[Solved] Share cache is identically named to a disk share

Inenting

Hello guys,

I recently installed the Fix Common Problems Plugin and it helped me fix a lot of errors I didn't even know I had.

However there is one Error I need a bit of assistance with:

Share cache is identically named to a disk share

While there *may be* (doubtful) valid use cases for having a share named identically to a disk share, this is only going to cause some confusion as if disk shares are enabled, then you will have duplicated share names, and possibly if disk shares are not enabled, then you might not be able to gain access to the share. This is usually caused by moving the contents of one disk to another (XFS Conversion?) and an improperly placed slash. The solution is to move the contents of the user share named cache to be placed within a validly named share. Ask for assistance on the forums for guidance on doing this.

I checked my docker apps and it turned out that my plex docker had /mnt/user/cache mounted for transcoding, I removed this now from the docker. How do I go about fixing this now?

Edited by Inenting
2 minutes ago, Inenting said:

Oh, some of my shares have "prefer" on cache disk (appdata) do I have to change that?

Or do I have to delete "/mnt/cache" instead of what is in it?

No and definitely no

The entire complaint from FCP was that you had a share called "cache"  That can under certain circumstances mess things up (or at the very least it messes you up ;) )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, Squid said:

No and definitely no

The entire complaint from FCP was that you had a share called "cache"  That can under certain circumstances mess things up (or at the very least it messes you up ;) )

Ah I see, so should I just click on ignore error since the issue has been resolved? (rescanning doesn't make it go away)

I just fixed a problem identical to this.  I did not see a cache share either.  In my /mnt/user/cache I found only files that appear to belong to Emby.  I also had a folder /mnt/cache/cache which contained the same exact files.  I checked my Emby config and found a setting for Cache Path set to /mnt/cache.  I stopped Emby and moved the cache folder from /mnt/user/cache into a different share that I created (/mnt/user/emCache).  So I ended up with /mnt/user/emCache/cache.  When I moved the cache folder from under /mnt/user the /mnt/cache/cache was no longer there.  I then restarted Emby and changed the Cache Path setting to /mnt/user/emCache.  Emby seems to be happy with the change.  I then re-scanned with Fix Common Problems and no longer had the error.

I am not positive that this is the best way to fix this problem, but it seems to have worked for me.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, gmythx said:

I did not see a cache share either.  In my /mnt/user/cache I found only files that appear to belong to Emby.  I also had a folder /mnt/cache/cache which contained the same exact files. 

The exact same problem.  And you ultimately solved it by what we're trying to get @Inenting to do.  Fix the problem on the template, and then delete the share

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Inenting said:

The folder /mnt/cache exists but is empty (i used ls)

I think you keep misquoting  /mnt/cache is the cache drive

FCP was complaining that you have /mnt/user/cache which is a share (whether or not unRaid filters it out from the shares list), and may or may not be stored on the cache drive

ls /mnt/user/cache

will show you whats in it

rm -rf /mnt/user/cache

will delete it.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 years later...

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I am have the problem of having a share called "disk2" /mnt/user. In that /mnt/user/disk2 directory is the folder Vids, where I put all my video media. I also have a share in /mnt/user called Vids with the same content. Basically looks like this:

/mnt/user/disk2/Vids

/mnt/user/Vids

Am I ok to delete the /mnt/user/disk2/ or will that delete the Vids directory and all the content contained in it?

studio-diagnostics-20220127-1328.zip

42 minutes ago, ProAm500 said:

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I am have the problem of having a share called "disk2" /mnt/user. In that /mnt/user/disk2 directory is the folder Vids, where I put all my video media. I also have a share in /mnt/user called Vids with the same content. Basically looks like this:

/mnt/user/disk2/Vids

/mnt/user/Vids

Am I ok to delete the /mnt/user/disk2/ or will that delete the Vids directory and all the content contained in it?

studio-diagnostics-20220127-1328.zip 134.15 kB · 0 downloads

Do you know how you got into this situation?    It looks like a copy or move was done manually at some point that went wrong?

8 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Do you know how you got into this situation?    It looks like a copy or move was done manually at some point that went wrong?

I honestly, I have no idea, but my best guess was during some data transfer or copy at some point. I have moved, replaced, and upgraded disks at a couple different points in the 4ish years that I have had this server online. 

I guess I can try to do a compare of those two directories to see what's exactly in them. 

Edited by ProAm500
  • 3 months later...

Hello everyone.

I ran into the same issue, for a user share named 'data'. I created the user share 'data' while following the tutorial found here.

Solved it by renaming the user share to a different name string, and updating the relevant docker paths.

Maybe it would be good to add in some sort of field check and warn users against using specific share names that could cause issues.