Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

First all, I applaud everyone who keeps working to provide functionality that spans the gaps in unRAID.

As it is, this plugin should not exist at all. The moment unraid started limiting the number of all devices attached is the moment unraid needs to provide real management of all those devices. Let's hope LT realizes this and builds in the required support.

In the mean time, keep up the great work and try not to take things too personally when users remain human and refuse to help themselves by looking at the provided help and manuals.

People don't read manuals.

According to the forum stats, 87.4% of the users here will never read a manual (or ask for directions).  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?action=stats

That's because this forum is archaic and doesn't have proper spam-bot prevention.

That went over your head. [emoji14]

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Oh. I thought you were pointing out that the majority of all "registered users" in these forums are really spam-bots. Though I think that number is far larger than 87%.

When I first started with unRAID I made a point of searching out the wiki, reading about hardware compatibility, and generally researching the subject only to find that a lot of the information is out of date. There are articles that show up in searches that are no longer relevant. I'm old and have a certain amount of patience when required to read information for myself but it's frustrating to put in that effort and then discover that the information has been superseded. I know for a fact that certain members of a younger generation have far less patience than me. Perhaps a worthwhile project would be to mark as deprecated those threads that are no longer relevant. Of course, the fact that people here are so helpful also tends to make others lazy! Most questions, however dumb, get a reply - mostly the same day, often within an hour or so, sometimes within minutes. I'd say this board is a victim of its own success, and that's not such a bad place to be.

When I first started with unRAID I made a point of searching out the wiki, reading about hardware compatibility, and generally researching the subject only to find that a lot of the information is out of date. There are articles that show up in searches that are no longer relevant. I'm old and have a certain amount of patience when required to read information for myself but it's frustrating to put in that effort and then discover that the information has been superseded. I know for a fact that certain members of a younger generation have far less patience than me. Perhaps a worthwhile project would be to mark as deprecated those threads that are no longer relevant. Of course, the fact that people here are so helpful also tends to make others lazy! Most questions, however dumb, get a reply - mostly the same day, often within an hour or so, sometimes within minutes. I'd say this board is a victim of its own success, and that's not such a bad place to be.

...thats the reason, why nobody reads the documentation - most of them is outdated - wasting time  ???

About this plugin: I see the main-problem in the reason, that the userinterface is not behave like the rest of unraid like Dynamix.

So first you must rethink to underrstand the behave and second, you must lern, how it works (or RTFM).

But who likes to Read The Fucking Manual???  ;D

An UI should be "self-explaining" and intuitive - but yes, functionality is extensive and very good.

Regarding the red-x: the plugin should have a button or something for deleting the Disk - like in Dynamix. This could help "newcomers" to understand easier, how it works.

As i mentioned, the behavior is different from other UI-function at Dynamix/unraid - so this may be a problem.

I like to say thanks a lot to dlandon for his great work, great support and a great plugin, which gave us the ability that unraid dosnt  ;)

In my case, moving the Plex-Transcoder TEMP-Files away from the SSD and moving the Plex-Database Backup off of the array - GREAT WORK!!!

You're 100% correct there.  The wiki is a continuing WIP, and there really is only one person here who particularily cares about it.  But like most wiki's, every member here has the ability to add / modify the information contained.

I've also started updating the wiki FAQ for v6.  I spent quite a few hours today on it, thought I'd accomplished a lot, then measured how much and found it was only about 20% done!  So there's still a lot to do there, but it does have a lot of good info on unRAID.  I'm working down from the top, with a red warning line marking how far I've got (I keep pushing it down ahead of me).  I'd appreciate anyone reviewing my rewrites for accuracy or improvements.

But, I've been trying to push the FAQ's in this forum to make up for that a bit

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=48508.0

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=40937.0

The wiki is a continuing WIP, and there really is only one person here who particularily cares about it.  But like most wiki's, every member here has the ability to add / modify the information contained.

I didn't know that! I thought moderators and admins were the only ones who can make changes. I make the occasional edit on Wikipedia so if the procedure is similar this is something I'll definitely investigate.

The wiki is a continuing WIP, and there really is only one person here who particularily cares about it.  But like most wiki's, every member here has the ability to add / modify the information contained.

I didn't know that! I thought moderators and admins were the only ones who can make changes. I make the occasional edit on Wikipedia so if the procedure is similar this is something I'll definitely investigate.

For pointers or what-not, get in touch with RobJ - also, I think users only have the ability to modify the User Contributed Content (which is the bulk of the wiki).  The Official Content (pretty much only the manual AFAIK) is most likely locked to admins / moderators

Regarding the red-x: the plugin should have a button or something for deleting the Disk - like in Dynamix. This could help "newcomers" to understand easier, how it works.

Here's a thought (admittedly from someone who doesn't use this plugin - no need for it - sorry dlandon)

My understanding is that if destructive mode is not turned on, then the red-x doesn't appear.  How about something like showing it there but greyed out if destructive mode is off with a tool-tip or something telling you to enable it in settings

Hi, checked through all the pages in this thread looking for 'm.2', didn't find anything.

