Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives and Remote Shares Outside of The Unraid Array

11 hours ago, dlandon said:

No. As long as your appdata is intact. You will have to reconfigure the docker xml since it is stored on the flash.

I did the filesystem check and reinstalled from a backup. But the same error is still there. Are there any other options?

Edit:

It's working now... I switched to direct IP access and changed the docker settings from maclan to iplan (don't know if this is necessary... i read it in another post)

Thanks 🙂

Edited by enJOyIT

I am upgrading all of the drives in my server to larger capacity disks, and am planning on using unassigned devices to speed up this process, but I would like to confirm with someone more sophisticated that my plan will work and not be a complete waste of time.

I have 19 disks in the array and 5 open slots.  I connect 5 new disks to Unassigned Devices, preclear (to test them out), then copy (not move) the data from my array to the unassigned devices.  I then remove the 5 unassigned disks and connect 5 more, etc.  At the end, I remove my old array and connect all of the new disks I populated with data and create a new config, letting it build parity.

This way I never lost parity on the old array, and if something happens during the parity build for the new config I could just put the old config back in and say parity is correct.

Is what I just laid out accurate?

Second question: is there a way to perform multiple copy operations simultaneously?  Meaning disk 1 copies to disk 2 while disk 3 copies to disk 4, etc.?  I don't think I can do this in Midnight Commander, which is what I normally use.

Thank you!

19 minutes ago, trurl said:

Replace/rebuild will probably be quicker and just as safe if you keep the original disks until finished.

Wouldn't rebuilding parity that many times place unnecessary stress on the drives?  I suppose I should also note I am replacing the disks with fewer drives than the number presently installed, from 18 data to 12 data.  So I would have to perform copy or move operations anyway, and then shrink the array by zeroing the drives to be removed?

4 minutes ago, trurl said:

You should start by adding another parity.

Ok.  And I can build both at the same time?  Remove the one disk and add two new larger drives as dual parity, and then as long as I do no writes during the process the old parity remains correct?

Forgive me as I resubmit an earlier question: for copy and move operations, is there a way to do multiple operations simultaneously?  Disk 1 to disk 2 at the same time as disk 3 to disk 4 etc.

Thank you for all of the help.

Would it be possible to add a feature so one can hide certain disks from being shown in the UD list?  The majority of the disks listed in my UD are in ZFS pools and I'd like to hide those disks so the UD list isn't so cluttered. It's hard to find particular disks as the list is so jumbled and Linux has a bad habit of rearranging the list every boot. 

5 minutes ago, chuckthetekkie said:

Would it be possible to add a feature so one can hide certain disks from being shown in the UD list?  The majority of the disks listed in my UD are in ZFS pools and I'd like to hide those disks so the UD list isn't so cluttered. It's hard to find particular disks as the list is so jumbled and Linux has a bad habit of rearranging the list every boot. 

The issue with hiding the disks is the ability to un-hide them.  How could one do that?  If they are hidden from UD, how do you access the disk to un-hide it?

You have several options:

• Turn on the "Disable Mount Button" and the mount buttons will be disabled.
  • Set an alias disk name that will sort and move them in your list of UD devices to make it easier to understand.  Start all your alias disk names with "Z" and they will show up at the bottom of the UD list.  Maybe do something line "Zpool1", "Zpool2", etc.
  • Turn on the  "Passed Through" switch so the mount button will show "Passed" and UD will not allow operations on the disks.
  • Wait for 6.12 with native ZFS support and your disk pools will not be shown as UD disks.

There could be an option in UD's config that could list all hidden disks. Or maybe a better option would be to show hidden disks in the Historical section since you can already hide that section.

I already have disabled mounting of ZFS disks but the disk list is so scrambled with non ZFS disk spread all over as well. 

As you can see in the screenshot disks are all over the place and the order changes with every reboot. 

Screen Shot 2023-02-18 at 7.08.26 PM.png

1 minute ago, chuckthetekkie said:

There could be an option in UD's config that could list all hidden disks. Or maybe a better option would be to show hidden disks in the Historical section since you can already hide that section.

It's too complicated and confusing for an edge case use that will not be an issue with 6.12 because your ZFS Pools will be moved to Unraid Pools.

You should assign alias disk names to organize the disks.  As I suggested, name them "Zpool1", "Zpool2", etc and they will show at the bottom of the list because UD sorts the disks based on the device (alias) name.  Actual UD disks will be at the top.  A reboot will not change the alias disk names and disks will not show a different order.

Just now, dlandon said:

You should assign alias disk names to organize the disks.  As I suggested, name them "Zpool1", "Zpool2", etc and they will show at the bottom of the list because UD sorts the disks based on the device (alias) name.  Actual UD disks will be at the top.  A reboot will not change the alias disk names and disks will not show a different order.

I have no idea how to do that.

Recently upgraded to 6.11.5 and I noticed my smb share of my unassigned disk no longer works.  The drive is mounted and I can copy files or create folders.  I just can't access via smb or nfs.  

I have removed all plug-ins and added only CA and unassigned plug ins without improvement.  verified that have allowed SMB sharing and allowed public access.  I have tried to just access the drive even though it does not show up when using UNC \\servername\share  .  any suggestions?

23 minutes ago, dbrown2 said:

Recently upgraded to 6.11.5 and I noticed my smb share of my unassigned disk no longer works.  The drive is mounted and I can copy files or create folders.  I just can't access via smb or nfs.  

I have removed all plug-ins and added only CA and unassigned plug ins without improvement.  verified that have allowed SMB sharing and allowed public access.  I have tried to just access the drive even though it does not show up when using UNC \\servername\share  .  any suggestions?

Post diagnostics.