system forced shutdown after 90 second wait

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

I've noticed for the past few months that if I reboot my server the graceful shutdown fails and the system has to force a shutdown which results in a parity check on boot. Ive attached the diagnostics that were collected as part of the "force" shutdown. I'm hoping that someone can give me some clue what process is causing the shutdown to hang and how to correct it.

brunnhilde-diagnostics-20220105-1809.zip

• Solution

sdf in those diagnostics was the first disk in a pool named torrent, formatted btrfs. sdg was the other disk in the pool, but it was listed in the smart folder as sdp so it must have disconnected.

And the errors in syslog are, in fact, for sdg

Jan  5 18:09:36 Brunnhilde kernel: BTRFS error (device sdf1): bdev /dev/sdg1 errs: wr 872, rd 13057, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
Jan  5 18:09:36 Brunnhilde kernel: BTRFS error (device sdf1): bdev /dev/sdg1 errs: wr 873, rd 13057, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
Jan  5 18:09:36 Brunnhilde kernel: BTRFS error (device sdf1): bdev /dev/sdg1 errs: wr 873, rd 13058, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
Jan  5 18:09:36 Brunnhilde kernel: BTRFS error (device sdf1): bdev /dev/sdg1 errs: wr 874, rd 13058, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
Jan  5 18:09:36 Brunnhilde kernel: BTRFS error (device sdf1): bdev /dev/sdg1 errs: wr 874, rd 13059, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
Jan  5 18:09:36 Brunnhilde kernel: BTRFS error (device sdf1): bdev /dev/sdg1 errs: wr 875, rd 13059, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
Jan  5 18:09:36 Brunnhilde kernel: BTRFS error (device sdf1): bdev /dev/sdg1 errs: wr 875, rd 13060, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
Jan  5 18:09:36 Brunnhilde kernel: BTRFS error (device sdf1): bdev /dev/sdg1 errs: wr 876, rd 13060, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
Jan  5 18:09:36 Brunnhilde kernel: BTRFS error (device sdf1): bdev /dev/sdg1 errs: wr 876, rd 13061, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0
Jan  5 18:09:36 Brunnhilde kernel: BTRFS error (device sdf1): bdev /dev/sdg1 errs: wr 877, rd 13061, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0

There is a known issue (probably existing for quite a while) where the OS is too "extreme" in calling stuff unclean shutdowns.  Currently if any process has to be killed in order to shutdown, then an unclean shutdown happens.

How it's supposed to work (and hopefully fixed next rev) is that only if the drives can't be unmounted cleanly even after killing a process if necessary should be "unclean"

At the end of the day, this means that most so-called unclean shutdowns (where a power failure isn't involved) aren't actually unclean.  (90% of the time whenever this happens to me, I cancel the parity check after a couple of minutes, as I know that on the monthly correcting check it'll catch any issues)

Yeah, I thought about cancelling the check but it’s really not hurting anything so I went ahead and let it run.

Maybe my question should really be rather than a reboot, is there a better way to fix the cache pool when I’ve accidentally disconnected one of the disks (they’re all eSATA in separate enclosures). Maybe just an array stop/start or something.