LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

I have the m1015 with latest p20.00.07.00 in IT mode and everything works except the spin down.  Before I realized this I got my parity and one data drive on there  :( Haven't heard back from lime wire support yet.  Should I flash backwards? Or wait for help?  What version seems the most stable in unraid?

Interesting. I have my SSD cache on my controller running the same firmware, so spin down has not been an issue. I think there might have been a setting somewhere that needed to be changed for spin down? I might be wrong.

I have the m1015 with latest p20.00.07.00 in IT mode and everything works except the spin down.  Before I realized this I got my parity and one data drive on there  :( Haven't heard back from lime wire support yet.  Should I flash backwards? Or wait for help?  What version seems the most stable in unraid?

Testing the older firmware would clearly show if it is an issue of the P20.00.07.00 firmware.

Release notes:

Firmware:  \firmware\HBA_9211_8i_IT\2118it.bin          Version no: 20.00.07.00    Release date: 11-FEB-16

ID: SCGCQ01026819 (Port Of Defect SCGCQ00927500)
Headline: IOP: False Reply Parity Error Firmware Workaround

Description Of Change: When the false reply parity error occurs, clear out the interrupt and return. 
If it was a real parity error, then the error would either be seen upstream or downstream as well, and another parity error wouldbe generated.

Issue Description: In the IOP a false reply parity error is being generated, which results in a 0x1500 fault.

Steps To Reproduce: Run in hostboot with specialized drivers and run IOs. 
Some controllers never see the issue, while others see the issue in a highly consistent manner.

Component: \sasctrlfw\common
\sasctrlfw\controllerfw\iop\sched

I must admit, I can't say if it is relevant for unRAID or not, but probably it won't hurt to have it.

(only some controllers affected, hostboot, specialized drivers)  :-\

Edit:

Updated the toolset.  ;)

I saw reports of servers not booting with the PERC H310. It is needed to mask some contacts in that case.

What exactly are the symptoms when this happens, just a back screen?

I have one inserted in a system now and after booting I can enter the configuration utility.

Should I be ok, without masking those contacts?

Also when flashing to IT should I still need to flash the 6GBPSAS.FW and then the 2118it.bin?

Or can I also do without the 6GBPSAS.FW?

When I follow the steps in the toolset will it be flashed to a plain LSI card and can I still add the ROM so I can see if all connected disks are detected?

And what is the story about the que depth? Is it important? Is the LSI version better or worse than the Dell version?

I saw reports of servers not booting with the PERC H310. It is needed to mask some contacts in that case.

What exactly are the symptoms when this happens, just a back screen?

The machine won't POST. Bootloop or beeping, depends.

I have one inserted in a system now and after booting I can enter the configuration utility.

Should I be ok, without masking those contacts?

All fine.

Also when flashing to IT should I still need to flash the 6GBPSAS.FW and then the 2118it.bin?

Or can I also do without the 6GBPSAS.FW?

Yes, the Dell firmware (6GBPSAS.FW) is mandatory as the tool will not let you flash a software

from a different vendor. (I didn't  test it myself - will do next time)

The P7 firmware is also mandatory as intermediate step, as only this specific version of the sas2flsh.exe

will let you override the vendor ID mismatch so you can flash the LSI firmware on the "DELL" hardware.

Once on LSI P7, you can go to whatever LSI firmware version you like (P16, P19, P20).

When I follow the steps in the toolset will it be flashed to a plain LSI card and can I still add the ROM so I can see if all connected disks are detected?

Yes, it will end up as an LSI 9211-8i IT HBA. You can choose to flash the BIOS (guess you refer to that).

Just remove the "REM" in the batch-file in the last firmware folder (P20).

If you boot to unRAID it is not necessary to have a BIOS flashed. unRAID will also show all your

connected drives. The BIOS will significantly increase boot time because it will scan all drives at boot.

And what is the story about the que depth? Is it important? Is the LSI version better or worse than the Dell version?

I don't know if the que depth matters. You can use both but obviously Avago (LSI) is still improving their firmware.

I can't say if DELL does also.

They now also show up in unraid as LSI/Symbios Falcon something...

Where does it show you this kind of info? Which unRAID version?  ???

Under tools PCI devices it shows:

02:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03)

On a former testserver with unraid 6.0 beta 6.

I have a LSI 9300-8i on the way. Will this work out of the box or do I need to flash it

That depends on how the card is sold. In any case, it should have IT firmware flashed for unRAID.

