Different Docker image formats

Hello:)
So in Docker settings you can setup btrfs-image, xfs-image or just folder.
When and why would you use one over the other?
Up to now I just been using btrfs-image on an btrfs cache, but thinking of manybe trying out an zfs-cache and was then thinking of this.

btrfs-image vs xfs-image.  Dealer's choice.  No fundamental difference between the two

Image vs folder.  An image is say 20 Gig and always 20 Gig.  A folder is going to be say 1Gig, but as you install stuff will grow accordingly and if you uninstall will shrink accordingly.

IMO, the image is the antiquated method of handling docker on Unraid.  The real reason for the image being in existence is that in the 6.0 beta series (very early betas), the cache drive HAD to be formatted BTRFS if you wanted to run docker (and a folder was used).  Since many people didn't want to run btrfs on the cache drive, the image solution happened.

Nowadays, since the docker system supports the folder on btrfs, xfs, and zfs I don't see the point anymore in the image method anymore.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Folder on ZFS has been causing issues for people on the 6.12 RCs.

So that may be my problem then 😮
I changed my cache to zfs today just because I want to try it, and while dockers work, custom networks wont, its like they dont have a route. If I set an container to use default bridge network, it works.

The image I still have works just fine :)

14 minutes ago, isvein said:

I changed my cache to zfs today just because I want to try it, and while dockers work, custom networks wont, its like they dont have a route.

...using 6.12rc2 with ZFS on Cache and Docker Folder...all Dockers, as well as custom networks (I only use these) do work as expected.

However, I deleted my old BTRFS based Docker folder, instead of moving it off and back on to the Cache, then recreated all Dockers anew.

3 minutes ago, Ford Prefect said:

...using 6.12rc2 with ZFS on Cache and Docker Folder...all Dockers, as well as custom networks (I only use these) do work as expected.

However, I deleted my old BTRFS based Docker folder, instead of moving it off and back on to the Cache, then recreated all Dockers anew.

I tried that too, starting with a clean docker folder, but same happens with custom networks sadly :(
Difference is that I run 6.12rc5, so maybe its a bug just there.
Putted it in the RC5 thread too.