Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

Hi,

I have a couple of drives I am trying to use within this plugin.

One of them a Hitachi drive shows up within the unassigned plugin area and I am was able to mount it and share it.

I have another drive (a raid 10 volume from a sas2008) that does not appear with this area for me to mount it. It is visible within linux and I am able to mount it from the command line.

this is the listing in the /dev/disk/by-id - scsi-Logical_Volume_4009784800134137604-part1

Any thoughts why its not appearing?

Thanks for any help.

On the remote server sharing (exporting) the NFS volume:

root@nas1:~# cat /etc/exports
# See exports(5) for a description.
# This file contains a list of all directories exported to other computers.
# It is used by rpc.nfsd and rpc.mountd.

"/mnt/user/Movies" -async,no_subtree_check,fsid=101 *(sec=sys,rw,insecure,anongid=100,anonuid=99,all_squash)

And on the server that needs to mount the remote NFS volume, we'd use something like:

root@Tower:~# mount -t nfs nas1:/mnt/user/Movies /mnt/disks/nas1_Movies/

Then verify:

root@Tower:~# mount | grep nas1
nas1:/mnt/user/Movies on /mnt/disks/nas1_Movies type nfs (rw,addr=192.168.0.138)

Thank you. That's what I needed.

Hi,

One of them a Hitachi drive shows up within the unassigned plugin area and I am was able to mount it and share it.

I have another drive (a raid 10 volume from a sas2008) that does not appear with this area for me to mount it. It is visible within linux and I am able to mount it from the command line.

this is the listing in the /dev/disk/by-id - scsi-Logical_Volume_4009784800134137604-part1

Thanks for any help.

What device is it?  UD recognizes /dev/hd* and /dev/sd*.

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the response.

It is of type sd (/dev/sdh and /dev/sdh1 is the partition). I am able to mount it and use it but this plugin does not see it.

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the response.

It is of type sd (/dev/sdh and /dev/sdh1 is the partition). I am able to mount it and use it but this plugin does not see it.

What format is the partition?

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the response.

I created a BTRFS partition. But it didnt show up even before I had a partition.

Thanks

Hopefully someone can help me out with this task.

Got the Unassigned devices plug in set up and working and enabled destructive mode to format the device. My problem is, I don't want the name it provides. I saw I just need to mount the drive and it auto stuffs it into the disks area but I don't know Linux.

How can I set the device name to 'Docker' since that is going to be it's role and make it easier and cleaner if I need to share it out. As opposed to see the 'drivename_serial' that is there now.

Thank you!

Also, when I format the drive as xfs, it says 'Format failed' but the drive still mounts and was even able to set up docker.img on it.

Got the Unassigned devices plug in set up and working and enabled destructive mode to format the device. My problem is, I don't want the name it provides. I saw I just need to mount the drive and it auto stuffs it into the disks area but I don't know Linux.

How can I set the device name to 'Docker' since that is going to be it's role and make it easier and cleaner if I need to share it out. As opposed to see the 'drivename_serial' that is there now.

Thank you!

Also, when I format the drive as xfs, it says 'Format failed' but the drive still mounts and was even able to set up docker.img on it.

Where do you see the format error?  I can't reproduce it.

You can't change the device_serial number.  To change the name, click on the serial number, then on the mount point and change the name, then press 'Enter'.

Thank you!

You can't change the device_serial number.  To change the name, click on the serial number, then on the mount point and change the name, then press 'Enter'.

I knew it was something simple and easy! Thank you again for that.

I have attached two screenshots of me formatting the drive. First shows the format failed and then the second is of the drive mounted.

As I said, looks like everything works, I can create a docker.img on the drive, make folders, even set up a docker template and had it running. So just an oddity.

FormatFailed.jpg.4ff126055896c0bc3346b1aa1a377c24.jpg

DriveMounted.jpg.ea24ec29e35974036b5ad044b1a6bade.jpg

Is it possible to run a smart extended self-test on an unassigned device using the gui, or do I need to drop to the command line?

The device id has a tooltip that says "Run Smart report on sdk" but it looks like it displays disk attributes rather than run a smart report.

Thank you!

I have attached two screenshots of me formatting the drive. First shows the format failed and then the second is of the drive mounted.

As I said, looks like everything works, I can create a docker.img on the drive, make folders, even set up a docker template and had it running. So just an oddity.

Can you post the UD log so I can see the format log entries?

Thank you!

The log under UD, just right of the share On/Off option is blank. So is the partition one as well.

UDLog.jpg.4c5a51fbe327c86928eb3c46d63ef565.jpg

Thank you!

The log under UD, just right of the share On/Off option is blank. So is the partition one as well.

Click on the 'Help' button and you'll see a 'Download Log' button at the bottom.  Click on that buttom to download the UD log.

Thank you!

Click on the 'Help' button and you'll see a 'Download Log' button at the bottom.  Click on that buttom to download the UD log.

Thanks for that and sent.

Is it possible to run a smart extended self-test on an unassigned device using the gui, or do I need to drop to the command line?

Go to the dashboard and click on the hand icon below the device indicator and you can run extended smart self-tests.

Oh cool, thanks!

But now I'm curious, why doesn't UD link to the same place as the dashboard?

http://192.168.10.51/Dashboard/New?name=sdk

Also, the tooltip on the device link in UD says "Run Smart Report on sdk", which isn't exactly correct if it is only linking to the attributes :)

Go to the dashboard and click on the hand icon below the device indicator and you can run extended smart self-tests.

