Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

Hi at all,

I cannot mount my external drives anymore. does anyone know why: "

May 15 05:17:29 RyzenNAS kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Very big device. Trying to use READ CAPACITY(16).
May 15 05:17:29 RyzenNAS kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] 15628052480 512-byte logical blocks: (8.00 TB/7.28 TiB)
May 15 05:17:29 RyzenNAS kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] 4096-byte physical blocks
May 15 05:17:29 RyzenNAS kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
May 15 05:17:29 RyzenNAS kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 47 00 10 08
May 15 05:17:29 RyzenNAS kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page found
May 15 05:17:29 RyzenNAS kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
May 15 05:17:29 RyzenNAS kernel: sda: sda1
May 15 05:17:29 RyzenNAS kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
May 15 05:17:53 RyzenNAS emhttpd: WD_My_Book_25EE_37484A5858385346-0:0 (sda) 512 15628052480
May 15 05:17:53 RyzenNAS emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sda
May 15 05:18:12 RyzenNAS unassigned.devices: Mounting partition 'sda1' at mountpoint '/mnt/disks/Book'...
May 15 05:18:12 RyzenNAS unassigned.devices: Mount cmd: /sbin/mount -t 'exfat' -o rw,relatime,nodev,nosuid,umask=000 '/dev/sda1' '/mnt/disks/Book'
May 15 05:18:13 RyzenNAS unassigned.devices: Mount of 'sda1' failed: 'mount: /mnt/disks/Book: unknown filesystem type 'exfat'.        dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call.'
May 15 05:18:21 RyzenNAS unassigned.devices: Mounting partition 'sda1' at mountpoint '/mnt/disks/Book'...
May 15 05:18:21 RyzenNAS unassigned.devices: Mount cmd: /sbin/mount -t 'exfat' -o rw,relatime,nodev,nosuid,umask=000 '/dev/sda1' '/mnt/disks/Book'
May 15 05:18:22 RyzenNAS unassigned.devices: Mount of 'sda1' failed: 'mount: /mnt/disks/Book: unknown filesystem type 'exfat'.        dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call.'
May 15 05:18:27 RyzenNAS unassigned.devices: Mounting partition 'sda1' at mountpoint '/mnt/disks/Book'...
May 15 05:18:27 RyzenNAS unassigned.devices: Mount cmd: /sbin/mount -t 'exfat' -o rw,relatime,nodev,nosuid,umask=000 '/dev/sda1' '/mnt/disks/Book'
May 15 05:18:27 RyzenNAS unassigned.devices: Mount of 'sda1' failed: 'mount: /mnt/disks/Book: unknown filesystem type 'exfat'.        dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call.'

Hey thanks for the plugin!

I'm a new user and haven't spun up Unraid fully yet, however I just bought a new disk that I wanted to preclear/test before starting my first array.

I used this plugin and it all went smooth, took a few days (18TB disk) but upon completion the whole Unraid-machine rebooted and I don't understand why. It rebooted around the time the preclear was expected to complete but I was not around to see it real-time. Unfortunately the Unraid logs are reset (which I read is normal behavior) and there are no /flash/preclear reports/ folder, so I am not fully sure that the preclear went through alright.

Anything I can do at this point? Any clue why the reboot happened? I don't want to have to rerun the preclear to put unnecessary stress on the disk. The UD Preclear GUI says " - Precleared" on the disk, but the logs are cleared.

storage01-diagnostics-20240518-2143.zip

2 hours ago, knewtsson said:

I'm a new user and haven't spun up Unraid fully yet, however I just bought a new disk that I wanted to preclear/test before starting my first array.

I used this plugin and it all went smooth, took a few days (18TB disk) but upon completion the whole Unraid-machine rebooted and I don't understand why. It rebooted around the time the preclear was expected to complete but I was not around to see it real-time. Unfortunately the Unraid logs are reset (which I read is normal behavior) and there are no /flash/preclear reports/ folder, so I am not fully sure that the preclear went through alright.

Anything I can do at this point? Any clue why the reboot happened? I don't want to have to rerun the preclear to put unnecessary stress on the disk. The UD Preclear GUI says " - Precleared" on the disk, but the logs are cleared.

storage01-diagnostics-20240518-2143.zip 67.95 kB · 0 downloads

If the disk is showling as "Precleared" you are good to go.  Your server shutdown after the preclear finished.

Posted (edited)

I have a Question in my main tab that shows my drives it shows that i have unassigned devices i have 1 120 ssd sitting there as dev 1 well it might be a year or more now unassigned devices said it needed an update i updated it but now it says its not in my settings tab and when i look in plugins its not there and and when i go to apps to reinstall it will not let me but in main it says unassigned device.

