Unraid problems

Kjetil

You didn't drill down far enough in your second screenshot, you missed one click, the

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Then click on shares.

Doesn't matter though, the other screenshot tells me what I wanted to know.

The cfg file is actually for a share named Tv Serier (which does not exist). The share you have is actually named TV SERIER, and it doesn't have a cfg file. Linux is case sensitive, so these are not the same thing.

Try this from the command line:

cd /boot/config/shares
ren Tv\ Serier.cfg TV\ SERIER.cfg
ls -lah

and post a screenshot of those results.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I googled the error message/problem and it appears to be an issue with how the mounting is handled.  You are going to have to shut the server down, pull the flash drive, plug it into a PC and change the name there.  Watch the Capitalization when you do this!!!   (At the OS kernel  level, Linux recognizes 'case' and Windows does not!!!  So the names of 1.Txt and 1.txt are two different files to Linux and one file to Windows!)  You have to end up with that file being named  TV SERIER.cfg

Edited by Frank1940

Hi Frank. Shut down server, pull the 250gb SSD flash drive and connect to a pc - so far so good. Can I use a MAC for this or does it have to be a Windows machine ? Is it the file Tv Serier.cfg that needs to be renamed to TV SERIER.cfg ? Just find this file in OSX Finder and rename it ? Its my most important share, and I am super scared of doing something wrong, so that I loose this share... Is there anything that can go wrong ? Should I backup the Flash drive first ?

36 minutes ago, Kjetil said:

Should I backup the Flash drive first ?

Make the backup.  Doing that will guarantee that you never will need it!   😁  (One of Mr. Murphy's Laws)

Is it the file Tv Serier.cfg that needs to be renamed to TV SERIER.cfg

Yes

Can I use a MAC for this or does it have to be a Windows machine ?

I don't have a MAC but I assume it should work.  (With my limited knowledge of the orgin of the MAC OS, I suspect that it behaves much the same as Linux does.)  We are not doing brain surgery.  We are renaming that file.  If a mistake is made with a rename operation, One simply renames it again. 

The difference between how the Linux and Windows handles file names is at the OS level.  Windows masks (or ignores) the high order sixth bit in the byte for each character.  Thus at the Windows OS level, the file name you see as Media.iso, Windows will see as MEDIA.ISO.  Back in the DOS days (and Windows 3.1), you would type media.iso and it was actually stored as MEDIA.ISO.  The permitted file format was 8.3  ---  Eight characters for the file name and 3 characters for the extension.  When 'Long file names' were introduced, the whole thing was handled by smoke and mirrors as the actual/true file name was still (and being stored that way) in the 8.3 format.

Edited by Frank1940
Memory failing me these days...

Sorry I have been away. Yes I made a mistake trying to get that file renamed.

44 minutes ago, Kjetil said:

The share TV SERIER still show a warning triangle with a ! inside (after rebooting again)

Forget about the warning triangle on your shares for now. It just means some of their files have no redundancy because they are on cache instead of the parity array. When we get done you will still have some of those unless you install an additional cache drive.

Lets do this command again to see where we are:

ls -lah /boot/config/shares

Just now, Kjetil said:

I don't understand about the cache. It says its 207GB of free space. So why would I need more cache drive (s) ?

It is not about space, it is about redundancy. You can setup a mirrored cache pool. Then you wouldn't get those warning yellow triangles. Whether or not it is important to you we can decide later.