[Solved] Docker image getting full despite not using Docker

Namarath

A bit of a weird one here. The fix common problems plugin is pestering me, because apparently my docker image is getting full. This is an issue that can be found all over the forum. I did not however find this particular scenario described anywhere.

The thing is, I do not use docker at all... don't have one container running.

1598258705_Screenshot2021-09-21222523.thumb.png.45c7f39a5ee761b1915caa4908bdd412.png

575582279_Screenshot2021-09-21222507.png.cbf57ddb8ed78ee803e747f7c84d5742.png

There is a docker.img file in my system share. It is around 20GB in size. At the same time there is nothing mounted under /var/lib/docker -> not sure about that.

1146728334_Screenshot2021-09-21222443.png.bb7b388cfc7822c37bd4e4229d8af4f7.png

Under settings > Docker > advanced settings I see this:

1350247916_Screenshot2021-09-21222824.thumb.png.3ff3e0051a3d4f26d108b037ad302a84.png

It kind off looks to me like the whole drive /dev/nvme0n1p1 is the "docker image". Looking at the size of the drive and how full it is I actually come at those 87% utilization that the common problems plugin is reporting.

There also is no option to resize the image here.

Any suggestions? I do know the drive is getting full, this is ok. It is used for storing the game library, VM images and docker images.

Yeah, it's a yes and no thing (and the OS itself is also guilty of it).

FCP is seeing that the docker "image" (in this case your nvme) is over it's arbitrary limit of (IIRC) 75%, and letting you know about it.

The OS is even worse when using a folder and it goes over the limits set in Settings - Disk Settings.  You get notified about the cache drive getting full and the "image" getting full.  (I've already got an issue raised on an internal reporting system for this)

Ignore the error from FCP

• Like 1

Thank you for all the replies 👍

Attaching diagnostics dump:

nexus-diagnostics-20210922-0935.zip

9 hours ago, trurl said:

That suggests you have enabled Docker and specified the path to your nvme for the docker.img

Well, Docker is enabled per default anyway. I never specified the path to my nvme. What I however did, was to move the share location to this drive from another one - the drives and data on them were migrated gradually from my old NAS running OMV. The nvme drive was the last to be moved, as it was used by my main system's OS until I finished setting up unraid.

9 hours ago, Squid said:

Yeah, it's a yes and no thing (and the OS itself is also guilty of it).

FCP is seeing that the docker "image" (in this case your nvme) is over it's arbitrary limit of (IIRC) 75%, and letting you know about it.

The OS is even worse when using a folder and it goes over the limits set in Settings - Disk Settings.  You get notified about the cache drive getting full and the "image" getting full.  (I've already got an issue raised on an internal reporting system for this)

Ignore the error from FCP

Is there a way to make unraid use only the actual docker.img file, instead of the whole drive? Like for example disabling docker, deleting the share, and re-enabling it. Would this recreate the share and the docker.img?

1 minute ago, Namarath said:

Is there a way to make unraid use only the actual docker.img file, instead of the whole drive? Like for example disabling docker, deleting the share, and re-enabling it. Would this recreate the share and the docker.img?

You specify under Settings->Docker whether an image should be used or the file system directly.   You currently have a setting of ‘/mnt/user/system/docker/docker/’ whereas if you want to use an image it should be /mnt/user/system/docker/docker.img (I.e. a file name rather than a folder.). You can also then delete the superfluous ‘docker’ folder at /mnt/user/system/docker/docker/.    You would now need to use Apps->Previous Apps to get back any containers you want re-instantiated with their current settings intact,

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You specify under Settings->Docker whether an image should be used or the file system directly.   You currently have a setting of ‘/mnt/user/system/docker/docker/’ whereas if you want to use an image it should be /mnt/user/system/docker/docker.img (I.e. a file name rather than a folder.). You can also then delete the superfluous ‘docker’ folder at /mnt/user/system/docker/docker/.    You would now need to use Apps->Previous Apps to get back any containers you want re-instantiated with their current settings intact,

Wonderful, thank you @itimpi, @Squid and @trurl. This ^^ did the trick. I did not know you can use a directory instead of an image file. Must have actually f** something up here in the settings during initial server setup. Now the FCP is not reporting any problems anymore.

Thanks again

PS. how does one change the topic title to add [SOLVED]? Or does a mod have to do it?

Edited by Namarath
  • ChatNoir changed the title to [Solved] Docker image getting full despite not using Docker
29 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You can edit the title in the first post in the thread.

Oh, that's how it's done. Thanks :)

29 minutes ago, ChatNoir said:

But I did it in the meantime. :D 

Thanks for this :D

I think I know now what people meant when talking about the unraid community being so great ;) 

• Like 1