Ok ignore this post as for some reason i deleted a docker program diskspeed and now unassigned devices now installs ???? dont ask me

Edited by ljonesj
1 minute ago, ljonesj said:

I have a Question in my main tab that shows my drives it shows that i have unassigned devices i have 1 120 ssd sitting there as dev 1 well it might be a year or more now unassigned devices said it needed an update i updated it but now it says its not in my settings tab and when i look in plugins its not there and and when i go to apps to reinstall it will not let me but in main it says unassigned device 

What version of Unraid are you running?

8 minutes ago, ljonesj said:

the latest one i try to keep it updated and it might have been some wierd conflict or something but thats a first for me

UD will not install on Unraid older that 6.11.  The "Unassigned Devices" you are seeing on the tab is the stock Unassigned Devices and not the plugin.

im on 6.12.10 and somehow it would not install with diskspeed docker but it could have been it was doing something else and would not let it install or as they say holding your mouth right lol at least i got it working and thanks for taking a chat with me to help me to get working 

9 minutes ago, foo_fighter said:

Am I mis-remembering or did there used to be 2 icons(Next to the X I think) to pop out the current pre-clear stage and status?

Did they get relocated?

image.thumb.png.0b99eab4a2c9ed140724dcf0270ca2b9.png

They are still there:

Screenshot 2024-05-19 103431.png

I don't know why they are missing for you.  Do you have the latest versions of UD and UD Preclear?

Posted (edited)

How do we get to force UD to recheck for a server being online? It seems not to be doing it regularly on its own, nor can I see an obvious way to have it do it, including reloading UD config.

I have 2 shares set to automount, yes the server was offline when unraid was started, it now is online but UD isn't refreshing the status so the mount buttons are disabled.

I should be able to get them to mount without a complete unraid restart or remove/readd of the shares and their configs...

Edited by Kilrah
38 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

How do we get to force UD to recheck for a server being online? It seems not to be doing it regularly on its own, nor can I see an obvious way to have it do it, including reloading UD config.

I have 2 shares set to automount, yes the server was offline when unraid was started, it now is online but UD isn't refreshing the status so the mount buttons are disabled.

I should be able to get them to mount without a complete unraid restart or remove/readd of the shares and their configs...

UD is checking the online status in the background.  While on the UD page, click the double arrow icon and the online status will be cleared and UD will check and refresh the page remote share status within 15 seconds.

If that doesn't work for you, post the UD_diagnostics and I'll look into it.

It still didn't get found after an unraid reboot, it was that the recent change caused it to not find my server without the .local being appended, had to remove/readd.

These breaking changes that only reveal themselves after a couple of weeks when you reboot are annoying... it's nice to add new methods to improve things in some situations but IMO they shouldn't fully replace what already works and break existing stuff.

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2024 at 9:43 PM, knewtsson said:

storage01-diagnostics-20240518-2143.zip 67.95 kB · 1 download

So I just recleared my second disk and the exact same behavior occurred. Isnt that odd? This time I had enabled syslog saving to flash, however I cannot find any log message that explains the reason it rebooted.

As soon as the preclear was complete the Unraid system is rebooted for unknown reason. Fortunately the disk preclear seems 100% complete since the status is "Precleared". The preclear logs are empty though.

syslog syslog-previous

Edited by knewtsson

Hey guys, Ive recently updated both my servers to 6.12.10 after being on firmware 6.9.2 for the last couple years.
After the update applied to both servers ive been noticing that my SMB Share/NFS share that links one server to the other keeps disconnecting and failing to re connect. Ive tried changing some settings around in the UD SMB/NFS Settings however nothing has helped. I have a third windows server that connects via smb that is still connecting fine with no issues at all.

I have attached my diagnostics below, Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

tower-diagnostics-20240526-2105.zip

45 minutes ago, Anfroney said:

Hey guys, Ive recently updated both my servers to 6.12.10 after being on firmware 6.9.2 for the last couple years.
After the update applied to both servers ive been noticing that my SMB Share/NFS share that links one server to the other keeps disconnecting and failing to re connect. Ive tried changing some settings around in the UD SMB/NFS Settings however nothing has helped. I have a third windows server that connects via smb that is still connecting fine with no issues at all.

I have attached my diagnostics below, Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

tower-diagnostics-20240526-2105.zip 183.77 kB · 1 download

Facing this issue as well, though I was having issues on 6.12.08 and upgrading to 6.12.10 didn't help. 

I was connecting 2 unraid servers using wireguard and mounting it using NFS. 

1 hour ago, Anfroney said:

You are having a network/server issue:

May 25 20:09:33 Tower unassigned.devices: Warning: shell_exec(/bin/df '/mnt/remotes/TOWER2_UnRaid' --output=size,used,avail | /bin/grep -v '1K-blocks' 2>/dev/null) took longer than 10s!

You have Jumbo frames set on one NIC:

May 25 19:51:06 Tower root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Jumbo Frames detected on eth0

In order to use Jumbo frames, you need to set it up for all your network.  Having it only on one NIC is problematic.  Set the MTU back to the default on eth0.