[SOLVED] Problems after changing CPU + Board

Hi everybody,

I changed my unRAID Hardware as follows:

i7 3770 to i7 6700

DFI Board (Q67 chipset) to Asus Hero VIII (z170 chipset)

For now I got two main problems:

1) The Ethernet not working correctly. It doesn’t get an IP within my LAN - it gets a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx. But my router has DHCP activated. 
I guess it could be a problem due to the fact that with the DFI board I got two Ethernet devices. The Asus only have one. And I can see a „bond“ failure in the POST CLI. 

Any ideas how I can solve it?
Or maybe a best practice guide when changing such components like the board?

There are a lot of „failures“ and „error“ messages when booting - I even doesn’t have a clue where to start because I just read posts here saying „no problems when upgrading hardware“. 

2) my USB drive seems to have some recordnigtion problems. Sometimes it shows up in the boot option but after a reboot or boots directly into BIOS telling me that there is no drive. The usb drive itself can’t be the problem because it runs flawlessly minutes ago with the old hardware. 

thanks for any help

Edited by Maddeen
1 hour ago, Maddeen said:

2) my USB drive seems to have some recordnigtion problems. Sometimes it shows up in the boot option but after a reboot or boots directly into BIOS telling me that there is no drive.

I would start here.  If your USB flash drive is not recognized or drops offline during boot, that will cause networking problems as the system starts.

It might be helpful if you posted your diagnostics zip file (type 'diagnostics' at the command line since you cannot get into the GUI).  The file will be saved to your flash drive and you should attach it to your next post.  That will likely show whether or not the flash drive is being dropped during the boot process.

Just to make sure there are no errors on the flash drive, remove it from your server and let Windows run a chkdsk on it in another machine.

Go into your BIOS and make sure the flash drive is specified as the first (and on some motherboards, the only) boot device.  On mine, since I am booting UEFI, my one and only boot device is UEFI:[name of flash device].  For legacy boot it might be something like USB:[name of flash device].

If your motherboard has USB2 ports, put the flash drive in one of those on your server.  USB2 is more reliable than USB3 on many boards.

After sorting that out, you can see if it has any affect on your network problems.

If not, you can go on to the next section.

1 hour ago, Maddeen said:

1) The Ethernet not working correctly. It doesn’t get an IP within my LAN - it gets a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx. But my router has DHCP activated. 
I guess it could be a problem due to the fact that with the DFI board I got two Ethernet devices. The Asus only have one. And I can see a „bond“ failure in the POST CLI. 

On the flash drive the network configuration is stored in /config/network.cfg.  It is a text file you can edit if you want to mess around with manual changes.

Just deleting /config/network.cfg (or renaming it if that makes you nervous) will force a new one to be created with defaults on reboot.

If you have only one NIC now and you have a /config/network-rules.cfg file, try renaming it so it is not found (or deleting it) and let another one be created on boot if needed.

Changing boards and thus, available NICs for unRAID to use can cause some confusion for unRAID as it is looking for an interface that is no longer present.  This is especially true if you go from two Ethernet interfaces to one and you had bonding of the two NICs on your prior system enabled.

Hopefully, you will not need to manually edit anything once you get the above issues resolved.  If you do, the information below may be helpful.

Here is what /config/network.cfg looks like on my system with two NICs (eth0 and eth1) with no bonding; unRAID GUI is accessible on Eth0:

# Generated settings:
IFNAME[0]="br0"
BRNAME[0]="br0"
BRSTP[0]="no"
BRFD[0]="0"
BRNICS[0]="eth0"
PROTOCOL[0]="ipv4"
USE_DHCP[0]="no"
IPADDR[0]="192.168.1.10"
NETMASK[0]="255.255.255.0"
GATEWAY[0]="192.168.1.1"
METRIC[0]="1"
DNS_SERVER1="1.1.1.1"
DNS_SERVER2="1.0.0.1"
USE_DHCP6[0]="yes"
DHCP6_KEEPRESOLV="no"
DESCRIPTION[0,1]="Dockers"
VLANID[0,1]="3"
PROTOCOL[0,1]="ipv4"
METRIC[0,1]="2"
VLANS[0]="2"
IFNAME[1]="br1"
BRNAME[1]="br1"
BRNICS[1]="eth1"
BRSTP[1]="no"
BRFD[1]="0"
PROTOCOL[1]="ipv4"
USE_DHCP[1]="yes"
METRIC[1]="3"
SYSNICS="2"

I have a static IP address assigned to eth0 and have DHCP turned off to ensure the right address is assigned to that NIC.  Another way to do it is through a DHCP reservation in your router.  On eth1, DHCP is enabled.

