utterly low file copy speed, what is wrong?

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Getting worse 😞

grafik.png.c4af1ff3d55445d3b17f1cfad02da778.png

Even writing to the cache is blocked 😞

The peak in the curve is 1G/s the usual speed I can fill up the cache. But as you can see, soon after it drops to ridiculous "speed" and stays there.

Can it have something to do with the fill level of the drive? This one is 97% full.

Maybe I should learn (and try) to balance it somehow? (the next drive with this share is currently only at 45% full)

3 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Most likely.

So I guess I need "unbalance" to move over some Gigs to free up space? Would 75% usage sound good? (and How do I do that, never used unbalance before).

I've even got a totally free disk currently (leftover from the copy orgy)

Enough!

Today was "backup day" for all clients, lots (and much) of writes. UNRAID became a snail (almost a dead one).

A usual backup took 4-8 times longer than usual (same unraid, just with xfs).

Luckily I still had a spare drive, already formatted with zfs. I killed it again and reformatted with xfs and now am on the "copy back" tour.

And see: instead of 20MB/s it gives me

grafik.thumb.png.a27164de22f4c309f54c7cf5057b0661.png

(It will slowdown later on, but ~170 will be the lower limit I think)

There have been plenty of reports that writing to ZFS format drives in the main array can be very slow.   I have a suspicion that this may be inherent to ZFS and the way it chooses which sector to write to next causing excessive head movement on the parity drive but I am not sure there has been any structured testing to prove this. 

It would be nice to know for certain as that would mean we would then advise against using ZFS in the main Unraid array, and instead use either ZFS as the most efficient or BTRFS for those who want bit rot detection.  ZFS would still have a place in pools where you want maximum performance.

1 minute ago, itimpi said:

ZFS would still have a place in pools where you want maximum performance.

I've tested ZFS as "cache" before, also a total flop. Can't remember the details, but it was also frustrating, so I went back again to xfs.

4 minutes ago, itimpi said:

next causing excessive head movement on the parity drive

Unlikely I think, it would need the same movements for the data drive too and this is within the scope of ZFS. BUT, maybe the combination of several single ZFS installations within a single array will confuse the parity? Each of them maybe planned, but they are surely not coordinated (because ZFS has no idea of the parity drive) and therefor produce chaos moves.

I will check this assumption in a few days after I have freed all but one ZFS disks from the array. If I am right, the last one will work "normally".

29 minutes ago, MAM59 said:

Enough!

Today was "backup day" for all clients, lots (and much) of writes. UNRAID became a snail (almost a dead one).

A usual backup took 4-8 times longer than usual (same unraid, just with xfs).

Luckily I still had a spare drive, already formatted with zfs. I killed it again and reformatted with xfs and now am on the "copy back" tour.

And see: instead of 20MB/s it gives me

grafik.thumb.png.a27164de22f4c309f54c7cf5057b0661.png

(It will slowdown later on, but ~170 will be the lower limit I think)

Same thing has happened in my testing. I've turned most of my disks back to XFS. Lesson learnt, don't switch without testing thoroughly first :D

My 8TB copy finished in 12 hours and the data rate slowed to 150MB/s at the end, but like yours it stays at 200+ MB/s for a long while.

When I do the ZFS copy I notice it will write at full speed for a short while, and then tank which seems to indicate some buffer has filled up or something happens to slow it down significantly.

Additional Info: even with only one zfs drive in the array, copying is still at crawl speed. So there is no interfering between drives, there is just a serious bug within zfs/UNRAID that causes the slowdowns.

Will take me another 3 days until I finally get rid of zfs again completely...

18 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

that is expected, and

I'm usually hopelessly optimistic :-)))

I am really wondering why this fatal flaw has not been discovered throughout beta phase. It is a such essential thing...

BTW: I'm not quite sure how, but I am missing a lot of files that I have added last week (new on zfs drives) 😞

Seems that mover has moved them to Never-Never land, although some of the targets did not reside on zfs drive at all.

But then, it could also have been my own fault, dunno what happened, so I cannot blame anybody (besides myself?).

So far I managed to find many of them and re-upped (still there now). But I dont know how many of them there were and at which location they should have been..

Edited by MAM59
1 hour ago, MAM59 said:

I am really wondering why this fatal flaw has not been discovered throughout beta phase

It was discovered, though it doesn't affect all hardware in the same way and the the fix might not be a simple one, I think it's related to the Unraid driver.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2023 at 4:25 AM, JorgeB said:

It was discovered, though it doesn't affect all hardware in the same way and the the fix might not be a simple one, I think it's related to the Unraid driver.

same boat - just rolled back to XFS and speed normal now.  

• 4 months later...