[SOLVED] VM running off of single, dedicated disk...

rmp5s

10 minutes ago, rmp5s said:

Like this?

image.thumb.png.df58f963f04241fd3c3fb89880b1a9b8.png

<disk type='block' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source dev='/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Samsung_SSD_860_S3Z1NB0M229066F' index='1'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>

<boot order='1'/>
      <alias name='sata0-0-2'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>

On 10/31/2019 at 1:09 PM, rmp5s said:

I have a W10 VM that I use (try to use, anyway...) to render videos in Adobe.  It's just on the array and the disk speeds are SO...INCREDIBLY...SLOW...that it takes an unbelievably long time to render.  I stopped a render yesterday after over 2 hours because it was BARELY making progress...my flaccid dual core laptop did the entire render in that same amount of time.  At the rate the server was going, it would seriously have taken 10 hours?...maybe 12?  I don't even know.  It's INCREDIBLY slow and, when I look at resource manager, I notice the disk access is pegged.  Disk speeds seem to be the culprit. 

So...I have a spare Samsung 860 Evo laying around.  This got me thinking, how could I install it and dedicate it to the VM?  What I'm wondering is, is it possible to assign that disk ONLY to that VM?  Maybe using "unassigned devices"?  Also, would it be possible to move the VM onto the SSD after I install it or will I have to create a new VM?  No big deal if I have to reroll a new VM.

Thank you!!

Are you setting up a new Windows 10 VM or trying to convert your original VM to your dedicated SSD?

Just now, jpowell8672 said:

Since you are having so much trouble, setting up a fresh Windows 10 VM using your SSD would likely be much easier for you.

Yea, could be.  This really hasn't been THAT bad so far, though.  And it's looking like this is the last piece of it.

If I can't get this to work, I can definitely roll a new server.  No problem.

19 minutes ago, rmp5s said:

Getting this error now.  IThinking I don't have the disk ID correct.  I copied it from the main page...is there another place to see the disk ID?

Yes. SSH into your server (or open Command Line from Tools)

to navigate to the directory, type

cd /dev/disk/by-id

The, to list all your disks, type

ls

You'll see something like this;

1703148549_Screenshot2020-01-20at21_18_24.thumb.png.9ec310a8b810109d4a96a1b96a7a4934.png

Find your disk, and select the first instance of it (none of the 'part' bits). Select up to, but not including, the '@''. That's your ID. (I've highlighted one in the first column, above).

I set up many of my VMs like this with dedicated SSDs. Here's an example of one of my passthroughs, for reference;

<source dev='/dev/disk/by-id/ata-CT240BX500SSD1_1923E18670CA'/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>

Good luck

PS: check you have the type set to 'block', not 'file' when using /disk/by-id. Your latest error indicates you might have it set to file?

Edited by meep
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, meep said:

You'll see something like this;

1703148549_Screenshot2020-01-20at21_18_24.thumb.png.9ec310a8b810109d4a96a1b96a7a4934.png

Find your disk, and select the first instance of it (none of the 'part' bits). Select up to, but not including, the '@''. That's your ID. (I've highlighted one in the first column, above).

Good luck

PS: check you have the type set to 'block', not 'file' when using /disk/by-id. Your latest error indicates you might have it set to file?

Simple enough!!

Up until...any tips on telling which disk is which?  lol  I have no clue which is the SSD.  And, yup, it was set to block, not file already.

image.thumb.png.a24e77f180fdcee7e78b6f8d2139ecd4.png

Ok so you are just putting your Windows 10 VM image on the SSD not installing Windows 10 to SSD.

<disk type='file' device='disk'>

<source file='/mnt/cache/vdisk_share/vmname/vdisk1.img'/>

<backingStore/>

<target dev='hda' bus='virtio'/>

<boot order='1'/>

<alias name='virtio-disk0'/>

<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x05' function='0x0'/>

</disk>

<backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='virtio'/>

<boot order='1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x06' function='0x0'/>
    </disk>

2 minutes ago, jpowell8672 said:

<backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='virtio'/>

<boot order='1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x06' function='0x0'/>
    </disk>

Tried that already.  It gives the error above.  I believe I have the device ID wrong.  I tried looking it up using the method above but I have no idea how to tell which device is which.

1 minute ago, jpowell8672 said:

Main Tab> Unassigned Devices Identification is ID

That's what I thought.  That's what I've been using and it's giving me an error.

Then, when I do the "dev/disk/by-id/" thing, I don't see that disk ID anywhere...at all...

Very confusing...

22 minutes ago, rmp5s said:

Simple enough!!

Up until...any tips on telling which disk is which?  lol  I have no clue which is the SSD.  And, yup, it was set to block, not file already.

image.thumb.png.a24e77f180fdcee7e78b6f8d2139ecd4.png

You are close. You’re just passing in a disk Id that doesn’t exist. It needs to be one of those in the by-I’d/ directory, but which one?

have a look in tools -> system devices. At the bottom it lists scsi devices, which might have some mapping, or offer a clue.

or go to unassigned devices and click the i on to the left of each drive to expand the volume structure. Any clues there?

if I had to guess, I’d guess the 4th scsi device, at the top of the second column. The other 3 have a similar structure (part) that would suggest they match your 3x array devices. 

Edited by meep
2 minutes ago, meep said:

You are close. You’re just passing in a dusk I’d that doesn’t exist. It needs to be one of those in the by-I’d/ directory, but which one?

have a look in tools -> system devices. At the bottom it lists scsi devices, which might have some mapping, or offer a clue.

EXACTLY what I'm thinking, too.

Looking at "system devices" doesn't scream anything to me...I don't see anything in common between the "/by-id" list and the "system devices" list.  You all see anything?  

image.thumb.png.2eb1dad4753c750bd933c4695553d01c.png

image.thumb.png.8d5faa7f5b8e5ae5f3215beeab3d24e1.png

3 minutes ago, rmp5s said:

EXACTLY what I'm thinking, too.

Looking at "system devices" doesn't scream anything to me...I don't see anything in common between the "/by-id" list and the "system devices" list.  You all see anything?  

image.thumb.png.2eb1dad4753c750bd933c4695553d01c.png

image.thumb.png.8d5faa7f5b8e5ae5f3215beeab3d24e1.png

Nope. I added a few more suggestions to my previous post. 

You could also also search the unraid boot log file for some of those strings. Might offer further clues.

• rmp5s changed the title to [SOLVED] VM running off of single, dedicated disk...