Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

I've updated UD to handle NFS remote mounts on servers that do not accept 'server://share' for the source.  This has been this way in UD since I took it over many years ago.  I'm surprised that it has taken this long to surface.  I don't know why the 'server://share' format was chosen, but it seems to be a problem with some servers and in my testing I didn't find any issues with the single '/'.

Any existing NFS remote mounts will continue to work.  You don't need to make any changes.  They will show a source of 'server://share'.  They will mount and work fine.

You will notice that when you create a new NFS share the source will now be 'server:/share' and not 'server://share'.

Edited by dlandon
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, dlandon said:

I've updated UD to handle NFS remote mounts on servers that do not accept 'server://share' for the source.  This has been this way in UD since I took it over many years ago.  I'm surprised that it has taken this long to surface.  I don't know why the 'server://share' format was chosen, but it seems to be a problem with some servers and in my testing I didn't find any issues with the single '/'.

Any existing NFS remote mounts will continue to work.  You don't need to make any changes.  They will show a source of 'server://share'.  They will mount and work fine.

You will notice that when you create a new NFS share the source will now be 'server:/share' and not 'server://share'.

All set now after restart. Thanks again

Hi everybody,

for some time now i have had problems mounting smb shares. Unfortunately I can't say exactly when the error occurred. I want to mount a share from my WD NAS in unraid. The shares are also recognized by unraid, but the mount process fails. Force smb v1 is enabled. Here is an extract from the log. Username and password are definitely correct. Under Windows I have access to the share.

Feb 4 18:38:27 unraid-srv unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//WDMYCLOUD/Musik' using SMB1 protocol.
Feb 4 18:38:27 unraid-srv unassigned.devices: Mount SMB command: /sbin/mount -t cifs -o rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=99,gid=100,sec=ntlm,vers=1.0,credentials='/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials' '//WDMYCLOUD/Musik' '/mnt/disks/WDMYCLOUD_Musik'
Feb 4 18:38:28 unraid-srv kernel: Status code returned 0xc000006d NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
Feb 4 18:38:28 unraid-srv kernel: CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -13
Feb 4 18:38:28 unraid-srv kernel: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13
Feb 4 18:38:28 unraid-srv unassigned.devices: Mount of '//WDMYCLOUD/Musik' failed. Error message: 'mount error(13): Permission denied Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg) '.

3 minutes ago, just-magic said:

Hi everybody,

for some time now i have had problems mounting smb shares. Unfortunately I can't say exactly when the error occurred. I want to mount a share from my WD NAS in unraid. The shares are also recognized by unraid, but the mount process fails. Force smb v1 is enabled. Here is an extract from the log. Username and password are definitely correct. Under Windows I have access to the share.

Feb 4 18:38:27 unraid-srv unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//WDMYCLOUD/Musik' using SMB1 protocol.
Feb 4 18:38:27 unraid-srv unassigned.devices: Mount SMB command: /sbin/mount -t cifs -o rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=99,gid=100,sec=ntlm,vers=1.0,credentials='/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials' '//WDMYCLOUD/Musik' '/mnt/disks/WDMYCLOUD_Musik'
Feb 4 18:38:28 unraid-srv kernel: Status code returned 0xc000006d NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
Feb 4 18:38:28 unraid-srv kernel: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13
Feb 4 18:38:28 unraid-srv unassigned.devices: Mount of '//WDMYCLOUD/Musik' failed. Error message: 'mount error(13): Permission denied Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg) '.

To get it out of the way, have you deleted those mounts within UD and then recreated them? and does the WD support SMBv1?

10 minutes ago, just-magic said:

Hi everybody,

SMB passwords are now encrypted.  You have to remove the SMB share and recreate it.  Have you done that?

3 hours ago, dlandon said:

SMB passwords are now encrypted.  You have to remove the SMB share and recreate it.  Have you done that?

Yeah, I've done that. I have already created a new user (on the WD), but it can't be mounted over it either.

