Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

For those of you having formatting failures, please update to the latest release (2016.04.15) and try to format again.  If it fails, post your UD log.  I have added additional logging so we can track down the issues of format failures.

Apr 15 08:47:26 Reloading disk '/dev/sdc' partition table.
Apr 15 08:47:26 Reload partition table result:
/dev/sdc:
re-reading partition table
Apr 15 08:47:26 Creating a 'gpt' partition table on disk '/dev/sdc'.
Apr 15 08:47:26 Create 'gpt' partition table result:
/usr/sbin/parted: error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Apr 15 08:47:26 Creating a primary partition on disk '/dev/sdc'.
Apr 15 08:47:26 Create primary partition result:
/usr/sbin/parted: error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Apr 15 08:47:26 Formatting disk '/dev/sdc' with 'xfs' filesystem.
Apr 15 08:47:29 Reloading disk '/dev/sdc' partition table.
Apr 15 08:47:29 Reload partition table result:
/dev/sdc:

For those of you having formatting failures, please update to the latest release (2016.04.15) and try to format again.  If it fails, post your UD log.  I have added additional logging so we can track down the issues of format failures.

Apr 15 08:47:26 Reloading disk '/dev/sdc' partition table.
Apr 15 08:47:26 Reload partition table result:
/dev/sdc:
Apr 15 08:47:26 Creating a 'gpt' partition table on disk '/dev/sdc'.
Apr 15 08:47:26 Create 'gpt' partition table result:
Apr 15 08:47:26 Creating a primary partition on disk '/dev/sdc'.
Apr 15 08:47:26 Create primary partition result:
Apr 15 08:47:26 Formatting disk '/dev/sdc' with 'xfs' filesystem.
Apr 15 08:47:29 Reloading disk '/dev/sdc' partition table.
Apr 15 08:47:29 Reload partition table result:
/dev/sdc:

Please try this command:

/usr/sbin/parted /dev/sdc mklabel gpt 2>&1

It may prompt you for confirmation and/or generate an error.

I have solved the mystery of the failed formats.  It seems that in v6.1.9 there is a missing library and parted will not run.  I could not reproduce the errors because I have been testing in 6,2 that has the missing library included.

There is nothing more I can do.

I have solved the mystery of the failed formats.  It seems that in v6.1.9 there is a missing library and parted will not run.  I could not reproduce the errors because I have been testing in 6,2 that has the missing library included.

So are you saying we can't use the plugin with 6.1.9 or that we can, as long as we format and partition separately?

Thank you for chasing this bug down.  Now we know the problem is not the size of the drive or whether its is a spinner or an ssd.

Is there a terminal command we can use to add the missing library? 

So are you saying we can't use the plugin with 6.1.9 or that we can, as long as we format and partition separately?

The plugin works fine except when trying to format a drive.

Thank you for chasing this bug down.  Now we know the problem is not the size of the drive or whether its is a spinner or an ssd.

Is there a terminal command we can use to add the missing library?

I don't know enough about the inner workings of Linux to suggest how to install the missing library.

The plugin works fine except when trying to format a drive.

I'm totally new to unraid and relatively new to Linux. What command to run to properly format the drive from terminal?

When the plugin installs, does it install parted without its dependencies? Is that the problem?

Crap, I had forgotten that the plugin installs parted.  I suspect that this all came about with the update to parted I recently did.

I would have thought it would include its dependencies, but maybe the library is expected to be there in Linux.

I've been a bit scatter brained lately because I am extremely busy at work so I'm not thinking clearly.  Let me put some time into it this weekend and see if I can sort it out.

@tmchow

I posted instructions on page 31 of this thread for how to format a drive as XFS from the command line.

Followed those directions correctly (I think), and could succesfully mount the disk now!  However, the 3TB disk only could create a 2.20TB partition.  Did I do something wrong?

