Parity Check Stops Dockers

Hello All - I have verified that for the last three months (though issue has been happening for quite awhile) when my monthly parity check finishes all my docker applications enter a stopped state.  I looked in the log file to see what is up, but I do not see the parity check being written in the log.

It has a monthly schedule now I have seen instances of the CA App BU stopping docker but that is not happening here as I tested that with a daily BU and all is well there.

As to the log for the parity check, is it written elsewhere or just not at all?

Thanks...

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same issue. Whenever my monthly parity check starts or if I need to do a parity rebuild, all my docker apps are stopped automatically. As soon as the parity check/rebuild is complete, the docker apps are restarted automatically. I still have access to the array, just not the docker apps. Plex is one of them.

My diagnositic logs are attached. Please note I took these logs during a parity rebuild. I had tried to start Plex from the Docker tab but it would not work.

Dale

tower-diagnostics-20211122-1525.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Given that my backups are scheduled to start at 3AM daily and the diagnostics were taken around 3:25 PM suggests that the backup failed and did not restart the dockers upon failure. Since this happens only when the parity check is running (at the end of each month), and noting that the backup WILL shutdown the dockers before beginning, could the parity check have interfered with the the backup causing it to fail?

If so, how can I set the backup to not start if a parity check is running?

16 hours ago, dchamb said:

Since this happens only when the parity check is running (at the end of each month), and noting that the backup WILL shutdown the dockers before beginning, could the parity check have interfered with the the backup causing it to fail?

The two actions are independent of each other, although a parity check running will degrade array performance which may make the backup take longer than normal.

1 hour ago, dchamb said:

Do you feel a daily backup is unnecessary? 

How much appdata will you loose if you have to go back one week ?

For me, that is not that big an issue.

Plex will re-scan a few show or movies; I'll loose a few play status.

I might also loose one week of server statistics but I can live with it.

I can't make that decision for your use case obviously.