XFS_Undelete , seems to be a better way to recover files.

uaktags

Hey guys,

So like a few others, i've been hit with a predicament caused by user-error. In a single move, I lost the contents of one of my shares (possibly during a mv command or a sym/hard link moment). While the files lost weren't "important" enough for me to keep a backup of, they were plentiful, and reacquiring would be a far more painful task than the idea of recovery.

I saw from a few posts such as:
https://forums.unraid.net/topic/92076-whats-the-current-way-to-recover-deleted-files/
https://forums.unraid.net/topic/80815-urgent-problem-how-to-undelete-a-folder/
https://forums.unraid.net/topic/73937-help-recover-deleted-files/

that a few others have fallen through the same user-error as me and didn't have a backup. The common replies were "maybe xfs_undelete" but more possibly "maybe UFS Explorer". For anyone that doesn't know, UFS Explorer is probably the worst company/product experience I have. The "standard" license for recovery is for a product called "UFS Explorer Standard Recovery" but i'd forgive you for accidentally getting their "UFS Professional Recovery" or getting confused with "Recovery Explorer Professional", or "Recovery Explorer Standard". These are all the same company, and for the most part appear to be the same software (just with limitations/abilities added or removed). If you make the mistake and get UFS Professional Recovery's trial, like i did, and start the painstaking 8-11hour scan for lost data.....don't worry, you can NOT use that saved scan on the Standard versions. So, if you mess up like me, you may buy the license for the Standard (~75$) but accidentally download the Recovery Explorer Pro or the UFS Pro Recovery, start a scan, and then realize you don't have the right license nor can you bring the results/scan over to the Standard.

In the end though, Standard didn't work at all. It took about 3hours before it errors out and I haven't heard back from support. So I went with "xfs_undelete" instead.

So, as mentioned in the other threads, you'll need Nerd Pack to download tcl and tcllib. Then what I did was I stopped my array and mounted some large external storage (truth be told, i mounted an old NAS i had with 4bays, that i had replaced with unraid). Then, after mounting my Destination drive, I basically downloaded xfs_undelete, and used the following parameters to fit my needs. I knew what I was looking for (for me, video files) and I knew a date range of when they were deleted (Jan 9th):

xfs_undelete -t 2021-01-09 -r 'video/*' -o /mnt/remotes/nas-drive/xfs_undeleted/ /dev/sdd1

Now, the crappy part is doing it via cifs to the NAS, I can only run this for 1 drive at a time (the CIFS connection becomes unstable), but i reckon i could do this with drives connected via USB or SATA.

The results though are awesome! Instead of doing a scan first of everything and waiting for the Virtual Filesystem to be created, and then doing a restore job [UFS Explorers method] this just scans inode by inode and recovers immediately. The filetype allows me to just say every file of this type, rather than waiting for the vFilesystem, so that's great, but it does mean i'm going to get a bunch of junk i don't want since i can't specify filesizes (oh well). Best off...its free, and appears to just work.

Hope that helps others looking for similar support!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/11/2022 at 2:24 PM, Advice said:

Hey, can you give more details on how exactly you installed `xfs_undelete`? 

I've installed the nerd pack and tcl + tclib, but I don't know how to actually add in `xfs_undelete` to my Unraid server.

1. SSH into your Unraid (or access the terminal from the ">_" icon in the upper right hand of the GUI)

2. I used wget to get the file (I installed it in my "/etc/" folder)

wget https://github.com/ianka/xfs_undelete/archive/refs/tags/v12.0.zip -O temp.zip 
unzip temp.zip
rm temp.zip
cd xfs_undelete-12.0/
./xfs_undelete --help

They should get you going. I'm doing a recovery as I type this :) Good luck with yours!

Edited by richardoswald
  • Thanks 4
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/22/2023 at 7:04 AM, richardoswald said:

1. SSH into your Unraid (or access the terminal from the ">_" icon in the upper right hand of the GUI)

2. I used wget to get the file (I installed it in my "/etc/" folder)

wget https://github.com/ianka/xfs_undelete/archive/refs/tags/v12.0.zip -O temp.zip 
unzip temp.zip
rm temp.zip
cd xfs_undelete-12.0/
./xfs_undelete --help

They should get you going. I'm doing a recovery as I type this :) Good luck with yours!

Hey, any pointers on what to do ?

image.thumb.png.78de9c3658e3a2280987bb8f7bd4e148.png

I was was moving some videos around, after which i routinely deleted the then empty folders. At 03:30AM I must have accidentaly selected the parent folder and pressed delete. I noticed immidiatly and canceled the deletion but lost 3tb in movies. BtW there was a parity check running.

