[SOLVED] - (install and setup help) Got unriad usb to boot... but nothing seems to work? Can not even see the cpmputer in my "connected devices" on the router, booting into GUI Mode just goes to a blank screen.

So if I boot into the GUI version (safe or not) it just goes to a blank screen. If I just choose the top option (default), the screen shot above is what I see on my temporary attached monitor.

The really strange thing is that the computer is not even showing up in connected devices in my router! As a test I booted into ubuntu Live Iso and that worked fine and connected through the lan cable and could access the internet.

Any ideas what to do from here?

(cross post from reddit as my tech support post keeps getting down voted?)

IMG_20200912_034217.jpg

Edited by questionbot

I have attached a keyboard, a wireless mouse (both usb) and a monitor. The only one I had is a TV connected through the HDMI o the motherboard. The netwrok is plugged in via LAN into the motherboard.

The system is new.. I built it just for this... I guess the important things you are asking is...

• Asus Prime Z490M-PLUS LGA 1200 Micro-ATX Motherboard
  • Intel Core i5 10500 CPU Processor
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz Memory
1 hour ago, questionbot said:

that seems to have got it working...

And the reason for this is the updated Linux kernel in the 6.9 beta with drivers and support for the latest hardware.

6.8.3 has an older version of the kernel (4.19.107) that predates the latest hardware by many, many months.

For all but the very latest generation of hardware, 6.8.3 and the older Linux kernel provided the most stable platform while development on 6.9 has focused on new features and the latest kernels.

Edited by Hoopster

Ok... well its all good... I prefer using stable versions but hey... working is working and not working is not working. : )

Ok I added the "parity" drive and the two data drives and started the server... I couldn't see the option at "the bottom of the page" for the cache SSD drive... but I'll deal with that latter. It has to formate everything and get it all setup I guess, everything is showing "unmountable, invalid partition layout"... I assume it is all setting it up...  the message at the bottom says 1.6%... this could take a while.... but after it is done.. I'm sure I can get everything up and running.

Thanks guys....

Screenshot from 2020-09-12 05-59-32.png

1 hour ago, trurl said:

You can go ahead and format the data disks while it is building parity if you want.

I can not seem to see a format option... there is a greyed out button "format" further down the page of that screenshot... and clicking on either the disk icon or the "Disk #" name while it beings up a 2nd screen of info, dose not seem to have a format option?

LFSe8kg.jpg

My understanding is that I need to "stop the array" before formatting.

Edited by questionbot