[Plugin] Tailscale

2 hours ago, EDACerton said:

• Update Tailscale to 1.52.0

Hi am currently unable to pull the plugin. Error below, same error on two separate unraid machines. 

plugin: installing: tailscale.plg
Executing hook script: pre_plugin_checks
plugin: downloading: tailscale.plg ... done

plugin: downloading: tailscale_1.52.0_amd64.tgz ... done

plugin: bad file MD5: /boot/config/plugins/tailscale/tailscale_1.52.0_amd64.tgz
Executing hook script: post_plugin_checks

• Like 1

I'm also having the same problem. 

8 hours ago, SteveStonerson said:

Hi am currently unable to pull the plugin. Error below, same error on two separate unraid machines. 

plugin: installing: tailscale.plg
Executing hook script: pre_plugin_checks
plugin: downloading: tailscale.plg ... done

plugin: downloading: tailscale_1.52.0_amd64.tgz ... done

plugin: bad file MD5: /boot/config/plugins/tailscale/tailscale_1.52.0_amd64.tgz
Executing hook script: post_plugin_checks

@EDACerton thanks for the great plugin for Tailscale on our unRaid servers, had issues using the docker plugin version when docker wouldn't start and I like how yours runs as a plugin without needing docker up yet.  Been using your plugin for several months and always worked great.

Unfortunately, been troubleshooting an issue with my unRaid server over the last week or so, where it seemed to boot but not be working at all (no GUI etc).  After some tinkering I found out when the Tailscale plugin was running I could not access the GUI on the LAN IP (Could access it by the tailscale familiar name).  I found this thread and updated to the latest Tailscale plugin and was still having issues even after a reboot.

I disabled the Tailscale plugin and rebooted and the unRaid GUI works fine again over the LAN IP.

I tried to download diagnostics, and attached them here.  If anyone has any guidance I would appreciate it.

I have a feeling that I messed up something somehow with network settings (although I don't think I changed anything recently).

Thanks!

tower-diagnostics-20231101-1337.zip

Hmmm.... I downloaded the release two more times and verified the checksum, everything looks fine. (The plugin downloads the Tailscale executables directly from Tailscale, it then checks the hash to make sure that the download is valid.)

Can someone who is getting that error please open the CLI console and run the following commands:

wget https://pkgs.tailscale.com/stable/tailscale_1.52.0_amd64.tgz
md5sum tailscale_1.52.0_amd64.tgz

The result should look like this:

36ae729bd2834d61068da0091d21abd4  tailscale_1.52.0_amd64.tgz

I'm wondering if there's some CDN issue that's resulting in a different file being served in some regions.

I got the following:

root@Tower:~# wget https://pkgs.tailscale.com/stable/tailscale_1.52.0_amd64.tgz
--2023-11-01 20:55:37-- https://pkgs.tailscale.com/stable/tailscale_1.52.0_amd64.tgz
Resolving pkgs.tailscale.com (pkgs.tailscale.com)... 199.38.181.239, 2607:f740:f::d19
Connecting to pkgs.tailscale.com (pkgs.tailscale.com)|199.38.181.239|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: https://dl.tailscale.com/stable/tailscale_1.52.0_amd64.tgz [following]
--2023-11-01 20:55:37-- https://dl.tailscale.com/stable/tailscale_1.52.0_amd64.tgz
Resolving dl.tailscale.com (dl.tailscale.com)... 109.105.218.17, 2a09:8280:1::a:1a71
Connecting to dl.tailscale.com (dl.tailscale.com)|109.105.218.17|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 25314072 (24M) [application/x-compressed-tar]
Saving to: ‘tailscale_1.52.0_amd64.tgz’
tailscale_1.52.0_amd64.tgz       100%[========================================================>]  24.14M  10.7MB/s    in 2.3s    
2023-11-01 20:55:40 (10.7 MB/s) - ‘tailscale_1.52.0_amd64.tgz’ saved [25314072/25314072]
b4d15d9908737e08e3f95ed5104603ce  tailscale_1.52.0_amd64.tgz

