Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

I can't seem to figure out how to get my drive to mount as R/W. Every time I try to do something I end up with a "Read-only file system" message. It's an ntfs drive.

Look at the UD log.  A Windows ntfs drive will not mount r/w under some circumstances.  The log will show the mount error before it is mounted r/o.

ah, ok. I didn't realize it had a log.

Apr 07 09:34:29 Mount failed with error: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
Failed to mount '/dev/sdh2': Operation not permitted
The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
read-only with the 'ro' mount option.

Apr 07 09:34:29 Mount ntfs drive read only.

Which is exactly why I'm transferring the files off of there in the first place. Thanks.

If you are transferring files OFF the ntfs drive you only need ReadOnly to access the data anyway.

Yea, I just prefer to cut and paste so that if something goes wrong in the middle of it I don't have to figure out what was copied, what wasn't, and where the partially written file is to overwrite.

If you are transferring files OFF the ntfs drive you only need ReadOnly to access the data anyway.

Yea, I just prefer to cut and paste so that if something goes wrong in the middle of it I don't have to figure out what was copied, what wasn't, and where the partially written file is to overwrite.

Well I guess that is one way of looking at it. Another way of looking at it is if something goes wrong you have deleted the original files.

Use MC and transfer the files that way.  If the file exists it will give you the option to replace or replace if changed and you can specify the ALL option for it as well.

Unassigned Devices Does Not Format

I am on the latest version of UD, unraid 6.1.9, and in settings, Destructive Mode is Enabled. This happens both on my server, and my sisters server. A drive that has just been pre-cleared, when I click the "Format" button, I get a "fromat Failed.."

KchlGt.png

It gets the error if I try formating to XFS and NTFS. On two separate servers. Any ideas? It has to be a simple thing.

Many thanks,

H.

Unassigned Devices Does Not Format

I am on the latest version of UD, unraid 6.1.9, and in settings, Destructive Mode is Enabled. This happens both on my server, and my sisters server. A drive that has just been pre-cleared, when I click the "Format" button, I get a "fromat Failed.."

KchlGt.png

It gets the error if I try formating to XFS and NTFS. On two separate servers. Any ideas? It has to be a simple thing.

Many thanks,

H.

Post the UD log please.

Found some nfs issues with v6.2 beta.  Nfs does not like to export remotely mounted file systems.  Remote shares will no longer be exported with nfs on the local machine.  If you have any remote shares and have nfs export enabled in the UD settings, unmount those remote shares before updating UD so the existing nfs export entries will be removed.

EDIT: This applies to 6.1.9 and 6.2.  6.1.9 has the same issue, it just did not complain about it.

Hi @dlandon nice will be add possibility mount KVM images like now you have ISO

is very easy way to mount qow2 or raw image in unRAID

https://www.kumari.net/index.php/system-adminstration/49-mounting-a-qemu-image

qemu-nbd --connect=/dev/nbd0 file.qcow2
Then you mount it:
mount /dev/nbd0p1 /mnt/kvm

you can check parition by fdisk -l /dev/nbd0

Then we can browse files without starting VM, fix somethig, get fast access etc.

(in beta21 is problem with module nbd because max_part=0 and when we try mount any parition of img KVM then we get error, for now fix fe can start kernel with parametr nbd.max_part=64, from beta22 i know that will be fixed and default setup on 64 )

Hi @dlandon nice will be add possibility mount KVM images like now you have ISO

is very easy way to mount qow2 or raw image in unRAID

https://www.kumari.net/index.php/system-adminstration/49-mounting-a-qemu-image

qemu-nbd --connect=/dev/nbd0 file.qcow2
Then you mount it:
mount /dev/nbd0p1 /mnt/kvm

you can check parition by fdisk -l /dev/nbd0

Then we can browse files without starting VM, fix somethig, get fast access etc.

(in beta21 is problem with module nbd because max_part=0 and when we try mount any parition of img KVM then we get error, for now fix fe can start kernel with parametr nbd.max_part=64, from beta22 i know that will be fixed and default setup on 64 )

I did a little research a while back on mounting a VM disk image and found some concern about corrupting the VM image if the VM is running at the same time. I played around a bit, but abandoned the idea because of this and the offset issue when mounting the image file.

This is an interesting idea, but I think it might be better if it were incorporated into the VM manager by LT.  I am not comfortable messing with a VM image file with UD.