3 hours ago, Squid said:

To get it out of the way, have you deleted those mounts within UD and then recreated them? and does the WD support SMBv1?

before that, it worked without the option "Force all SMB remote shares to SMB v1! But now neither option works.

56 minutes ago, just-magic said:

Yeah, I've done that. I have already created a new user (on the WD), but it can't be mounted over it either.

Try to use a password without special characters.

Turn off 'Force all SMB remote shares to SMB v1!', then try to mount the SMB share.  Then post diagnostics.

21 hours ago, dlandon said:

Try to use a password without special characters.

Turn off 'Force all SMB remote shares to SMB v1!', then try to mount the SMB share.  Then post diagnostics.

great, now it works. I guess it was the special character in the password.

thank you.

Feb 5 20:40:53 unraid-srv unassigned.devices: Removing configuration '//WDMYCLOUD/Musik'.
Feb 5 20:42:38 unraid-srv unassigned.devices: Mount SMB share '//WDMYCLOUD/Musik' using SMB3 protocol.
Feb 5 20:42:38 unraid-srv unassigned.devices: Mount SMB command: /sbin/mount -t cifs -o rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=99,gid=100,vers=3.0,credentials='/tmp/unassigned.devices/credentials' '//WDMYCLOUD/Musik' '/mnt/disks/WDMYCLOUD_Musik'
Feb 5 20:42:38 unraid-srv unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted '//WDMYCLOUD/Musik' on '/mnt/disks/WDMYCLOUD_Musik'.
Feb 5 20:42:38 unraid-srv unassigned.devices: Adding SMB share 'WDMYCLOUD_Musik'.'

Anyone have this issue before? I have a drive set as an unassigned device. I map a folder in it as a network drive in Windows 10. I use Steam and point to the mapped network drive as a secondary Steam library. I try to install a game, it looks to download fine. I try to install a second game at the same time and when it's preallocating the game files for the second game, disk activity for the first game's download goes down to less than 1 megabyte per second. It eventually stalls out and Steam crashes.

The Main tab on Unraid now doesn't load the Unassigned Devices portion. I also can no longer access my array, it seems that UD has crashed all my network shares altogether. I try to stop the array, but it just stays there and the web interface times out. I have no choice but to manually shut down and now have to do a parity check.

Can UD not handle setting up an unassigned drive as network share for a Steam library with all the disk i/o it brings?

9 minutes ago, constellation said:

I would disable the recycle bin on UD devices:

Feb  5 19:20:02 BasementNAS unassigned.devices: Enabling the Recycle Bin on share 'TempDrive'

You are also getting some errors on the ntfs disk:

Feb  5 19:10:54 BasementNAS ntfs-3g[6388]: ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup_warn: magic: 0x48fc9c1b  size: 4096   usa_ofs: 28023  usa_count: 55516: Invalid argument
Feb  5 19:10:54 BasementNAS ntfs-3g[6388]: Actual VCN (0x5de9b5dd95e655e7) of index buffer is different from expected VCN (0x0).
Feb  5 19:10:54 BasementNAS ntfs-3g[6388]: ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup_warn: magic: 0x48fc9c1b  size: 4096   usa_ofs: 28023  usa_count: 55516: Invalid argument
Feb  5 19:10:54 BasementNAS ntfs-3g[6388]: Actual VCN (0x5de9b5dd95e655e7) of index buffer is different from expected VCN (0x0).
Feb  5 19:10:54 BasementNAS ntfs-3g[6388]: Actual VCN (0x5de9b5dd95e655e7) of index buffer is different from expected VCN (0x0) in inode 0x2c25.
Feb  5 19:10:54 BasementNAS ntfs-3g[6388]: Corrupt index block signature: vcn 0 inode 11301
Feb  5 19:10:54 BasementNAS ntfs-3g[6388]: Failed to find place for new entry: Input/output error
Feb  5 19:10:54 BasementNAS ntfs-3g[6388]: Failed to add entry to the index: Input/output error

I am not familiar with these errors.  Maybe @johnnie.black can offer some help.