Also, you may have a /config/network-rules.cfg file from your last motherboard with two NICs.  Mine looks like this:

# PCI device 0x8086:0x1533 (igb)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="d0:xx:xx:xx:xx:02", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

# PCI device 0x8086:0x1533 (igb)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="d0:xx:xx:xx:xx:03", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth1"

Note how the designation of which NIC is eth0, eth1, etc. is done by MAC address.  This is normally done in the GUI.  If you have this file, the designation of which physical NIC is eth0 by MAC address may be incorrect.

I recently changed motherboards and all this was taken care of automatically with no manual editing on my part; however, I went from a motherboard with two NICs to another motherboard with two NICs and no change in network configuration so it all just worked after the upgrade.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1

Thank you @Hoopster - I'll check any point and update this post after every step.

I'll do this immediatly - so maybe you can refresh this thread within the next hour to have a complete review of all your tips and my feedback.

1) chkdsk the usb drive --> result: no failures (see screen

chkdsk.PNG

2) generating diagnostic file --> command successfully, but there is no file on the flash drive?!? 

I double checked it... CLI tells me "Starting diagnostics collection .... DONE

ZIP File '/boot/logs/tower-diagnostics-20200623-1203.zip' created. 

But no file there ?!? 

So I made some screenshots where all error messages appear - hopefully that give you some more information as needed

First errors - all in a USB contex

first_errors_usb.jpg

Bunch of errors (FYI - the usb drive definitely named "UNRAID")bunch_of_errors.jpg

Last errors and wrong IP: 

last_errors_wrong_ip.jpg

3) I deactivated "fast boot" and set boot mode to "UEFI only".

It seems that this does the trick for the sporadic recognition of the usb drive. Since then the drive always appears and boots up "correctly" -- besides the bunch of failure/error messages. 

4) Renaming 

/config/network.cfg

and 

/config/network-rules.cfg

Update: Renaming does not generate new files - new try with deleting files. 

Update2: Deleting the files does not generate new files, too....

Sadly all tips are not working :(  And now @Hoopster ?

Edited by Maddeen

@johnnie.black - Thanks for your tip. But what you mean exactly with "try re-doing" it?

If you mean, that I need to boot up several times to see if the error is persistant? I definitly can agree -- booted up at least 15 times - no changes.

"Using a diffrent one" -- sounds simple, but how I do it? Can I just grab another usb flash drive, format it to fat32 (MBR or GPT?!) and simply copy all the date from the old to the new stick? 

22 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Backup current flash, re-do it manually or using the USB utility and then restore the config folder from the backup.

Thank you @johnnie.black -- just to be sure - only restore the config folder. All other folders/files can be leaved untouched after using the USB Creator? Right?
Just asking because I got a folder "preclear reports" -- sounds important 🙈

Edited by Maddeen

UP AND RUNNING!! 🙌 Thank you very much. 

I used another USB drive because the old one was a USB3.0 thumbnail (ultra short)

After doing some researches I found a lot of advises for using USB2.0 devices with a case for better heat spreading. 

So I changed it to a Kingston DataTraveler 3G (USB2.0)

Restoring the key works flawless! 

Have a nice day.

1 minute ago, Maddeen said:

I used another USB drive because the old one was a USB3.0 thumbnail (ultra short)

After doing some researches I found a lot of advises for using USB2.0 devices with a case for better heat spreading. 

So I changed it to a Kingston DataTraveler 3G (USB2.0)

Restoring the key works flawless! 

Have a nice day.

Amazing to hear! please set (SOLVED) behind the title so we know its solved!

5 hours ago, Maddeen said:

Glad to see you got it sorted with the help of johnnie.black

FYI - The reason deleting the network config files from the flash drive was not resulting in new ones being created is that unRAID never got to the point of booting.  The flash drive was not found and the bz* files needed to boot unRAID never ran as noted in the errors on the screen.

You definitely had major flash drive problems and I am glad to see that simply using a different flash drive solved the problem.

• Like 1