Can UD reformat a drive?

I have an SSD formated as BTRFS that used to be my cache drive and is now an unassigned device.  I would like to format it as xfs and use it keep my VMs.

Thank you.

Yes.  Turn on destructive mode in the UD settings, delete the partition on UD, and the re-format.

@dlandon

I've got destructive mode turned on.

I click on the red X and type Yes to confirm deleting the partition.

The line under the SSD's entry that lists the partition goes away.

However, when I click on the SSD's entry the partition seems to still be there and I don't see a button labeled "format" anywhere.

I'm sure I'm missing something.

This is what I see after clicking on the red X to remove the partition and then clicking on the device serial number.

Clicking on the four little squares does not seem to do anything.

If you hover your mouse over the active areas on the page, you will see a tool tip that can help you understand what each active area does.

Click on the red X to delete the partition called /mnt/disks/ssd and then I think the 'Mount' button will turn into a 'Format' button.  You have to remove all the partitions until the btrfs format goes away.

UD version 2016.04.09

Precleared drive connected and detected.

1. Should there be some way of getting smart data with the GUI?

2. Format button accepts input, but no matter what is entered after entering Yes and clicking format, the button turns inactive and states Format failed... then after a few moments switches back to the Format button.

Apr 11 12:05:18 Clearing partition table of disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 12:05:18 Reloading disk '/dev/sdd' partition table.
Apr 11 12:05:18 Creating a 'msdos' partition table on disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 12:05:18 Creating a primary partition on disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 12:05:18 Formatting disk '/dev/sdd' with 'xfs' filesystem.
Apr 11 15:16:02 Clearing partition table of disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:16:03 Reloading disk '/dev/sdd' partition table.
Apr 11 15:16:03 Creating a 'msdos' partition table on disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:16:03 Creating a primary partition on disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:16:03 Formatting disk '/dev/sdd' with 'btrfs' filesystem.
Apr 11 15:16:26 Clearing partition table of disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:16:26 Reloading disk '/dev/sdd' partition table.
Apr 11 15:16:26 Creating a 'msdos' partition table on disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:16:26 Creating a primary partition on disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:16:26 Formatting disk '/dev/sdd' with 'ntfs' filesystem.
Apr 11 15:16:41 Clearing partition table of disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:16:41 Reloading disk '/dev/sdd' partition table.
Apr 11 15:16:41 Creating a 'msdos' partition table on disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:16:41 Creating a primary partition on disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:16:41 Formatting disk '/dev/sdd' with 'xfs' filesystem.
Apr 11 15:18:45 Clearing partition table of disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:18:45 Reloading disk '/dev/sdd' partition table.
Apr 11 15:18:45 Creating a 'msdos' partition table on disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:18:45 Creating a primary partition on disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:18:45 Formatting disk '/dev/sdd' with 'xfs' filesystem.
Apr 11 15:22:59 Clearing partition table of disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:22:59 Reloading disk '/dev/sdd' partition table.
Apr 11 15:22:59 Creating a 'msdos' partition table on disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:22:59 Creating a primary partition on disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:22:59 Formatting disk '/dev/sdd' with 'xfs' filesystem.

Entire content of log button results, shows multiple attempts to format with various FS types, but no real results. Is there a way to enable more extensive logging?

@dlandon

The image I uploaded above shows the four squares which I have clicked to no avail.  I have a second drive listed in UD and when I clicked on the serial number for the second drive, the line with the four squares appears, only this time the four squares are blue and clickable. Hovering over the four blue squares brings up a tooltip that says "File System Check". 

Question:  What determines whether the four squares are clickable?  In my case, for sda (the ssd formated BTRFS) they are not clickable, but for sdg (a WD 5TB HD formated as xfs) they are.

Since I could not get rid of the partition on sda, I clicked on the preclear icon thinking it would clear the partition and test the drive. After preclearing the ssd, the Mount button has changed to Format, which is what I wanted.

However, clicking on Format, choosing XFS, and entering Yes in the dialog box results in the Format button changing to Format failed.  The UD Log shows these entries which look like it repartitioned the drive.