If it were me, I would use an xfs or btrfs disk format and not ntfs.

Yeah, that's the thing. That has always been set to No so I'm not sure why it even be enabled. Even after reformatting to XFS, I see in the logs that when it got mounted, the Recycle Bin was still enabled for it. I'm also still seeing the same issue on the VM. Will give the server a reboot and try again but things aren't looking good.

2 minutes ago, constellation said:

Yeah, that's the thing. That has always been set to No so I'm not sure why it even be enabled. Even after reformatting to XFS, I see in the logs that when it got mounted, the Recycle Bin was still enabled for it. I'm also still seeing the same issue on the VM. Will give the server a reboot and try again but things aren't looking good.

Long shot here, but I'd test memory.

I swapped out the drive for another one. The original drive having the issue passed preclearing and even the extended test with WD Tools. It IS an SMR drive though. But I didn't think SMR drives would be so terrible that it causes issues like me not being able to unmount the drive or stop the array. Or not being able to load the Main tab in Unraid to check temps when doing a freaking game install.

The replacement drive isn't showing the symptoms and isn't SMR as far as I know (ST3000DM008). The Main tab is also super responsive when trying to display the Open File count and temperature on the unassigned drive. I think I'll mark this down as either SMR's fault or a faulty hard drive. I'll test it out in a bit.

Edited by constellation

Hello 

I'm having all kind of problems with my disk when I changed it from NTFS to exfat , don't know what's wrong , it was working fine when I was on 6.8 , issues started with 6.8.1 and 6.8.2 , not sure if it's even related 

Diagnostics attached 

I get this when I click on the partition 

FS: exfat

/usr/sbin/fsck.exfat /dev/sdq1 2>&1

exfatfsck 1.3.0
Checking file system on /dev/sdq1.
WARN: volume was not unmounted cleanly.
File system version 1.0
Sector size 512 bytes
Cluster size 128 KB
Volume size 233 GB
Used space 55 GB
Available space 178 GB
Totally 731 directories and 1986 files.
File system checking finished. No errors found.

and this is the log 

Feb  6 11:52:05 ramiii unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/sdq1'...
Feb  6 11:52:05 ramiii unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t exfat -o rw,auto,async,noatime,nodiratime,nodev,nosuid,umask=000 '/dev/sdq1' '/mnt/disks/Home'
Feb  6 11:52:05 ramiii unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdq1' failed. Error message: fuse: mountpoint is not empty fuse: if you are sure this is safe, use the 'nonempty' mount option FUSE exfat 1.3.0 
Feb  6 11:52:05 ramiii unassigned.devices: Partition 'Home' could not be mounted.
Feb  6 11:52:05 ramiii unassigned.devices: Running device script: 'king.sh' with action 'ERROR_MOUNT'.
Feb  6 11:52:12 ramiii mount.exfat: failed to read cluster 0x12
Feb  6 11:52:12 ramiii mount.exfat: failed to open directory '/TV Shows'
Feb  6 11:52:12 ramiii kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdp1, logical block 2816, async page read
Feb  6 11:52:13 ramiii mount.exfat: failed to read cluster 0x13
Feb  6 11:52:13 ramiii mount.exfat: failed to open directory '/Movies'
Feb  6 11:52:13 ramiii kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdp1, logical block 2848, async page read
Feb  6 11:52:35 ramiii kernel: usb 16-1.1: reset high-speed USB device number 67 using xhci_hcd
Feb  6 11:52:35 ramiii unassigned.devices: Error: shell_exec(/usr/sbin/hdparm -C /dev/sdq 2>/dev/null | /bin/grep -c standby) took longer than 10s!

ramiii-diagnostics-20200206-1359.zip

Edited by Ramiii
1 hour ago, Ramiii said:

I'm having all kind of problems with my disk when I changed it from NTFS to exfat , don't know what's wrong , it was working fine when I was on 6.8 , issues started with 6.8.1 and 6.8.2 , not sure if it's even related

You'll get a faster response to your issue if you post diagnostics.

