Removing disk from Array, adding a new one and more

piratx

Since you rebuilt disk11 to a new disk, whatever was on original disk11 is now on new disk11. So of course you still have those on the array.

And, if you use the nvme in a pool as is, it will contain duplicates of those disk11 files.

What do you get from the command line with this?

ls -lah /mnt/disk11

/bin/ls: cannot access '/mnt/disk11': No such file or directory

Last one is disk10 now

root@eleven:~# ls -lah /mnt/disk10
total 8.0K
drwxrwxrwx   7 nobody users 138 Nov 19 19:24 ./
drwxr-xr-x  17 root   root  340 Nov 19 19:14 ../
drwxrwxrwx   4 nobody users  47 Apr  1  2019 backup/
drwxrwxrwx   3 nobody users  33 Apr  2  2021 disavowed/
-rw-rw-rw-   1 root   root  647 Apr 21  2020 docker-compose.yml.bak
drwxrwxrwx   6 nobody users  87 Nov 10 15:58 downloads/
drwxrwxr-x+ 11 nobody users 170 Nov 13 11:57 eleven/
drwxrwxrwx   3 nobody users  19 Apr 12  2021 isos/

Edited by piratx

7 hours ago, piratx said:
/bin/ls: cannot access '/mnt/disk11': No such file or directory

Last one is disk10 now

root@eleven:~# ls -lah /mnt/disk10
total 8.0K
drwxrwxrwx   7 nobody users 138 Nov 19 19:24 ./
drwxrwxrwx   4 nobody users  47 Apr  1  2019 backup/
drwxrwxrwx   3 nobody users  33 Apr  2  2021 disavowed/
-rw-rw-rw-   1 root   root  647 Apr 21  2020 docker-compose.yml.bak
drwxrwxrwx   6 nobody users  87 Nov 10 15:58 downloads/
drwxrwxr-x+ 11 nobody users 170 Nov 13 11:57 eleven/
drwxrwxrwx   3 nobody users  19 Apr 12  2021 isos/

Since disk8 is the former rebuilt disk11, obviously what we need to see is disk8

Okay, here is disk8 :)

root@eleven:~# ls -lah /mnt/disk8
total 4.0K
drwxrwxrwx   5 nobody users  50 Nov 19 19:24 ./
drwxrwxrwx  14 nobody users 192 Apr 12  2021 appdata/
drwxrwxrwx   6 nobody users  61 Nov 11 10:29 domains/
drwxrwxr-x+  6 nobody users  60 Nov 13 11:57 eleven/

And the nvme can be expected to have those same contents when you put it in a pool.

I assume appdata and domains aren't currently being used, and they aren't unless you have enabled Docker or VM Manager again. Don't know what that eleven share is for.

My point is that you should delete either those on disk8, or those on the nvme, so you don't have duplicates. And you want appdata and domains (and system) on nvme ultimately if they will fit.

Let's just leave them alone for now until you get the nvme pool added. If that goes well then we can decide which to keep.

eleven is the name of my main share.. i have media, apps, etc etc in there.

I was thinking that maybe I needed to make a new share so I can have all the media from radarr/sonarr etc into their share.. i dont know if that will make the things better or not..

So I am deleting everything I have from the disk11 right?

I expected it to mount. Your earlier diagnostics show it was XFS. Since you have the contents rebuilt to the disk assigned as disk8, you can format it and then get mover to move appdata and domains to that pool. You should also get system moved there and then cache would be just for caching, and nvme would be dockers/VMs.

Format the pool

Set appdata, domains, system shares to Use cache pool: Prefer and Select cache pool: sys

Run mover, wait for it to complete, then post new diagnostics.

Did you run mover? As you can see system share still has files on the array. Nothing can move open files, so if dockers/VMs are enabled those can't be moved. And mover won't move duplicates, so maybe that is why. If there are duplicates you will have to figure out which to keep and get those on sys pool and delete the others.

Also, appdata still has some files on cache pool. To get mover to move those you would have to make it move all of it to the array and then make it move all of it to sys pool. Mover won't move between pools.

And the separate appdata you have for plex is all on the array, we didn't really discuss what you want to do with that.

Simpler really to do some of this manually instead of trying to get mover to do it all. Do you know how to work with the files directly on the disks?

Hello :) yes I saw some files stayed on the disks as well.

I'll have to stop the docker/VM to run that again, but one of the VMs is my DNS though.. pihole.

About Plex, this should be my first idea to have plex media on a share for backup, or it was the one from my old server moved to unraid and then added to the docker plex image.

I have used MC (if you mean that) before. Or I can do it with cp -prnv? Thanks once again!

Edited by piratx

Hello @trurl

OK! I have finally the new M2 (500GB) can I use MC to move the files from the old (small one) to the new one?

My motherboard have 2 M2 ports so I guess I can do that and then remove the old one.. or another though is I could leave it for cache? 

And something I just saw Disk 7 is now disabled..

I've attached my diagnostics too

1060541271_ScreenShot2021-11-29at5_39_52PM.thumb.png.5f1d6fc3e3e98de587c6f8be08d73994.png

eleven-diagnostics-20211129-1740.zip

Edited by piratx
12 minutes ago, piratx said:

My motherboard have 2 M2 ports so I guess I can do that and then remove the old one.. or another though is I could leave it for cache? 

I would keep both as separate pools. In addition to having appdata, domains, system on fast storage, it can be useful to have other shares on fast storage, such as for download post-processing. Depends on what you want to do.

16 minutes ago, piratx said:

Disk 7 is now disabled

It has disconnected.

Well I am using it mainly for downloads. So yeah, downloads should be number one.

I can use the old M2 for download post-processing, but then I am having a main share (eleven) and in there the downloads folder.. how could I do the downloads on different share :/

The disk wasn't disconnected.. something else might happen.. maybe my PSU cant power all disks? :/