Unmountable: Unsupported Partition Layout (Solved)

Posedin
Go to solution Solved by Posedin,

I need some advice. So i've spent 2 days trying to replace and rebuild parity. I also realized I did not format the HDD before replacing the parity drive.

After I upgraded and rebuilt party for 2 days. Everything looked good and docker was working as expected. I decided to upgrade 1 disk in my array and now its showing Unmountable.

Btw The HD are brand new and I need not format nor preclear them cos the process to preclear 1 hdd is more than 24h. What should I do from here? I still have the old Parity I removed from the array.

image.thumb.png.a5d61204e34e770560768626f0213942.png

Edited by Posedin
  • Solution
22 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

If the upgrade was done with v6.11.2 you must rebuild again with the current release to correctly partition the disk:

stop array

unassign disk1

start array

post new diags.

Wow! This will take another day or 2 and I wont have access to my server.

18 minutes ago, Posedin said:

Well... It is already too late. The format started since yesterday. I assumed since they are new drives they need to be formatted. 

I will wait for it to complete or can I cancel it at 80% completed? image.thumb.png.87e7d8945178efce3ecd04036b265dac.png

The problem is that it will format ALL drives that show as unmountable and that included disk1, not just the the new drives.   Since a format is treated like any other write operation this will also update parity accordingly.   This means as well as the new drives disk1 has also been formatted to have an empty file system.

What is the state of your backups?

5 minutes ago, itimpi said:

The problem is that it will format ALL drives that show as unmountable and that included disk1, not just the the new drives.   Since a format is treated like any other write operation this will also update parity accordingly.   This means as well as the new drives disk1 has also been formatted to have an empty file system.

What is the state of your backups?

unfortunately, I did not initiate a backup. Is there a way I can access parity files and move them to my cache for now? I don't have a lot of data. 

I had 1 x  2tb and 2 x 1 tb before and I only used let says half of my 2TB capacity.

6 hours ago, Hoopster said:

There are no files on the parity drive(s).  In fact they have no file system.  Parity drives are just a "bucket of bits" with calculated values for the same position on all the data drives.

Thanks for your help. After following the above steps, Disk1 looks okay but going thru parity check. I will try the same for disk3 once the parity is done.

Here is the logs as requested. 

poseidon-diagnostics-20221122-1841.zip

• Posedin changed the title to Unmountable: Unsupported Partition Layout (Solved)