Oh cool, thanks!

Also, the tooltip on the device link in UD says "Run Smart Report on sdk", which isn't exactly correct if it is only linking to the attributes :)

I didn't see the need for anything other than the Attributes.

I'll change the tool tip text.

Oh cool, thanks!

I didn't see the need for anything other than the Attributes.

I'll change the tool tip text.

Ah ok.  I guess my use case is a little out of the ordinary, I am preparing a hard drive for a friend so I wanted to run both a preclear and an extended smart test without adding the drive to the array.  I suppose the more common process would be to run the smart test after the drive was added to the array.

Thanks again for pointing out the link on the dashboard!

Got a minor idea for the remote / iso shares area... currently there is a green ball all the time, would it make sense to show a white ball when they are defined but not mounted?

Currently the green ball is on when the iso file is found and off (blinking) when the file is missing.  The SMB mount shows the same status depending on whether or not the remote share is available.

I see what you mean, I moved the iso image and saw the icon go white.  I wonder if that should be red?  Then the colors would be:

• Missing ISO / unavailable SMB - red
  • ISO/SMB exist but unmounted - white
  • Successfully mounted - green

It feels like this would fit unraid disk conventions a little better.

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the response.

I replied earlier that it was a BTRFS partition, I assume that is supported? While doing some further test I noticed this error in the log:

>>>>>>>

Tower udevd[23965]: '/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/scripts/rc.unassigned reload >/dev/null 2>&1 & disown' [24095] terminated by signal 7 (Bus error)

<<<<<<<

This was when I pressed the rescan button in the plugin. It appeared in the logs. Does this indicate anything?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the response.

I replied earlier that it was a BTRFS partition, I assume that is supported? While doing some further test I noticed this error in the log:

>>>>>>>

Tower udevd[23965]: '/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/unassigned.devices/scripts/rc.unassigned reload >/dev/null 2>&1 & disown' [24095] terminated by signal 7 (Bus error)

<<<<<<<

This was when I pressed the rescan button in the plugin. It appeared in the logs. Does this indicate anything?

Thanks

I didn't catch that the format was initially btrfs.  I thought you re-formated the drive with btrfs.  Currently btrfs is not supported in UD.

The log entry comes from udev when UD refreshes a device's udev information.  I'm not sure what it means.

New release 2016.03.11 available that fixes the NFS share mounting problem.

In my testing I had some very strange things happening that I attribute to the way I was testing the NFS share mounts.  I was mounting NFS shares on the same server I was testing, that was causing some strange problems.  Because of that, I added a check that doesn't allow mounting a NFS share on the same server.  I don't know why anyone would do that, but just to be sure, I block it.

Because of the issues I was having, I had to make quite a few adjustments to the code to prevent problems.  While none of the adjustments related to functionality, I made a lot of changes.  I've tested pretty well and don't expect any problems, but watch UD carefully for any strange behavior.

The areas I was not able to test thoroughly are preclear status, and formatting a drive.

New release 2016.03.11 available that fixes the NFS share mounting problem.

Right on!  Upon a cursory look, it's mounting remote NFS shares without apparent issue!

Mar 11 17:26:36 Mount SMB/NFS command: mount -t nfs -o defaults 'nas1://mnt/user/Movies' '/mnt/disks/nas1_Movies'
Mar 11 17:26:36 Successfully mounted 'nas1://mnt/user/Movies' on '/mnt/disks/nas1_Movies'.
Mar 11 17:26:36 Defining share 'nas1_Movies' on file '/etc/samba/unassigned-shares/nas1_Movies.conf'
Mar 11 17:26:36 Adding share 'nas1_Movies' to '/boot/config/smb-extra.conf'
Mar 11 17:26:36 Reloading Samba configuration...
Mar 11 17:26:36 Directory '/mnt/disks/nas1_Movies' shared successfully.
Mar 11 17:26:36 Adding NFS share '/mnt/disks/nas1_Movies' to '/etc/exports'.
Mar 11 17:26:36 Adding NFS share '/mnt/disks/nas1_Movies' to '/etc/exports-'.
Mar 11 17:26:36 Device 'nas1://mnt/user/Movies' script file not found.  'ADD' script not executed.

root@Tower:/var/log# exportfs
/mnt/disks/nas1_Movies
	<world>

A very large thank you for your efforts.  This IMHO is an essential plugin.

Regards,

Jake

I wanted to share that the current version of Unassigned Devices "seems" at first glance to be playing well with 6.2.0-beta18.

Screen_Shot_2016_03_12_at_3_56_28_PM.png

Although interestingly at the point where the initial Parity Sync is happening the 2nd Parity drive still shows in the Unassigned Devices section even though it has been assigned to the 2nd Parity slot in the Array and the Array is started and a Parity Sync is underway:

Screen_Shot_2016_03_12_at_7_16_42_PM.png

Yep, still there even when the Parity Sync has finished. Mount is greyed out though so at least you can't DO anything bad. UD probably needs to be taught to ignore that 2nd Parity I imagine.

Screen_Shot_2016_03_12_at_7_33_25_PM.png

For giggles I clicked the preclear icon to see what happened:

Screen_Shot_2016_03_12_at_7_33_10_PM.png

Didn't want to press Start  :)8)

• trurl pinned this topic