The m.2 drive I'm using does not show up in unassigned drives section. It is available in cache or parity/drive selections though.

Could it be related to unusual device name (nvme0)?

Running ver 6.2.0-beta21.

Hi, checked through all the pages in this thread looking for 'm.2', didn't find anything.

The m.2 drive I'm using does not show up in unassigned drives section. It is available in cache or parity/drive selections though.

Could it be related to unusual device name (nvme0)?

Running ver 6.2.0-beta21.

Only /dev/sd* and /dev/hd* devices are recognized by UD.  What is the device designation of the nvm disk?  I don't have any to work with so I cannot check.

What exactly do you mean by device designator?

I assume these; all devices are as follows:

root@Tower:~# lsblk
NAME        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
md1           9:1    0   3.7T  0 md   /mnt/disk1
md2           9:2    0   3.7T  0 md   /mnt/disk2
sda           8:0    1  14.3G  0 disk 
??sda1        8:1    1  14.3G  0 part /boot
sdb           8:16   0   3.7T  0 disk 
??sdb1        8:17   0   3.7T  0 part 
sdc           8:32   0 232.9G  0 disk 
??sdc1        8:33   0 232.9G  0 part /mnt/cache
sdd           8:48   0   3.7T  0 disk 
??sdd1        8:49   0   3.7T  0 part 
sde           8:64   0   3.7T  0 disk 
??sde1        8:65   0   3.7T  0 part 
loop0         7:0    0    10G  0 loop /var/lib/docker
loop1         7:1    0     1G  0 loop /etc/libvirt
nvme0n1     259:0    0   477G  0 disk 
??nvme0n1p1 259:1    0   477G  0 part

What exactly do you mean by drive designator?

there are the drives:

root@Tower:~# lsblk
NAME        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
md1           9:1    0   3.7T  0 md   /mnt/disk1
md2           9:2    0   3.7T  0 md   /mnt/disk2
sda           8:0    1  14.3G  0 disk 
??sda1        8:1    1  14.3G  0 part /boot
sdb           8:16   0   3.7T  0 disk 
??sdb1        8:17   0   3.7T  0 part 
sdc           8:32   0 232.9G  0 disk 
??sdc1        8:33   0 232.9G  0 part /mnt/cache
sdd           8:48   0   3.7T  0 disk 
??sdd1        8:49   0   3.7T  0 part 
sde           8:64   0   3.7T  0 disk 
??sde1        8:65   0   3.7T  0 part 
loop0         7:0    0    10G  0 loop /var/lib/docker
loop1         7:1    0     1G  0 loop /etc/libvirt
??nvme0n1p1 259:1    0   477G  0 part

This:

UD does not recognize this type of drive.

And no possibility for work-around I presume?

Yes there is a workaround and that is to mount it manually in the go file like below.

#Mount the intel 750 nvme
mkdir /mnt/nvme
mount /dev/nvme0n1 /mnt/nvme

You also have to partition and format it if you haven't already done that. More info in this post by dAigo

Yes there is a workaround and that is to mount it manually in the go file like below.

mkdir /mnt/nvme

You also have to partition and format it if you haven't already done that. More info in this post by dAigo

But this still doesn't let me create share on it, meaning VMs cannot be run off from it.

Just a short question: Is it normal that the Unassigned Device - in my case a HDD - never spun down???  ???

It prevents my server to go to sleep.

UD issues an idle command to disk drives that will put it to sleep if the drive responds to the idle command.  It should go to sleep unless it is busy.

Why does a disk have to be spun down for the server to go to sleep?

mkdir /mnt/nvme

But this still doesn't let me create share on it, meaning VMs cannot be run off from it.

Why don't you mount it as a cache drive and run your VMs from there?

Just a short question: Is it normal that the Unassigned Device - in my case a HDD - never spun down???  ???

It prevents my server to go to sleep.

UD issues an idle command to disk drives that will put it to sleep if the drive responds to the idle command.  It should go to sleep unless it is busy.

Why does a disk have to be spun down for the server to go to sleep?

Cause i defined it so under the Sleep-Plugin - Server goes to sleep, if all disks are spun down - indication for no longer need the server.

The main reason is to safe energy.

The Unassigned Device is only a TEMP-Drive for the Plex-Transcoder to torture the SSD less.

My unRaid is only for Plex-Streaming.

But i did a reboot and all is fine now - thanks for your help dlandon  ;)

mkdir /mnt/nvme

Because I already have SSD for a cache drive. Adding M.2 to that pool would bottleneck its performance.

Also, running vms off from cache feels a bit wrong. Why would storing vm/docker data be considered a cache task.

mkdir /mnt/nvme

Because I already have SSD for a cache drive. Adding M.2 to that pool would bottleneck its performance.

Also, running vms off from cache feels a bit wrong. Why would storing vm/docker data be considered a cache task.

Running VMs and Dockers from the cache is the recommended mode of operation for unraid and is not wrong.

I have two VMs and 5 Dockers running off an SSD cache drive with no problems.  One of the VMs is a Windows Media Center computer serving extenders and recording TV shows at the same time without any issues with performance on the SSD cache.