Edited by aerobrain
Found option to input code
  • Like 1
17 minutes ago, aerobrain said:

I got the following:

root@Tower:~# wget https://pkgs.tailscale.com/stable/tailscale_1.52.0_amd64.tgz
--2023-11-01 20:55:37-- https://pkgs.tailscale.com/stable/tailscale_1.52.0_amd64.tgz
Resolving pkgs.tailscale.com (pkgs.tailscale.com)... 199.38.181.239, 2607:f740:f::d19
Connecting to pkgs.tailscale.com (pkgs.tailscale.com)|199.38.181.239|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: https://dl.tailscale.com/stable/tailscale_1.52.0_amd64.tgz [following]
--2023-11-01 20:55:37-- https://dl.tailscale.com/stable/tailscale_1.52.0_amd64.tgz
Resolving dl.tailscale.com (dl.tailscale.com)... 109.105.218.17, 2a09:8280:1::a:1a71
Connecting to dl.tailscale.com (dl.tailscale.com)|109.105.218.17|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 25314072 (24M) [application/x-compressed-tar]
Saving to: ‘tailscale_1.52.0_amd64.tgz’
tailscale_1.52.0_amd64.tgz       100%[========================================================>]  24.14M  10.7MB/s    in 2.3s    
2023-11-01 20:55:40 (10.7 MB/s) - ‘tailscale_1.52.0_amd64.tgz’ saved [25314072/25314072]
b4d15d9908737e08e3f95ed5104603ce  tailscale_1.52.0_amd64.tgz

Thank you, this is very helpful… it confirms what I suspected (that the Tailscale download page is giving different files, causing the hash check to fail).

I’ll get in touch with the Tailscale folks to see how quickly they can get that fixed.

• Like 4

Note: I have rolled the "current" version of the plugin back to 2023.10.29 until Tailscale can get this resolved on their side.

If you have already updated, you do not have to do anything -- the 2023.10.31 is fine to use, the only problem is with the update not running. I am switching to the previous release because I don't want for folks to have to wait for the WebGUI fix that was included in 2023.10.29.

• Like 3

How can I go about setting up the Mullvad VPN exit node on the Unraid server?  I was able to set it up successfully in my other devices, but don't see an option in the plugin interface for this.

Secondly, I want to pass all docker external traffic through this mullvad exit node, including torrent! this way I can ditch deluge-vpn and use another vpn docker app.

On 11/6/2023 at 10:12 PM, pro9c3 said:

How can I go about setting up the Mullvad VPN exit node on the Unraid server?  I was able to set it up successfully in my other devices, but don't see an option in the plugin interface for this.

Secondly, I want to pass all docker external traffic through this mullvad exit node, including torrent! this way I can ditch deluge-vpn and use another vpn docker app.

Did you manage to find a solution? I want to do the exact same thing! 

On 11/8/2023 at 1:57 AM, brockbreacher said:

Hi there,

I was simply curious if funnel works with this?

If so how would I go about running the commands?

Just through the normal unraid console button?

Thank you for your time in advance 

For funnel, you can use the normal console commands via the Unraid console.

• Upvote 1
On 11/8/2023 at 9:47 AM, JakobTech said:

Did you manage to find a solution? I want to do the exact same thing! 

You can probably use

tailscale set --exit-node <node>

From the Unraid console to accomplish this. I don't use Mullvad, so I'm not sure what the name of the exit node would be.