@tmchow,

The web page I linked to had a pretty good explanation of each step. I don't recall there being a 2TB limit on the size of the partition.  If that article does not answer your question, there were many others that I was able to find through google. When you figure it out, post back how you did it so the next person doesn't have to do the same research.

I'm working on rolling back parted to the previous version (3.1).  This will solve the format problems.  I've tested on 6.1.9 and it is working.  The only thing we will lose is UD formatting a ntfs drive that can be mounted by Windows.  I don't feel that is important right now.  Being able to format disks with UD is far more important.

Just sit tight for a day or so and I'll have it all sorted out.

I've reverted parted back to version 3.1 because of dependencies that cannot be sorted out cleanly for 6.1.9.  This should solve the formatting issues.

I would have thought that the parted package would manage its own dependencies, but when I load the packages that resolve the parted dependencies, it breaks unraid because unraid 6.1.9 is not compatible with the updated packages.

The only thing that parted 3.2 offered was the ability to format a ntfs disk that could be mounted in Windows.  I don't see that as a show stopper at this point.

Please let me know if this solves all the formatting problems.  The format logging has been left in UD so we can troubleshoot further as necessary.

EDIT: I stand corrected.  I was able to format a ntfs disk in unraid that Windows could mount with the latest version of UD.  When gfjardim submitted his update to address the ntfs mounting in Windows issue, he recommended using parted 3.2, but it seems that it works fine with parted 3.1.  I will do some testing on 6.2 to be sure UD is working.

EDIT: I have decided to move all packages to my github repository so I can manage and control the packages required for UD.  There have been some issues with certain mirror sites, and changes being made that removed some packages.

EDIT: I stand corrected.  I was able to format a ntfs disk in unraid that Windows could mount with the latest version of UD.  When gfjardim submitted his update to address the ntfs mounting in Windows issue, he recommended using parted 3.2, but it seems that it works fine with parted 3.1.  I will do some testing on 6.2 to be sure UD is working.

The problem with NTFS was that the command used to create the partition didn't declare the partition type ID, so it wasn't recognized by Windows. When I added that information to command, all filesystems but BTRFS were already supported by Parted 3.1. I suggested Parted 3.2 due to BTRFS compatibility. But since it's broken in the current stable version, we should then change the approach of declaring the FS type.

I'll talk to Dan and we will figure it out.

New build works and I'm getting the full 3TB now. Thanks!

Thanks for letting me know.

Today's whine:  This is what the package dependency problem with unraid and plugins is all about.  I did update the packages that parted 3.2 required, but it broke unraid 6.1.9, so I backed off.  Package management can be quite messy.

I am moving all the Slackware packages that UD requires to my github so I can manage and control the packages.  There have been instances where mirror sites have not responded, and cases where the packages were updated and a version we need has been removed.

I set up a test server so I can help with debugging.

I put 2 small hard drives into the test server and precleared them.  The format button appears, but is greyed out.  See attached image.  This is with UD version 2016.04.16a.

Here is what's in UD's log:

Apr 14 15:48:04 Removing configuration '//192.168.8.183/cache'.
Apr 16 09:26:34 Disk with serial 'ST3120213AS_4LS3VKRS' is not set to auto mount and will not be mounted...
Apr 16 09:28:04 Disk with serial 'ST3120213AS_4LS3VKRS' is not set to auto mount and will not be mounted...
Apr 16 10:43:07 Disk with serial 'ST3160812AS_9LS4XQQE' is not set to auto mount and will not be mounted...
Apr 16 10:57:40 Disk with serial 'ST3160812AS_9LS4XQQE' is not set to auto mount and will not be mounted...
Apr 16 11:32:31 Disk with serial 'ST3120213AS_4LS3VKRS' is not set to auto mount and will not be mounted...
Apr 16 11:43:21 Disk with serial 'ST3160812AS_9LS4XQQE' is not set to auto mount and will not be mounted...
Apr 16 13:34:57 Adding disk '/dev/sdj1'...
Apr 16 13:34:57 Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t precleared -o auto,async,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdj1' '/mnt/disks/ST3120213AS_4LS3VKRS'
Apr 16 13:34:57 Mount of '/dev/sdj1' failed. Error message: mount: unknown filesystem type 'precleared'