I shut down my server and removed each of the 5 disks. I tried to recover the files with UFS Explorer Standard Recovery but only found empty folders. The cause may be that the movie folder is in a share which has all five disks included. 

Now i put the disks back in my server and am trying to get it to work with XFS_undelete.

I don't seem to get the command right. This is the best i can make from the instructions:

./xfs_undelete -t 2023-08-16..2023-08-18/dev/sdc

I also want the restored files to be written to an unnasigned device which i plugged in to the server so:

-o/mnt/disks/Overflow/dev/sdc

do i type this in the same line?Like:

./xfs_undelete -t 2023-08-16..2023-08-18/dev/sdc -o/mnt/disks/Overflow /dev/sdc

image.png.7ab061771db41dcf5e8e9ed9953b0dd6.png

image.png.22f52fc6d860138153680f50bb590f7c.png

image.thumb.png.1e596a70282a669439151f5bb6780e34.png

Obviously i am rather unexperienced using Commandline so any help will be grately appreciated.

Edited by Wesiwestside
afterthought
1 hour ago, Wesiwestside said:

Hey, any pointers on what to do ?

image.thumb.png.78de9c3658e3a2280987bb8f7bd4e148.png

I was was moving some videos around, after which i routinely deleted the then empty folders. At 03:30AM I must have accidentaly selected the parent folder and pressed delete. I noticed immidiatly and canceled the deletion but lost 3tb in movies. BtW there was a parity check running.

I shut down my server and removed each of the 5 disks. I tried to recover the files with UFS Explorer Standard Recovery but only found empty folders. The cause may be that the movie folder is in a share which has all five disks included. 

Now i put the disks back in my server and am trying to get it to work with XFS_undelete.

I don't seem to get the command right. This is the best i can make from the instructions:

./xfs_undelete -t 2023-08-16..2023-08-18/dev/sdc

I also want the restored files to be written to an unnasigned device which i plugged in to the server so:

-o/mnt/disks/Overflow/dev/sdc

do i type this in the same line?Like:

./xfs_undelete -t 2023-08-16..2023-08-18/dev/sdc -o/mnt/disks/Overflow /dev/sdc

image.png.7ab061771db41dcf5e8e9ed9953b0dd6.png

image.png.22f52fc6d860138153680f50bb590f7c.png

image.thumb.png.1e596a70282a669439151f5bb6780e34.png

Obviously i am rather unexperienced using Commandline so any help will be grately appreciated.

root@Tower:~# ^[[200~wget https://github.com/ianka/xfs_undelete/archive/refs/tags/v12.0.zip -O temp.zip ~
bash: $'\E[200~wget': command not found
root@Tower:~# wget https://github.com/ianka/xfs_undelete/archive/refs/tags/v12.0.zip -O temp.zip 
--2023-08-18 15:35:20-- https://github.com/ianka/xfs_undelete/archive/refs/tags/v12.0.zip
Resolving github.com (github.com)... 140.82.121.4
Connecting to github.com (github.com)|140.82.121.4|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: https://codeload.github.com/ianka/xfs_undelete/zip/refs/tags/v12.0 [following]
--2023-08-18 15:35:20-- https://codeload.github.com/ianka/xfs_undelete/zip/refs/tags/v12.0
Resolving codeload.github.com (codeload.github.com)... 140.82.121.10
Connecting to codeload.github.com (codeload.github.com)|140.82.121.10|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: unspecified [application/zip]
Saving to: ‘temp.zip’

temp.zip                                 [ <=>                                                                 ]  26.44K  --.-KB/s    in 0.01s   

2023-08-18 15:35:21 (2.26 MB/s) - ‘temp.zip’ saved [27076]

