ... hmm. I thought 003 would equal 774 rwxrwxrw-

But I'm happy. Thanks!

Thanks.

I did the reinstall, and the umask appears to be working. The unmenu Pkg Manager reports the umask as "'003", (and the Install Location "/mnt/cache/.transmission"), but when I looked at the /mnt/cache/.transmission/conf/settings.json, the umask was still at "0,". But perhaps it's still all good somewhere else.

I did a new download, and the permissions came through as -rw-rw-rw-, which is 666 ... hmm. I thought 003 would equal 774 rwxrwxrw-

But I'm happy. Thanks!

I will have to look into it later, thanks for reporting your findings once again.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to request a plg for this package. Thanks!

I believe someone is working on one, but I am not going to be making one anytime in the near future... sorry.

I am running 5.0b6a on my production machine so I am still going to be using unMenu for my packages for now.  Once 5.0 goes final and everything looks to be stable I will switch my packages over to the plugin system.

Hello.

Recently I installed the apcupsd package and the following problem occurred in Transmission:

The .torrent files that I put in the watch dir are not automatically added in the webui.

I have to go through Open>Browse... in order to point to the .torrent

Also the .torrent files in the watch dir do not take the .added extension, after I manually Open them.

I tried stopping and restarting the Transmission daemon but the problem remains.

I never had this issue before. Any ideas?