Switching Sata ports possible?

rl2664

Hello everyone,

Sorry for that maybe stupid question. Is it possible to switch Sata ports without any problems?

Background is that my MB only has 4 Sata ports and I ordered a IBM M1015 HBA card. Then I want to add a second cache drive and move an existing drive to the HBA.

Greetings

Ronny

Gesendet von meinem EML-L29 mit Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

but I'm 99% sure that as long as the M1015 is flashed to IT mode there will be no issues switching drives between motherboard and HBA ports.

Unraid tracks disks by their serial numbers.  So if the HBA reports the manufacturer's serial number there will be no problem.  However, some cards whose firmware is actually runs in RAID mode will modify that serial number and in those cases, they often modify the serial number.  In those cases, Unraid can't track the disk between the RAID card ports and the MB SATA ports because the reported serial numbers are different.

If the card have been flashed with the LSI IT mode software/firmware, the serial number will be the same with both and Unraid will be able to properly assign it using either set of ports. 

Ok, that's easy. I thought I have to figure it out somewhere in the bios of the card.
I think the card is fine. The seller is from Germany too, and he has only positive ratings on ebay.
I saw also offers from China for about 26-30 Eur, and thats a bit to cheap for my opinion.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.de%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163093721417

Thats the card I ordered.

I want to report back, everything works as expected. Hba card works fine and the FW is the latest. Switching sata ports was also no problem.

Screwing into the heatspreader is surely not the best way to mount a fan, but it works and keeps the card cool.

So, thanks a lot for all advices. f02144c0a8239221b9c0c2ad5e82c7e6.jpg&key=f160eb1d7dc3ba8e879600ddbb23c0d88a5feddfdd0453fe09305829891b8d25