Apr 16 13:34:57 Adding disk '/dev/sdk1'...
Apr 16 13:34:57 Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t precleared -o auto,async,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdk1' '/mnt/disks/seagate160'
Apr 16 13:34:57 Mount of '/dev/sdk1' failed. Error message: mount: unknown filesystem type 'precleared'

Screen_Shot_2016-04-16_at_1_34.04_PM.png.0761b94630f351605e5b57726caffa9b.png

I set up a test server so I can help with debugging.

I put 2 small hard drives into the test server and precleared them.  The format button appears, but is greyed out.  See attached image.  This is with UD version 2016.04.16a.

Here is what's in UD's log:

Apr 14 15:48:04 Removing configuration '//192.168.8.183/cache'.
Apr 16 09:26:34 Disk with serial 'ST3120213AS_4LS3VKRS' is not set to auto mount and will not be mounted...
Apr 16 09:28:04 Disk with serial 'ST3120213AS_4LS3VKRS' is not set to auto mount and will not be mounted...
Apr 16 10:43:07 Disk with serial 'ST3160812AS_9LS4XQQE' is not set to auto mount and will not be mounted...
Apr 16 10:57:40 Disk with serial 'ST3160812AS_9LS4XQQE' is not set to auto mount and will not be mounted...
Apr 16 11:32:31 Disk with serial 'ST3120213AS_4LS3VKRS' is not set to auto mount and will not be mounted...
Apr 16 11:43:21 Disk with serial 'ST3160812AS_9LS4XQQE' is not set to auto mount and will not be mounted...
Apr 16 13:34:57 Adding disk '/dev/sdj1'...
Apr 16 13:34:57 Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t precleared -o auto,async,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdj1' '/mnt/disks/ST3120213AS_4LS3VKRS'
Apr 16 13:34:57 Mount of '/dev/sdj1' failed. Error message: mount: unknown filesystem type 'precleared'

Apr 16 13:34:57 Adding disk '/dev/sdk1'...
Apr 16 13:34:57 Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t precleared -o auto,async,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdk1' '/mnt/disks/seagate160'
Apr 16 13:34:57 Mount of '/dev/sdk1' failed. Error message: mount: unknown filesystem type 'precleared'

The format button won't show as active until you remove the preclear status file.  I believe if you click on the drive serial number you will see the preclear status.  There should be a red X.  Click on that to delete the preclear status file, and the format button should become active.

This was done so you can not format a disk while it is preclearing.  UD will only know the preclear is completed by the removal of the status file.

The format button won't show as active until you remove the preclear status file.  I believe if you click on the drive serial number you will see the preclear status.  There should be a red X.  Click on that to delete the preclear status file, and the format button should become active.

Clicking on the drive serial number does not reveal anything.

Clicking on the drive serial number does not reveal anything.

Do you have the destructive mode enabled in the UD settings?

That was it.  I guess when I updated UD this morning, the setting for destructive mode went back to disabled and I did not think to check.

Once the drive is formated, the button toggles between mount and unmount.  Is there a way to get the format button back again?

Nevermind:  I see now what you were trying to say yesterday.  Clicking on the red X next to the partition name and then hitting enter will delete the partition and the format button reappears.  This is great.

That was it.  I guess when I updated UD this morning, the setting for destructive mode went back to disabled and I did not think to check.

Once the drive is formated, the button toggles between mount and unmount.  Is there a way to get the format button back again?

Click on the serial number and delete the partition.  Click on the red X to delete the partition.  That will remove the partition and it should go back to 'Format'.

• trurl pinned this topic