[Plugin] Tailscale

1 hour ago, dopeytree said:

latest update causes network problem meaning no traffic gets to the unraid server. Fixed by manually removing tailscale plugin from usb stick and from networkextra.cfg this is on unraid 6.12.3

Best guess -- the latest update fixed a bug that resulted in --accept-routes always being processed to "false".  If you had previously turned that on, it might have taken effect when you updated, and in some network configurations --accept-routes=true doesn't work well.

Edited by EDACerton
  • Like 1
On 7/10/2023 at 11:48 AM, EDACerton said:

That’s a segfault from nginx, so not really a tailscale problem. You’ll want to post Unraid diagnostics on your other thread. 

Uninstalled Tailscale plugin and problem has not reoccurred. Diagnostics captured last time SSH & unraid web management interface went offline even for local network traffic. I have a bonded NIC, maybe that's throwing a wrench into this?

bahamut-diagnostics-20230716-1042.zip

Those diagnostics look like they're from a fresh boot and running the Tailscale docker, so there's not much that those can tell me. I'd have to see diagnostics from when the nginx segfault occurs to have a better idea of what's happening.

One guess based on past experience -- there's a known issue in Unraid related to leaving the WebGUI open on mobile devices (usually Android). That occasionally causes problems after Tailscale is installed, since that's when folks try opening things up on their phones.

Hi having some problems recently accessing my machine via tailscale. I have made a few changes but am not sure what the culprit might be:

1. I previously used an access point to convert my routers wifi to a wired conection into my server, but I have just run a long ethernet directly from my router/modem to the server instead.
  2. I upgraded from unraid 6.11 to 6.12.3

I can connect to the server directly with it's static ip either ssh or gui but using tailscale results in `Connection refused` or "No internet". I usually see something like this:

```

2023/07/20 05:24:06 Accept: TCP{100.72.54.96:49985 > 100.115.73.37:22} 64 tcp ok
2023/07/20 05:24:06 Accept: TCP{100.115.73.37:22 > 100.72.54.96:49985} 40 ok out

```

while watching container logs when I try to connect. I've tried reinstalling, deleting appdata and registering as a new device with tailscale none of which has made a difference. Would appreciate any help!

Edit:

Forgot to mention I can also see the machine as online in the tailscale dashboard

Edited by fadynakhla
additional info
6 hours ago, fadynakhla said:

Hi having some problems recently accessing my machine via tailscale. I have made a few changes but am not sure what the culprit might be:

1. I previously used an access point to convert my routers wifi to a wired conection into my server, but I have just run a long ethernet directly from my router/modem to the server instead.
  2. I upgraded from unraid 6.11 to 6.12.3

I can connect to the server directly with it's static ip either ssh or gui but using tailscale results in `Connection refused` or "No internet". I usually see something like this:

```

2023/07/20 05:24:06 Accept: TCP{100.72.54.96:49985 > 100.115.73.37:22} 64 tcp ok
2023/07/20 05:24:06 Accept: TCP{100.115.73.37:22 > 100.72.54.96:49985} 40 ok out

```

while watching container logs when I try to connect. I've tried reinstalling, deleting appdata and registering as a new device with tailscale none of which has made a difference. Would appreciate any help!

Edit:

Forgot to mention I can also see the machine as online in the tailscale dashboard

This is the support thread for the plugin, you need the support thread for the docker container.

Hello,

How do I add --advertise-routes=192.168.0.0/24 to the tailscale plugin? I did not see this option under settings... However it shows up in the Info tab...

Also perhaps you can help with my quest to access an unraid share from a tailscale network? I can't access any of my unraid shares from a windows PC when I connect to tailscale VPN. I tried using DNS name (unraid) - ping works, access from windows explorer \\unraid\share does not... I tried using tailscale IP - same ressult. The only thing that ACTUALLY WORKS is advertising my local IP to tailscale and then I can easily access all my shares... But ideally I want to use DNS name for this task instead of IP. 

9 minutes ago, Laov said:

Hello,

How do I add --advertise-routes=192.168.0.0/24 to the tailscale plugin? I did not see this option under settings... However it shows up in the Info tab...

Also perhaps you can help with my quest to access an unraid share from a tailscale network? I can't access any of my unraid shares from a windows PC when I connect to tailscale VPN. I tried using DNS name (unraid) - ping works, access from windows explorer \\unraid\share does not... I tried using tailscale IP - same ressult. The only thing that ACTUALLY WORKS is advertising my local IP to tailscale and then I can easily access all my shares... But ideally I want to use DNS name for this task instead of IP. 

1. Just open the Unraid console and run:

tailscale set --advertise-routes=192.168.0.0/24

2. There have been problems with SMB on some of the more recent Unraid builds.... please generate plugin diagnostics (from the Help page in Tailscale settings) and I can take a look at what your server is doing.

