Best way to configure a share for BluRay rips

I have (4) 2tb data disks. What is the best way to configure a share for all my BluRay and DVD rips. I'm not sure if I should use a split level or not?

Believe me, I've been searching and reading but not quite understanding the best way. Some say use 0, some say not. The box is completely empty by default. If there is no stuttering or drop outs when spanned accross multiple disks than I guess it doesn't matter? This is quite new to me so sorry if these questions sound dumb.

Thanks,

Tom

I have two 2 TB disk dedicated to movies only.  Some are single file .mkv BD rips, some are multiple .VOB file DVD rips.  I wanted to insure that all files within a movie title remain on the same disk so in this case the spit level is 2 in this following example with the level numbers listed on the left:

0  disk1

1  |--Movies (share)

2    |--Movie Title 1

|--.VOB1

|--.VOB2

|--Movie Title 2

|--.MKV

0  disk1

1  |--Movies (share)

2    |--Movie Title 1

|--.VOB1

|--.VOB2

|--Movie Title 2

|--.MKV

I changed this slightly from my original scheme found in this post

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=1928.0

I have two 2 TB disk dedicated to movies only.  Some are single file .mkv BD rips, some are multiple .VOB file DVD rips.   I wanted to insure that all files within a movie title remain on the same disk so in this case the spit level is 2 in this following example with the level numbers listed on the left:

0  disk1

1  |--Movies (share)

2     |--Movie Title 1

|--.VOB1

|--.VOB2

|--Movie Title 2

|--.MKV

0  disk1

1  |--Movies (share)

2     |--Movie Title 1

|--.VOB1

|--.VOB2

|--Movie Title 2

|--.MKV

Thanks for the reply. I still don't quite understand about the levels you show 0,1,2. I thought using level 2 would put the data on 2 disks? I guess it just hasn't clicked with me yet. I'm searching and reading....

I have two 2 TB disk dedicated to movies only.  Some are single file .mkv BD rips, some are multiple .VOB file DVD rips.  I wanted to insure that all files within a movie title remain on the same disk so in this case the spit level is 2 in this following example with the level numbers listed on the left:

0  disk1

1  |--Movies (share)

2    |--Movie Title 1

|--.VOB1

|--.VOB2

|--Movie Title 2

|--.MKV

0  disk2

1  |--Movies (share)

2    |--Movie Title 3

|--.VOB1

|--.VOB2

|--Movie Title 4

|--.MKV

Thanks for the reply. I still don't quite understand about the levels you show 0,1,2. I thought using level 2 would put the data on 2 disks? I guess it just hasn't clicked with me yet. I'm searching and reading....

The split level is for determining at what level in the directory or folder structure within a user share you begin to ignore the allocation method.  Level 2 means that the contents of any folder at the second level within a user share are forced onto the same disk regardless of what the allocation method would require.  So from Rob's example (with my RED edits) if you had a Movies user share that has two disks assigned to it then the disk allocation method will determine on which disk the Movie Title folders are placed when copying to the user share.  Because you have set the split level to 2 once the Movie title folder (which resides on the second level is placed on a disk then all the contents of the folder will be forced onto that same disk.  The important thing is that you want all the files necessary to playback an individual movie on the same disk otherwise you'll encounter a pause during playback if a disk has to spin up in the middle of the movie.  Your directory structure may be different so you might need to use a different split level.  Hopefully this helps you better understand the concept of split level.  If you still have questions just post your folder structure and split level assignments and let the community take a look.

I have two 2 TB disk dedicated to movies only.  Some are single file .mkv BD rips, some are multiple .VOB file DVD rips.   I wanted to insure that all files within a movie title remain on the same disk so in this case the spit level is 2 in this following example with the level numbers listed on the left:

0  disk1

1  |--Movies (share)

2     |--Movie Title 1

|--.VOB1

|--.VOB2

|--Movie Title 2

|--.MKV

0  disk2

1  |--Movies (share)

2     |--Movie Title 3

|--.VOB1

|--.VOB2

|--Movie Title 4

|--.MKV

The split level is for determining at what level in the directory or folder structure within a user share you begin to ignore the allocation method.  Level 2 means that the contents of any folder at the second level within a user share are forced onto the same disk regardless of what the allocation method would require.  So from Rob's example (with my RED edits) if you had a Movies user share that has two disks assigned to it then the disk allocation method will determine on which disk the Movie Title folders are placed when copying to the user share.  Because you have set the split level to 2 once the Movie title folder (which resides on the second level is placed on a disk then all the contents of the folder will be forced onto that same disk.  The important thing is that you want all the files necessary to playback an individual movie on the same disk otherwise you'll encounter a pause during playback if a disk has to spin up in the middle of the movie.  Your directory structure may be different so you might need to use a different split level.  Hopefully this helps you better understand the concept of split level.  If you still have questions just post your folder structure and split level assignments and let the community take a look.

Ok, Thanks! I'm a bit away from creating my movie structure as I have not bought my media player yet, and that might determine if I rip to BD structure, ISO, etc... Once I decide and start ripping I'll repost. Thanks for explaining to me how it works. In the mean time I will study this over.

I just read this over 5 times and I think I'm finally beginning to understand! Sorry it's taking me so long.

Tom

So I guees mine would be split level 3?

0  disk1

1  |--Videos (share)

2  |--Movies (folder)

|--Music Videos (folder)

|--TV Series (folder)

3    |--Movie Title 1

|--.VOB1

|--.VOB2

|--Movie Title 2

|--.MKV

Movies titles are all naturally within the Movies folder within the Videos share.

Kryspy

The only potential issue I see is with the TV series folder. This will keep the entire series on a single disk when you only need the files from a single episode to reside on a single disk. A long running series in HD may fill a single disk and splitting the episodes could be required. See this post for an alternative (and IMO simpler) method of choosing split level: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3509.msg30684#msg30684

I am thoroughly confused.

I have two data disks.

\\Tower\disk1

\\Tower\disk2

I have one user share:

\\Tower\Movies

So therefore I also have:

\\Tower\disk1\Movies

\\Tower\disk2\Movies

Within \\Tower\Movies I have individual directories for individual movies.  E.g:

\\Tower\disk1\Movies\Movie #1 Directory

\\Tower\disk2\Movies\Movie #2 Directory

I set a split level 1, and copied a bunch of files to:

\\Tower\Movies

And I have no situation, that I'm aware of where I have:

\\Tower\disk1\Movies\Movie #1 Directory\BDMV

\\Tower\disk2\Movies\Movie #1 Directory\Certificate

I believe when I started copying files over, I just moved like 10 or so, and with "most free" allocation method, it split the directories across the two disks.

I read the above posts and it suggests I should be using a split of 2 though?

The number is the lowest directory you want to split, not the first one you do not want splitting. If you number your directory structure and the directory for a single movie is "3" then you want to use level 2. Using level 3 means that movie directory can split.

Kryspy - 2

Jack - 1

Kryspy may have a TV series that causes a disk to fill but there's not much he can do about it unless he wants to create a different setup. There were some posts about creating different shares and then making an "all in one" share that was linked to all the others that he may want to search for. I believe he could also just manually create a new directory for that TV series on another disk and it would then begin filling there.

Peter