The Tailscale Plugin keeps causing me to completely lose access to the unraid web UI as soon as I start my array, if I remove the plugin then it immediately works again, I can re-add the tailscale plugin and it will work ok for a while (week or 2) then I have the same problem again. I'm on unraid 6.12.3 still which I suppose may be part of the problem, don't think I can get the logs since i've had to uninstall the plugin so I could access the UI so unfortunately I cannot provide those, i'll try to next time if it happens again. I have attached a syslog if that helps at all, at the end you can see a ton of "SIGKILL" errors, and as soon as I remove the tailscale plugin everything goes back to normal.

edit: after going back a page I see that this problem was supposed to be solved with a recent update, but my tailscale plugin was up to date and i'm still having the issue.

syslog-192.168.1.8.log

Edited by ggfools
24 minutes ago, ggfools said:

The Tailscale Plugin keeps causing me to completely lose access to the unraid web UI as soon as I start my array, if I remove the plugin then it immediately works again, I can re-add the tailscale plugin and it will work ok for a while (week or 2) then I have the same problem again. I'm on unraid 6.12.3 still which I suppose may be part of the problem, don't think I can get the logs since i've had to uninstall the plugin so I could access the UI so unfortunately I cannot provide those, i'll try to next time if it happens again. I have attached a syslog if that helps at all, at the end you can see a ton of "SIGKILL" errors, and as soon as I remove the tailscale plugin everything goes back to normal.

syslog-192.168.1.8.log 1.3 MB · 0 downloads

I have also been loosing my GUI this week and use Tailscale, nothing useful in my syslog though

6 hours ago, Hydroponiker said:

i just wanted to inform that current version of the plugin freezes unraid. you can only dirty reboot, not even ssh works. can I just install static binary from tailscale? i really need it to manage my network and the official unraid docker version doesn't offer subnet advertising...:(

That won't really work, for a couple reasons:

• Unraid runs from memory and reinstalls itself on reboot, so you need more than the static binary to make the binary and configuration persist.
  • Effectively, the plugin is just running the static binary with some additions for management + persistence; if something about your current configuration is causing you to lose connectivity to everything, you'd likely just repeat that with the static binary.

The better question would be -- what about your setup is making your install either freeze or lose network connectivity? If you can run diagnostics (preferably from the plugin, but if that doesn't work, just regular Unraid diagnostics), that would give me a starting point.

On 11/9/2023 at 5:28 PM, ggfools said:

edit: after going back a page I see that this problem was supposed to be solved with a recent update, but my tailscale plugin was up to date and i'm still having the issue.

syslog-192.168.1.8.log 1.3 MB · 0 downloads

I suspect that you might have other problems, and that the plugin is either making those more apparent, or is just "the straw that broke the camel's back":

• There are a ton of I/O errors related to either /mnt/cache or /mnt/disk14
  • Lots of internal winbindd IO_TIMEOUT errors
  • Samba panic/crash
  • shfs: share cache full
  • CPU segfaults

If you can run full diagnostics, then that might provide more info, but from the syslog it seems like your server isn't very healthy, tailscale notwithstanding.

8 hours ago, EDACerton said:

I suspect that you might have other problems, and that the plugin is either making those more apparent, or is just "the straw that broke the camel's back":

• There are a ton of I/O errors related to either /mnt/cache or /mnt/disk14
  • Lots of internal winbindd IO_TIMEOUT errors
  • Samba panic/crash
  • shfs: share cache full
  • CPU segfaults

If you can run full diagnostics, then that might provide more info, but from the syslog it seems like your server isn't very healthy, tailscale notwithstanding.

yeah the I/O errors were the mover trying to move some files that got corrupted when shutting down Tdarr in the middle of a transcode that I forgot about, I did finally delete them and nolonger get those errors when mover runs, the other things you mention i'm not sure but I haven't had any noticeable problems. here's a diagnostic if you want to take a look.

edit: oh the "share cache full" is probably actually full, running tdarr 24/7 does fill it up sometimes.

tardis-diagnostics-20231111-2202.zip

Edited by ggfools
On 11/9/2023 at 10:54 PM, EDACerton said:

You can probably use

tailscale set --exit-node <node>

From the Unraid console to accomplish this. I don't use Mullvad, so I'm not sure what the name of the exit node would be.

Thanks, i don't know why I didn't think of that. However I'm not sure how to pass all docker external traffic through this mullvad exit. Please let me know if this is possible! Thanks for a great plugin! :D