12 minutes ago, Ramiii said:

Looks like it started here:

Feb  4 20:44:21 ramiii unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sda2' failed. Error message: ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error Failed to read NTFS : Input/output error NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g. /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation for more details. Failed to sync device /dev/sda2: Input/output error Failed to close volume /dev/sda2: Input/output error 

Looks to be a hardware error came up before you converted from ntfs.

It also appears you removed the disk while it was mounted:

Feb  6 00:21:53 ramiii unassigned.devices: Partition 'Home' could not be mounted.
Feb  6 00:21:53 ramiii unassigned.devices: Running device script: 'Home.sh' with action 'ERROR_MOUNT'.
Feb  6 00:21:54 ramiii mount.exfat: failed to read cluster 0x12
Feb  6 00:21:54 ramiii mount.exfat: failed to open directory '/TV Shows'
Feb  6 00:21:54 ramiii kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdp1, logical block 2816, async page read
Feb  6 00:21:56 ramiii mount.exfat: failed to read cluster 0x13
Feb  6 00:21:56 ramiii mount.exfat: failed to open directory '/Movies'
Feb  6 00:21:56 ramiii kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdp1, logical block 2848, async page read
Feb  6 00:21:57 ramiii mount.exfat: failed to read cluster 0x4419a
Feb  6 00:21:57 ramiii mount.exfat: failed to open directory '/ebooks'
Feb  6 00:21:57 ramiii kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdp1, logical block 8928256, async page read
Feb  6 00:23:12 ramiii webGUI: Successful login user root from 192.168.11.95
Feb  6 00:23:39 ramiii kernel: usb 16-1.1: USB disconnect, device number 24

Reboot your server to clear the improper mount and then figure out what is wrong with the USB disk.

8 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Looks like it started here:

Feb  4 20:44:21 ramiii unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sda2' failed. Error message: ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error Failed to read NTFS : Input/output error NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g. /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation for more details. Failed to sync device /dev/sda2: Input/output error Failed to close volume /dev/sda2: Input/output error 

Looks to be a hardware error came up before you converted from ntfs.

It also appears you removed the disk while it was mounted:

Feb  6 00:21:53 ramiii unassigned.devices: Partition 'Home' could not be mounted.
Feb  6 00:21:53 ramiii unassigned.devices: Running device script: 'Home.sh' with action 'ERROR_MOUNT'.
Feb  6 00:21:54 ramiii mount.exfat: failed to read cluster 0x12
Feb  6 00:21:54 ramiii mount.exfat: failed to open directory '/TV Shows'
Feb  6 00:21:54 ramiii kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdp1, logical block 2816, async page read
Feb  6 00:21:56 ramiii mount.exfat: failed to read cluster 0x13
Feb  6 00:21:56 ramiii mount.exfat: failed to open directory '/Movies'
Feb  6 00:21:56 ramiii kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdp1, logical block 2848, async page read
Feb  6 00:21:57 ramiii mount.exfat: failed to read cluster 0x4419a
Feb  6 00:21:57 ramiii mount.exfat: failed to open directory '/ebooks'
Feb  6 00:21:57 ramiii kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdp1, logical block 8928256, async page read
Feb  6 00:23:12 ramiii webGUI: Successful login user root from 192.168.11.95
Feb  6 00:23:39 ramiii kernel: usb 16-1.1: USB disconnect, device number 24

Reboot your server to clear the improper mount and then figure out what is wrong with the USB disk.

I did a couple of reboots after this error ( on the 4th ) , disk now is exFAT , it shows up but it doesn't mount 

Disk is working fine on both Mac and Windows 

3 minutes ago, dlandon said:

USB port problem on your server?

Might be , other disks mounting fine though but I got a problem with another USB Stick , This disk connects then it's visible but not mounting due to the error and immediately the USB disappears from the list of disks and I have to unplug it , I'll change the USB cable of the drive and try again 

anyway I can troubleshoot the USB ports more ?

• trurl pinned this topic