Apr 11 13:39:49 Clearing partition table of disk '/dev/sda'.
Apr 11 13:39:49 Reloading disk '/dev/sda' partition table.
Apr 11 13:39:49 Creating a 'msdos' partition table on disk '/dev/sda'.
Apr 11 13:39:49 Creating a primary partition on disk '/dev/sda'.
Apr 11 13:39:49 Formatting disk '/dev/sda' with 'xfs' filesystem.

I am running UD version 2016.03.26.  I thought I would try with this version because Jonathanm's post said he was unable to format a precleared drive with version 2016.04.09. 

UD version 2016.04.09

Precleared drive connected and detected.

1. Should there be some way of getting smart data with the GUI?

2. Format button accepts input, but no matter what is entered after entering Yes and clicking format, the button turns inactive and states Format failed... then after a few moments switches back to the Format button.

Apr 11 12:05:18 Clearing partition table of disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 12:05:18 Creating a 'msdos' partition table on disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 12:05:18 Creating a primary partition on disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 12:05:18 Formatting disk '/dev/sdd' with 'xfs' filesystem.
Apr 11 15:16:02 Clearing partition table of disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:16:03 Creating a 'msdos' partition table on disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:16:03 Creating a primary partition on disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:16:03 Formatting disk '/dev/sdd' with 'btrfs' filesystem.
Apr 11 15:16:26 Clearing partition table of disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:16:26 Creating a 'msdos' partition table on disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:16:26 Creating a primary partition on disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:16:26 Formatting disk '/dev/sdd' with 'ntfs' filesystem.
Apr 11 15:16:41 Clearing partition table of disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:16:41 Creating a 'msdos' partition table on disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:16:41 Creating a primary partition on disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:16:41 Formatting disk '/dev/sdd' with 'xfs' filesystem.
Apr 11 15:18:45 Clearing partition table of disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:18:45 Creating a 'msdos' partition table on disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:18:45 Creating a primary partition on disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:18:45 Formatting disk '/dev/sdd' with 'xfs' filesystem.
Apr 11 15:22:59 Clearing partition table of disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:22:59 Creating a 'msdos' partition table on disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:22:59 Creating a primary partition on disk '/dev/sdd'.
Apr 11 15:22:59 Formatting disk '/dev/sdd' with 'xfs' filesystem.

Entire content of log button results, shows multiple attempts to format with various FS types, but no real results. Is there a way to enable more extensive logging?

1. You can get a smart report by clicking on the sdd text on the left side of the line for the drive.  Again, hover your mouse over the active area and it will display a tool tip of what that active area does.  It should display 'Disk Attributes on sdd'.  If it does not, the smart report is not available.

2. I cannot reproduce the format error but I am testing on a spinner.  I suspect you are trying to format an SSD drive.  Is the drive an SSD?

@dlandon

The image I uploaded above shows the four squares which I have clicked to no avail.  I have a second drive listed in UD and when I clicked on the serial number for the second drive, the line with the four squares appears, only this time the four squares are blue and clickable. Hovering over the four blue squares brings up a tooltip that says "File System Check". 

Question:  What determines whether the four squares are clickable?  In my case, for sda (the ssd formated BTRFS) they are not clickable, but for sdg (a WD 5TB HD formated as xfs) they are.

Since I could not get rid of the partition on sda, I clicked on the preclear icon thinking it would clear the partition and test the drive. After preclearing the ssd, the Mount button has changed to Format, which is what I wanted.

However, clicking on Format, choosing XFS, and entering Yes in the dialog box results in the Format button changing to Format failed.  The UD Log shows these entries which look like it repartitioned the drive.

Apr 11 13:39:49 Clearing partition table of disk '/dev/sda'.
Apr 11 13:39:49 Creating a 'msdos' partition table on disk '/dev/sda'.
Apr 11 13:39:49 Creating a primary partition on disk '/dev/sda'.
Apr 11 13:39:49 Formatting disk '/dev/sda' with 'xfs' filesystem.

I am running UD version 2016.03.26.  I thought I would try with this version because Jonathanm's post said he was unable to format a precleared drive with version 2016.04.09.

The four squares icon is for a file system check.  It will only be active when a file check can be performed.  For BTRFS, the drive must be mounted.  For XFS, the drive has to be unmounted.  It's the nature of the file systems.

I can't reproduce the format errors you are seeing.  Are you trying to format an SSD?

• trurl pinned this topic