root@Tower:~# unzip temp.zip
Archive:  temp.zip
4c15e5763e1c560b0b6c8dbdc5f1b06d1530d3fc
   creating: xfs_undelete-12.0/
  inflating: xfs_undelete-12.0/LICENSE  
  inflating: xfs_undelete-12.0/README.md  
  inflating: xfs_undelete-12.0/shell.nix  
  inflating: xfs_undelete-12.0/xfs_undelete  
  inflating: xfs_undelete-12.0/xfs_undelete.man  
root@Tower:~# rm temp.zip
root@Tower:~# cd xfs_undelete-12.0/
root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# ./xfs_undelete --help
xfs_undelete [options] device -- options are:
 -t value             deleted since <>
 -T value             modified since <>
 -r value             list of file extensions and mimetypes to recover <*>
 -i value             list of file extensions and mimetypes to ignore <bin>
 -z value             list of file extensions and mimetypes to remove all trailing zeroes from <text/*>
 -o value             target directory for recovered files <xfs_undeleted>
 -s value             restart at inode number <>
 -m value             magic path passed to the 'file' utility <>
 -l                   list file extensions understood
 -no-remount-readonly do not remount read-only before recovery
 --                   Forcibly stop option processing
 -help                Print this message
 -?                   Print this message

root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# xfs_undelete -t 2023-08-16 /dev/sdc
bash: xfs_undelete: command not found
root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# -t 2023-08-16 /dev/sdc
bash: -t: command not found
root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# ./xfs_undelete -t 2023-08-16 /dev/sdc
This isn't an XFS filesystem or filesystem image.
root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# ./xfs_undelete -t 2023-08-16 /dev/sde
root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# ./xfs_undelete -t 2023-08-16 /dev/sdb
root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# ./xfs_undelete -t 2023-08-16/dev/sdc
Unable to parse time range. Please put it as a range of time specs Tcl's [clock scan] can understand, e.g. 2022-06-04..-2hours. A single value as -2hours is considered the same as a range -2hours..now.
root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# ./xfs_undelete -t 2023-08-16../dev/sdc
Unable to parse time range. Please put it as a range of time specs Tcl's [clock scan] can understand, e.g. 2022-06-04..-2hours. A single value as -2hours is considered the same as a range -2hours..now.
root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# ./xfs_undelete -t 2023-08-16/dev/sdc -o/mnt/external_harddisk/dev/sdi
 -z value             list of file extensions and mimetypes to remove all trailing zeroes from <text/*>

root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# -o/mnt/external_harddisk/dev/sdi
bash: -o/mnt/external_harddisk/dev/sdi: No such file or directory
root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# ./xfs_undelete -o/mnt/external_harddisk/dev/sdi

root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# ./xfs_undelete -t 2023-08-16..2023-08-18/dev/sdc -o/mnt/external_harddisk/dev/sdi

root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# ./xfs_undelete -t 2023-08-16..2023-08-18/dev/sdc
root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# ./xfs_undelete -t 2023-08-16..-6hours/dev/sdc
root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# ./xfs_undelete -t -96hours/dev/sdc
root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# ./xfs_undelete -o/mnt/disks/Overflow/dev/sdc

root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# ./xfs_undelete -t -96hours../dev/sdc
root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# ./xfs_undelete -t -96hours../dev/sdc
root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# ./xfs_undelete -t 6hours../dev/sdc
root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# ./xfs_undelete -t <-96hours..>/dev/sdc
bash: -96hours..: No such file or directory
root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# ./xfs_undelete -t 2023-08-16 -r 'video/*' -o /mnt/disks/Overflow/xfs_undeleted/ /dev/sdc
root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# ./xfs_undelete -t 2023-08-16 -r 'video/*' -o /mnt/disks/Overflow/ /dev/sdc
root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# ./xfs_undelete -t 2023-08-16 -r 'video/*' -o /mnt/disks/Overflow//dev/sdc
Please specify a block device or an XFS filesystem image.
root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# ./xfs_undelete -t 2023-08-16..2023-08-18 -r 'video/*' -o /mnt/disks/Overflow/dev/sdc
root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# ./xfs_undelete -t 2023-08-16..2023-08-18
root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# ./xfs_undelete -t 2023-08-16..2023-08-18/dev/sdc
root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# ./xfs_undelete -t 2023-16-08..2023-18-08/dev/sdc
root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# ^C
root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# xfs_undelete -t 2023-08-16 -r 'video/*' -o /mnt/disks/Overflow/xfs_undeleted/ /dev/sdc
bash: xfs_undelete: command not found
root@Tower:~/xfs_undelete-12.0# 

Im looking into installing the GNU Coreutils now.

I think you want to run this on the unraid device such as /dev/md# so you're doing it on the drives inside the parity protected array.

If you run it on /dev/sdx#/ then you are invalidating the parity since you are writing below the devicemapper. Also, you need to run it on a partition, such as /dev/sdc1 (first partition). Specifying /dev/sdc is for the entire drive. That is why it can't find any valid filesystems..

