Kjetil

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Kjetil said:

Should I/we do something with the cache ReiserFS ? You also mentioned some changes to my user shares configuration ?

Also, my first problem was that I lost Plex. Should I ask about this issue on the Plex forum, or is it something you fellas would have any suggestions

about ?

Don't worry about any of that until you get your hardware working. In fact, disable docker service so Plex doesn't even try to run and see if your server will stay up for a while.

1 minute ago, Kjetil said:

Also, I would be happy to hear more about cache ReiserFS and user share configurations, as suggester earlier.

I see you have enabled docker again.

To get all of these things as they should be, you are going to have to leave docker and VMs disabled for a while.

And your user share settings are mostly a mess. Is there some specific reason you have set many of them to have a long list of disks included? Include means ONLY. Exclude means EXCEPT. You should use either Include to include a small number of disks if that is in fact what you want to do, or you should use Exclude to exclude a small number of disks if that is in fact what you want to do. Probably you don't want anything entered for Include or Exclude.

Ultimately, you want appdata, domains, and system shares to be all on cache, but it will take some doing to make that happen. You don't want them on array because that is where your dockers and VMs are. You don't want them affected by slower parity and you don't want them keeping array disks spinning.

There are going to be quite a few steps in this process. I won't give them to you all at once. Instead, I prefer to take them a little at a time, explain what they are intended to do, and check new diagnostics as we go to see if things are progressing as intended.

I will have to be away from time to time while we go through all of this so be patient.

Thank you so much for your continued help!

Just started docker just now before the diagnostics to see if there was any changes to Plex (and there was not).

Docker disabled again now. VMs - is that something I need to disable (VM Manager?) ?

User shares are set up so that all shares include all discs. That was what I got recommended to do from my friend who set this up.

Maybe he is just a pretend expert. It made sense to me as I dont know how much data will be in each share (as some share has

tv shows, movies etc - its not easy to know how much data will be added there - and how many discs will be needed for each share.

It should say Include : ALL and Exclude: None. 

Is that not good for some reason ?

I look forward to cleaning up whats neccessary to retain stability and speed. Looking forward to the next step.

2 hours ago, Kjetil said:

User shares are set up so that all shares include all discs. That was what I got recommended to do from my friend who set this up.

Maybe he is just a pretend expert. It made sense to me as I dont know how much data will be in each share (as some share has

tv shows, movies etc - its not easy to know how much data will be added there - and how many discs will be needed for each share.

Is that not good for some reason ?

Its how I've got mine setup.  All "normal" shares are able to use any array disk they choose and are set to either use cache Yes or No, depending upon my preference and the appdata / domains / system share set to use cache: prefer.

3 hours ago, Kjetil said:

If your shares did say that then their cfg files would not have a long list of disks in included. Include All and Exclude None shows up in cfg as blank entries for both.

For example, you have a share anonymized as B----R and another share anonymized as E----------R. Post a screenshot of each of their settings.

When you actually have a list of included disks, that is not really the same as ALL, since you could add a disk to your array and it would not be in the list.

Also, it is simpler for Unraid to decide which disk if it is ALL instead of having to go down a list to decide.

Ok, I sort of understand. I see that some shares say just "ALL" and for some shares all disks are listed one by one. I am not sure why. How can I change this ? Make new shares, copy the info and delete the old share ? Or is there a better way ? 

I can see that in my list of shares, the appdata, system and the share holding my tv shows dont have a green dot, they have a orange triangle with "!" inside it. What does this mean ? Error message ? Or something that needs attention ?

I set "Use cache for new files / directories" to "prefer" for appdata (application data) and system (system data). I dont find "domain" in the list. Besides the shares I use for movies, concerts, documentaries etc the only other I have are "appdata", "system" and "iso". I dont have "domain" and "system share" in the list - where do I find these ?

If you set cache to "ON" for a share, does this mean that files are written to the cache disc first, then you have to use mover function to get the files to the array ? I think that is why it was disabled, cache disc reiserFS is only 250gb and it filled up quickly and writing to it was slow. And I had to use the mover function. Maybe this was set up wrongly from the beginning ?

Edited by Kjetil
18 minutes ago, Kjetil said:

Ok, I sort of understand. I see that some shares say just "ALL" and for some shares all disks are listed one by one. I am not sure why. How can I change this ? Make new shares, copy the info and delete the old share ? Or is there a better way ? 

