unRAID server having severe DNS issues

Go to solution Solved by autumnwalker,

21 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

To add to this - I kept "host access to custom networks" on and went back to macvlan and all my problems went away. I do not have crashing issues with macvlan (luckily).

Well look at that. Changing 'ipvlan' to 'macvlan' to fixed the issue. I kept all the other settings as is. Now, I am more curious as to why ipvlan had that issue and it didn't occur for the first few minutes after reboot. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
On 3/21/2023 at 7:57 PM, autumnwalker said:

I appear to be having the same symptoms. I'm not getting clock sync errors or anything. I can hit anything on my local LAN using IP or DNS entry (using pfSense DNS resolver), but anything that my local DNS cannot resolve (e.g. google.com) I get "Destination Host Unreachable". 

What's odd is I tried the same ping tests from inside a VM running on Unraid while Unraid is having these issues ... and the VM has no network problems at all. The VM is configured to use the same pfSense DNS resolver.

I wasn't having this issue until after I upgraded to 6.11.5. I was previously on 6.10.3.

My issue is identical to this. 
After a clean reboot, everything is fine for a while, anywhere up to a few days and then all the sudden I cannot resolve hostnames outside my local network. I can get to IP addresses fine, but hostnames are a bust. Containers work just fine through all of this. Nothing has changed in my network, and no other devices are having any DNS issues to speak of. 

On 7/10/2023 at 8:42 AM, xangetzu said:

My issue is identical to this. 
After a clean reboot, everything is fine for a while, anywhere up to a few days and then all the sudden I cannot resolve hostnames outside my local network. I can get to IP addresses fine, but hostnames are a bust. Containers work just fine through all of this. Nothing has changed in my network, and no other devices are having any DNS issues to speak of. 

I'm having the same issues but only with Mellanox MCX311A 10Gb sfp+ cards, or Realtek 2.5Gb ethernet.  My Intel x710 sfp+ card works fine and so do any 1Gb ethernet ports.  I'm not sure how or why DNS requests would stop working outside gateway, but I can consistently duplicate this.

Edited by fwiler
19 hours ago, no1warr1or said:

Any updates on this? 

This thread was created 4 months ago for an older release of Unraid. I'd suggest upgrading to the recently released 6.12.3:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/142116-unraid-os-version-6123-available/

If you continue have issues that aren't covered in the "Known Issues" portion of the release notes then start a new thread and be sure to include your diagnostics

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2023 at 3:58 AM, no1warr1or said:

Any updates on this? I posted in another thread (community apps) about this, but ive been having these issues for a bit now. It works for a few days then poof doesnt want to ping anything. dockers and VMs still work fine. running 6.12.2, but saw this on 6.12.1 and 6.11.5

Wanted to update everyone.. I believe the issue is resolved. Changes since my last post.. Updated to 6.12.3, set my IP as static in the network settings and manually set my DNS to cloudflare.

• 4 months later...