The /dev/md# syntax may have changed on 6.12 unraid versions for ZFS tomfoolery, so check what the right device name is. I'm still on 6.11 where it's /dev/md1 for first partition of the first drive in the array.

Only use /dev/sdX1 if you are recovering to another drive.

Edited by BRiT
  • Thanks 1

Firstly thanks a lot.

like this? 

image.thumb.png.dc9c78f64510528761a5f1a9419f33ef.png

I still don't get whats wrong with my time range input.

Is the md# part supposed to point to the whole array?

Couldn't figur out where to get the info? 

My best guess was System devices. :/

Where does it say on your system?

Well it seems to be working. image.thumb.png.80b37ee0ae2a17a60653e88300595f22.png

Edited by Wesiwestside

Just used it and worked like a charm. Thanks!

To find source mdX (mine is disk9):

lsblk | grep disk9

md9p1     9:9    0  10.9T  0 md   /mnt/disk9

I knew that nothing writes to the array disk but tried the -no-remount-readonly switch and for some reason it didn't work and the partition was remounted as read only.

./xfs_undelete -t 2023-08-24..2023-08-25 -r 'video/*' -o /mnt/p2ppool/Temp/ /dev/md9p1 -no-remount-readonly
/dev/md9p1 (/dev/md9p1) is currently mounted read-write. Trying to remount read-only.
Remount successful.
Starting recovery.
Recovered file -> /mnt/p2ppool/Temp/2023-08-24-18-13_4297004664.matroska
Recovered file -> /mnt/p2ppool/Temp/2023-08-24-18-14_4297004665.matroska
Recovered file -> /mnt/p2ppool/Temp/2023-08-24-18-14_4297004666.matroska
Recovered file -> /mnt/p2ppool/Temp/2023-08-24-18-14_4297004667.matroska
Recovered file -> /mnt/p2ppool/Temp/2023-08-24-18-14_4297004668.matroska
Recovered file -> /mnt/p2ppool/Temp/2023-08-24-18-14_4297004669.matroska
Done.

To remount the partition as read/write:
root@Juno:/mnt/p2ppool/Temp/xfs_undelete-12.1# sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/md9p1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just want to add another shout out for Recovery Explorer.  I had inadvertently wiped out most of my media share, RE allowed me to recover about 90% of the deleted files to an external drive.  The rest I was able to pull down from an old AWS Glacier backup.

It definitely was painstaking trying to figure out which recovered files went where, but at least it was possible.

And now, I have learned a valuable lesson and set most of my media share directories to read-only. 😒

Could someone help me with this? I had used this command perfect in 6.11.x but now in 6.12.x, I am pulling my hair out. I keep getting "This isn't an XFS filesystem or filesystem image."

Here is what I have done:

1) xfs_undelete was installed on my unassigned device

2) I confirmed the download of dependencies needed with nerd pack

3) Stopped the array

4) Cd into the xfs folder

5) ./xfs_undelete -t 2023-09-01 -o /mnt/disks/temp /dev/md1p1

I have tried /dev/sdj , /dev/sdj1, /dev/md1, /dev/mdp1 to no avail. Any adivse? Thank you!!!!

Edit: SOLVED. I am using XFS encrypted which makes it impossible, I believe for xfs_undelete to even recognize it as the correct file system. Luckily, my data was first on an unassigned device which I could use undelete on. I need better backup protocols for data on the array it looks like!

Edited by CybranNakh
Solved my problem
On 11/28/2023 at 1:17 PM, CybranNakh said:

I am using XFS encrypted

On 11/28/2023 at 1:17 PM, CybranNakh said:

I need better backup protocols

Definitely. Any data that is encrypted becomes very difficult or impossible to recover when there is a file system error. Encryption makes backup even more important.

• 1 month later...
@CybranNakh To recover files from an encrypted filesystem, you have to point xfs_undelete to the LVM device /dev/mapper/whateveritisnamedonyourmachine that handles the decryption instead of /dev/md1p1 or whatever the mdraid device is.
  • 3 weeks later...

Lost 4TB+ of files, new drive to be used with xfs_undelete already in its way here...

a question though: As my data is/was spread along the data array, should I run this program for every drive on the array separately?

4SJLFEQ.png

do I need to run it separately for every /dev/sd#1? or perhaps for every /dev/md#p1?

it doesn't seem it would work that way but I guess I got that information wrong..

Thank you and sorry if I'm highjacking this post. It's just that I've seen people redirecting other posts to this one and didn't want to create a new one so results are consolidated.

Edited by b3lc