"SimpleFeatures" Plugin - Version 1.0.11

The next time I get a support request, I'll just ask them to disable SimpleFeatures and then check again.  I'm sure Tom@lime-tech will do the same.    If it makes my task more difficult to help people, I'l l only piss off them when I mistakenly give guidance, and get frustrated when it only masked symptoms (in this case, presenting FALSE symptoms)

Joe L.

Your frustration is understandable!

The statement you are making applies to all plugins, add-ons and extensions which are not officially supported by Limetech.

It isn't the first time (or last) that people report a "supposed" bug only to find out it was introduced by a plugin. Just read the thread of new unRAID versions and be amazed that people overlook (ignore?) the statement "please test with all plugins disabled" despite being it mentioned every second post ;)

Btw SF suffers the same faith, certain issues are caused by other plugins but SF gets the blame! I guess we have to live with that!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speeding-Ant,

Just a thought,

Is it possible to integrate some sort of file manager..

So through the interface we can copy/move files/folders around , even in network environment ?

That would rock very hard!

Unfortunately that's not possible without Limetech changing a few things (don't want to get into it here). It's surely on the cards once this happens.

Speeding-Ant,

Just a thought,

Is it possible to integrate some sort of file manager..

So through the interface we can copy/move files/folders around , even in network environment ?

That would rock very hard!

I opened a thread for features request from SimpleFeatures (not bug reporting).

Maybe we can keep all request there so they don't get lost in this large thread.

Cache_Dirs:

Linux has a built in feature that keeps frequently used directories in memory to prevent disks spinning up when browsing directories. That is a great functionality in combination with unraid, you would want all your disks spun down most of the time right ?

Thing is that this standard linux functionality is based on frequently used directories and available memory. A lot of the directories in unraid might not be access frequently and therefor they would fall out of this linux process.

What cacher dirs does (I am simplyfing a lot here) is basically asking for directory listings of every directory in your array every few seconds, this "fools" linux into thinking the directories are frequently accessed and they remain in memory. As a result your disks will be spun down untill you actually view -FILES-.

You basically only have to turn it on, in some cases however the amount of directories can be SO large that it might cause some issues, then you can use the webinterface to exclude directories from the process. For example I have excluded my itunes directory. To mitigate all my drives spinning up when using itunes I have limited my itunes share to one disk. As soon as I start itunes I do that to play music so that disk will spin up anyhow.

Does this help ?  Stock unraid is really simple and out of the box, but there are a lot of ways to further optimize and tailor to specific needs, this is one of them.

If you dont want to be bothered with specifics just turn it on, mostly likely you will never experience a negative issue, should you; then just turn it off.

Thanks for the info on Cache dirs, I didn't ever turn it on because I hadn't read up on it.  Now after reading your post, I went ahead and enabled it.  I left all settings at default.  The only thing I noticed is I now have two more shares that were created as a result of turning this on.  They are

Network Trash Folder  -  share settings are SMB only and set to Public

Temporary Items  -  share settings are SMB only and set to Public

Please confirm this is normal and that I should ignor those shares.

Thanks again for the awesome post!

if these two shares are ok then what are they for?

don;t know, but they have nothing to do with cache_dirs.  They must apparently be top-level directories that have been created by one of your add-ons.

Are you sure they are not related to Cache dirs?  I didn't notice them before.  The only other plugins that are new, are the new Samba and new SF (installed all of them)

They are not part of cache dirs, Joe would know (he is cache dirs creator).

Any time something creates a directory under a disk (as first directory from the root, like /mnt/disk1/somedir or /mnt/disk2/anotherone ) then that will automatically become a share.

So something creates those directories and therefor they become shares.

Nothing to worry about. Simlefeatures dis not create them either, what is "the new samba" though ? Have not come across it ..

Thanks for the info on Cache dirs, I didn't ever turn it on because I hadn't read up on it.  Now after reading your post, I went ahead and enabled it.  I left all settings at default.  The only thing I noticed is I now have two more shares that were created as a result of turning this on.  They are

Network Trash Folder  -  share settings are SMB only and set to Public

Temporary Items  -  share settings are SMB only and set to Public

Please confirm this is normal and that I should ignor those shares.

Thanks again for the awesome post!

According to some google results OSX (MAC) creates these folders:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=243140

Interesting for sure.  I did connect to my server from my imac the other day, and it must have created those directories. I didn't realize it could just create dirs and then those became shares. 

Is it just me or are we unable to detete Shares via the webgui?  This is my first time looking to delete a Share and noticed there is only a "Add Share" button.  I guess I have to use the console and just delete the directories??

For the new Samba, http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=22604.120

Read pages 9 and 10 for the link.  Look for posts by Barzija

you'll need to add a line in your Go file.

Interesting for sure.  I did connect to my server from my imac the other day, and it must have created those directories. I didn't realize it could just create dirs and then those became shares. 

Is it just me or are we unable to detete Shares via the webgui?  This is my first time looking to delete a Share and noticed there is only a "Add Share" button.  I guess I have to use the console and just delete the directories??

You first need to empty the share and then use the share properties to delete the share.

The "created share" is the result of the Apple creating a directory in the root of the drive, the Mac does not intend to create a share, just a directory, because it is in the root of the drive it is "converted" to a share by unraid.

"Converted" is the wrong word by the way, it is not really converted, it's just the way unraid works, a directory in the root of a drive -IS- a share ..

I'm finding that the GUI just randomly stops responding since installing the new SF. Any suggestions where I should start looking to find out why?

whiteatom

Looks like I am suffering from this now as well.

Can you start with only the core.webGUI plugin installed ?

Working on that now. I have to finish a few other things really quick first.

What I have done so far:

Removed all simpleFeatures plg files EXCEPT core.web from \\TOWER\flash\config\plugins

Removed all files from \\TOWER\flash\config\plugins\simpleFeatures EXCEPT:

• simpleFeatures.cfg
  • simpleFeatures.core.webGUI.png
  • simpleFeatures.core.webGUI-1.0.5-i486-1.tgz

You first need to empty the share and then use the share properties to delete the share.

The "created share" is the result of the Apple creating a directory in the root of the drive, the Mac does not intend to create a share, just a directory, because it is in the root of the drive it is "converted" to a share by unraid.

"Converted" is the wrong word by the way, it is not really converted, it's just the way unraid works, a directory in the root of a drive -IS- a share ..

The shares are empty - looking at the Share info, no delete button. Where exactly do you see the share properties where there is a delete button?

The shares are empty - looking at the Share info, no delete button. Where exactly do you see the share properties where there is a delete button?

- Unraid main page

- Shares tab

- click on the share you want to remove

- does it state it is empty ?  if not empty it if yes, you should have an option to delete the share

• Squid locked this topic