One of my best friends is getting married tomorrow...

Rajahal

It is a 9 drive server with all internal bays (uses the Antec 902 V2 case and three of the Antec 3-in-3 cages).

Briefly, the parts list is:

Biostar A760G M2+

Sempron 140

2 GB DDR2 800 RAM

2 port PCIe x1 SIL3132 card

2 port PCI card (runs the 9th drive and the eSATA port, so there shouldn't be any significant bottleneck issues)

Corsair 430W PSU

Various SATA cables, molex to SATA converters, etc.

2 GB Tuff n Tiny flash drive

This is pretty much my friend's dream server, but I left some room for future upgrades/expansion, such as the PCI card.  I figure some day he'll figure out why I love hot swap bays so much and upgrade to some 4-in-3s or 5-in-3s.  Or maybe just 9 single hot swap bays, like my personal server has.

This will be his first server.

Darn. I'm married since 1999. Nobody even thought of a present like this.

Sweet, and yes, he must be a very good friend!

I got married in 1974.   Nobody even thought of a present like this either  ;)

Joe L.

L2jWU.jpgkscdo.jpg

Just think how many punched cards it would take to equal a single 2TB drive...
Just think how many punched cards it would take to equal a single 2TB drive...

Easy math: One Hollerith Punch Card had 80 Byte of information on it.

2 TB are 2,000,000,000,000 Byte

So we need 25,000,000,000 cards.

Given the thickness of one card (0.17 mm, just measured  ;D) it would be a staple of cards having the height of 4,250,000,000 millimeters -> 42,500 kilometers.

Which is roughly the circumference of the earth...

God, I feel so old right now  :o

In the unlikely event of me ending up married (not trying to knock any of y'all that are married, just stating how snugly I fit into the whole "tech nerd" demographic), I want more folks like Rajahal showing up to the event. Then again, my gift registries would probably be with ThinkGeek and Newegg.  ;D

And yeah, it's bewildering when you try to wrap your mind around how far storage technology has come in recent decades. My mom (76 years old) has understandable difficulty grasping how stuff like ipods and smartphones store and do as much as they do. Never mind how the internet works...

Did his wife approve the gift?  ;)

I believe so.  They both watch a lot of TV and movies together, so I figured it would benefit them both.  I originally wanted to get her some cast iron cookware, but I didn't have time to make it to my favorite wok shop in San Francisco.

That's the other issue - there's no drives in the server at the moment.  I intend to give him a 1.5 TB 7200rpm Seagate out of my server, but the 2 TB Seagate LP that I was going to use to replace it turned out to be failing.  So now I have to RMA that one, wait for the replacement, etc.  He doesn't have enough spare drives to start moving stuff yet...