12 minutes ago, EDACerton said:

1. Just open the Unraid console and run:

tailscale set --advertise-routes=192.168.0.0/24

2. There have been problems with SMB on some of the more recent Unraid builds.... please generate plugin diagnostics (from the Help page in Tailscale settings) and I can take a look at what your server is doing.

1. Thx. Would be nice to include this in the help section.

2. Done. Damn it would be nice to have a progress bar for this one... I hate staring at a page refreshing symbol and wondering if something is happening...

DataServer-tailscale-diag-20230726-030227.zip

Hi,

Taildrop seems to don't work with unraid 6.12.3 and the last version of the plugin

I have set a Taildrop Location

I found this erreor in the logs :

unraid Taildrop: using /var/lib/tailscale/Taildrop

unraid Taildrop support: symlink "Taildrop" not found

Unraid is not disponible as destination from other tailscale device.

Thanks u for your help and for this plugin

1 hour ago, sebz29a said:

Hi,

Taildrop seems to don't work with unraid 6.12.3 and the last version of the plugin

I have set a Taildrop Location

I found this erreor in the logs :

unraid Taildrop: using /var/lib/tailscale/Taildrop

unraid Taildrop support: symlink "Taildrop" not found

Unraid is not disponible as destination from other tailscale device.

Thanks u for your help and for this plugin

Can you please post diagnostics from the plug-in? (Link to download is on the help page in Tailscale settings)

On 7/18/2023 at 11:28 AM, EDACerton said:

Those diagnostics look like they're from a fresh boot and running the Tailscale docker, so there's not much that those can tell me. I'd have to see diagnostics from when the nginx segfault occurs to have a better idea of what's happening.

One guess based on past experience -- there's a known issue in Unraid related to leaving the WebGUI open on mobile devices (usually Android). That occasionally causes problems after Tailscale is installed, since that's when folks try opening things up on their phones.

Whatever was happening was breaking connectivity. Local console is the only thing that would respond and even that was having major issues. I ran the diag command from the command line while it was in the broken state but I guess it was overwritten when I rebooted. 

Smooth sailing since I migrated back to the Tailscale docker container. I've already had enough downtime over this plugin, just going to have to walk away.

Hi,

I have installed Tailscale plugin, and have it on my iphone and I can see that my unraid server is connected and I can ping it.  I can also go to the advertised Tailscale IP for the server and login and view the unraid console.  However I cannot access my shares, I feel I am doing something dumb but I don't know what it is, is anyone able to tell me?

Thanks

Craig

48 minutes ago, craig_read said:

Hi,

I have installed Tailscale plugin, and have it on my iphone and I can see that my unraid server is connected and I can ping it.  I can also go to the advertised Tailscale IP for the server and login and view the unraid console.  However I cannot access my shares, I feel I am doing something dumb but I don't know what it is, is anyone able to tell me?

Thanks

Craig

Same for me... I guess Tailscale is somehow blocking SMB port on the tailscale IP and domain name. What worked for me is advertising my servers internal IP and using it for shares. 

6 hours ago, Laov said:

Same for me... I guess Tailscale is somehow blocking SMB port on the tailscale IP and domain name. What worked for me is advertising my servers internal IP and using it for shares. 

Ok so how do I go about doing this?  I saw a post previously that mentioned it.. there is a command I use in the CLI to get it to work.. if my server IP internally is 192.168.1.2 what do I need to do?

Sorry for appearing totally green on this.

3 hours ago, craig_read said:

Ok so how do I go about doing this?  I saw a post previously that mentioned it.. there is a command I use in the CLI to get it to work.. if my server IP internally is 192.168.1.2 what do I need to do?

Sorry for appearing totally green on this.

In tailscale console 

tailscale set --advertise-routes=192.168.1.2

Then in plugin settings enable IP forwarding

And finally in tailscale admin console (tailscale web page) accept the advertised subnet.

image.png.0d4ac2f3a955831f5ff950754d1e69bf.png

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Laov said:

In tailscale console 

tailscale set --advertise-routes=192.168.1.2

Then in plugin settings enable IP forwarding

And finally in tailscale admin console (tailscale web page) accept the advertised subnet.

image.png.0d4ac2f3a955831f5ff950754d1e69bf.png

tailscale set --advertise-routes=192.168.1.0/24

Should I use the above, the command in your message didn't work... invalid IP address or CIDR prefix...

Edited by craig_read
20 hours ago, craig_read said:

tailscale set --advertise-routes=192.168.1.0/24

Should I use the above, the command in your message didn't work... invalid IP address or CIDR prefix...

0/24 is meant to advertise the entire subnet (0 - 255 last number IP range). If it is ok then yes. For me it was. As for why it didn't work maybe someone else will answer. Maybe .2/32 is the correct syntax for a single IP. 

Feel free to read this:

https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/subnet-cheat-sheet-24-subnet-mask-30-26-27-29-and-other-ip-address-cidr-network-references/

I was to lazy.