You might also want to skip flashing the BIOS for faster boot times.

Next open point is driver support in unRAID itself, but you should see pretty soon how things go.

Keep us updated please!

Hi

I have been having troubles with my new Asus Pike 2308 on a Asus Z9PA-D8

Jun 14 13:40:41 xeon kernel: mpt2sas0: _base_fault_reset_work : SAS host is non-operational !!!!

Its giving me troubles.

What should I be looking for to flash to IT mode. I have just ordered the Pike 2008.

There are two switches. https://manualscollection.com/?fid=612a388fde452ec7c4db827d48ff042e&read=online

I can get jbod to be recognised in the wrong switch order, but it gives me errors. As soon as I turn it to the correct switching order it doesnt work. So I am looking to flashing if possible.

If there is any adivse that any one can give, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Lee

Interesting thing Dextros

I did some research on that Pike 2308.

From the spec it is a LSI 2308 Chipset.

This means, the equivalent LSI adaptor would be an LSI 9207 HBA.

The task is trying to crossflash the IT firmware of the LSI HBA to the Pike 2308.

I found a post on freenas explaining how to flash a Pike 2008 (although I have some doubts, that

the sequence of the info posted there is correct).

It sounds like the usual procedure that we use to flash the 9240 based cards.

That proves that crossflashing of those Pike cards is possible in principle.

I can support you, but it is highly experimental what you are trying to do!

It is possible that the card gets bricked in the process <-- you have been warned!

Do yo want to proceed, drop me a pm.

I have a LSI 9300-8i on the way. Will this work out of the box or do I need to flash it

That depends on how the card is sold. In any case, it should have IT firmware flashed for unRAID.

You might also want to skip flashing the BIOS for faster boot times.

Next open point is driver support in unRAID itself, but you should see pretty soon how things go.

Keep us updated please!

Got the card. It said IT at the of the FW Version.

With the card in with no drives hook up UNRAID boots but I can't Connect to the web GUI 

What version of unRAID are you running?

Can you log into console to retrieve a syslog?

Or even better call a diagnostic check (on v6):

The 'diagnostics' command from a console/telnet session.  diangnostics file will be placed in the 'logs' folder on the flash drive.

Come back and post it here.

Thanks, Fireball.

Noted!

I have just installed the Pike 2008 and Its doing a preclear on the drive as I type, and it's nearly complete, using the controller.

I am going to plug more devices onto the controller, and see how it acts.

If it is working ok, I will try and get a refund for the other cards, or at least attempt a to return under fault, as they work for a small period, and then fail. But the odds of getting two bad cards must be fairly small.

Thanks

Please share what you did to get it working so far.

And post a diagnostics file.

IIRC there is a similar issue with the Areca controllers in JBOD mode.

It looks like the cards BIOS is interfering in the passthrough.

You can check what settings are available in the cards BIOS.

Make sure the drives are simply passed through.

I have just installed the Pike 2008 and Its doing a preclear on the drive as I type, and it's nearly complete, using the controller.

Did you flash the card or was it working out of the box?

It appears to be working out the box, but to be fair, the other worked out of the box as well!

I have another build to do at the weekend, with exactly the same hardware, so I will just use the 2008 straight away.

Please share what you did to get it working so far.

And post a diagnostics file.

IIRC there is a similar issue with the Areca controllers in JBOD mode.

It looks like the cards BIOS is interfering in the passthrough.

You can check what settings are available in the cards BIOS.

Make sure the drives are simply passed through.

I'll have to look into how to get you the diagnostic file. I've never done it before. 

It started working right when I re-seated the card and plug drives into it.

I think it is passing through right.  Disk cleaner is reading the drives like they should.  I read some where about putting them back in the right order. And do a new config will fix them.  I just wanted to make sure this is right so I don't lose anything. 

I'll have to look into how to get you the diagnostic file. I've never done it before. 

Read here, how to get the diagnostics:

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39257.0

I think it is passing through right.  Disk cleaner is reading the drives like they should.

What is disk cleaner? A plugin?

I read some where about putting them back in the right order. And do a new config will fix them.

I just wanted to make sure this is right so I don't lose anything.

Yes, that is possible.

You need to know exactly which is the parity drive and assign it accordingly.

The order of the data drives can be random.

But it is not normal to have the drives show up like that!

Let's check the diagnostics first!