You can simply remove all the listed drives from both the include and exclude fields on an existing share and it will then default to ALL

I can see that in my list of shares, the appdata, system and the share holding my tv shows dont have a green dot, they have a orange triangle with "!" inside it. What does this mean ? Error message ? Or something that needs attention ?

This means that the files (or at least some of them) in the share are unprotected.   This is normal if you only have one drive in the cache.  With multiple drives in the cache with the cache set to support redundancy then they would always be protected.

If you set cache to "ON" for a share, does this mean that files are written to the cache disc first, then you have to use mover function to get the files to the array ? I think that is why it was disabled, cache disc reiserFS is only 250gb and it filled up quickly and writing to it was slow. And I had to use the mover function. Maybe this was set up wrongly from the beginning ?

There is no ON setting :)  Perhaps you mean Use Cache = Yes which first writes files to the cache and later moves them to the (protected) array?   Whether a 250 GB cache is large enough to support this mode of working depends entirely on your usage pattern and how much you are likely to put on the cache between automatic mover invocations.   Many users now only use the cache as an 'application' drive for use by docker containers and VMs.

With a single drive in the cache XFS is normally the recommended setting, although if you later intend to extend the cache to a multi-drive pool BTRFS might be more convenient.   Neither XFS or BTRFS suffer from slowdowns writing new files as the drive gets full.  ReiserFS is now deprecated (although still supported).

Just to clue everyone else in on where I intend to go with this.

His appdata is literally scattered across all disks. And his cache is reiserFS. My plan is to get everything moved off cache so it can be reformatted, then move system and appdata to cache.

@Kjetil

2 hours ago, Kjetil said:

I dont find "domain" in the list.

This is actually a good thing. That share would be created if you ever enabled VMs. If you don't intend to have VMs that is fine, and you shouldn't try that for now anyway.

Turn on Help in the webUI so you can get some more information about what things do in the webUI. Help (?) is a toggle in the upper right on the main bar.

2 hours ago, itimpi said:

You can simply remove all the listed drives from both the include and exclude fields on an existing share and it will then default to ALL

Go ahead and do this for all shares.

Some of the anonymization is making it a little hard to interpret a few of your user shares.

Go to Shares - User Shares and post a screenshot.

1 hour ago, Kjetil said:

Also I got a message that I did not really understand - is it about using cache?

What message? If you are talking about that text in the blue background on your first screenshot, that is just the Help text for the Copy-on-write setting. Don't worry about that.

You can follow along with this next part by looking at your diagnostics yourself. They are just text files, and the share settings are .cfg files in the shares folder. Many of the files in the diagnostics are the actual configuration files where your webUI settings are stored.

The reason I wanted to see your actual share names is because some of them happen to begin and end in the same letter and they have the same number of letters. The diagnostics anonymizes your share names by replacing all but the first and last letter with -. Since this can make some of them have the same anonymized name, one of them gets (1) appended to the end in the diagnostics. So I wanted to be able to talk about them using their real names.

Your shares that begin with M and end with R are like that, and their settings look OK for now.

You have 2 shares appearing in your diagnostics that begin with T and end with R, and I am not referring to the one that actually has the number 2 at the end.

One of these shares doesn't really exist on the array (and so is not in your screenshot), but it has settings for it. The other does exist on the array, and has no settings, so it gets the default settings.

Post a screenshot of the Settings for the user share named TV SERIER.

When I was doing the Include/Exclude adjustments to the shares, I also renamed one that has had a wrong name for a long time. Thinking of it now, I should have waited because it is confusing (different name in diagnostics vs in user shares). I have added a new diagnostic now with the updated share names. Also I add a photo of the share TV SERIER - as requested. How do we continue ?

Screenshot 2019-12-14 at 19.10.34.png

federalreserve-diagnostics-20191214-1910.zip

33 minutes ago, Kjetil said:

Where do I find the command line ? Sorry for being such a rookie about Unraid...

On the menu bar the button that looks like this: >_

I'm just trying to see which files are in config/shares on the flash drive.

Here is another way to get what I'm after.

Go to Main - Boot Device and click on the folder icon at the far right of the line for Flash. Then click on config. Then click on shares. Then post a screenshot.