[SUPPORT] automatic-ripping-machine/automatic-ripping-machine

[Just a template for Automatic Ripping Machine (ARM)]

Overview

Insert an optical disc (Blu-ray, DVD, CD) and checks to see if it's audio, video (Movie or TV), or data, then rips it.

See: https://b3n.org/automatic-ripping-machine

use lsscsi -g on root of unraid to get info for --device for cd/dvd/bluray drive

for handbrake presets https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/technical/official-presets.html

Template: https://github.com/W3LFARe/unraid_templates/blob/main/automatic-ripping-machine/automatic-ripping-machine.xml

Source container: https://github.com/automatic-ripping-machine/automatic-ripping-machine

Registry: https://github.com/automatic-ripping-machine/automatic-ripping-machine

Discord https://discord.gg/rX5Jjv7TGe

Edited by welfare

Managed to get this working, by enabling Privileged mode, otherwise the DVD wasn't read. One issue I have is the disk keeps getting ejected if I try and do a second rip. So I can do one rip successfully, so tried to start a 2nd one while the first was running through handbrake, the drive kept ejecting, once the first one finished, I restarted the docker container, then I could put the disk in and it stays in the drive, not sure if thats something with my set up or a bug of some kind? I'm using a USB Bluray drive.

@deano_southafrican

Your spot on regarding the web UI port - no idea how that's going to be fixed as the port is stored inside the arm.yaml file.  However, as a fix you can edit the docker instance for ARM, then enable Advanced view (top right) and there will be a WebUI parameter - it defaults to http://[IP]:[PORT:8088]/ but if you change that port number to the one you want the WebUI link will then work correctly.  Apologies if you already knew this.

@welfare I've just run into a fairly major issue, there was an update to the container - so I updated...and ALL of my settings and stats were were nuked.  Even the password was reset back to the default - considering I had a customised abcde.conf this was a real PITA (not the end of the world).

I have also noticed that the config is not respected, for example my abcde.conf path (in Ripper Settings) is set to: /home/arm/config/abcde.conf - but when I use the abcde Config tab and hit save I see this in the log: DEBUG ARM: settings.save_abcde routes.save_abcde: Saving new abcde.conf: /etc/arm/config/abcde.conf.  The file in /etc/arm/config is also still used when an Audio CD is ripped.

I've had a look at the GitHub source, but I'm not overly familiar with Python, and have not been able to find the code the makes reference to said config file - if I did I would try to fix it myself and then do a PR.  Though I'm not giving up on trying to fix this myself.

On 7/19/2023 at 12:01 PM, deano_southafrican said:

Looks great! Giving it a test now. Small fix needed. When the WebUI port is changed, the WebUI button from the docker page still directs you to http://<IP>:8088 so in my case to qBittorrent. Have to manually navigate to http://<IP>:<port>.

Mine is set up the reverse my qBIT is set to port 8080 so i changed this one to 8088. 

Edited by welfare
On 7/21/2023 at 12:26 AM, Ayster said:

Managed to get this working, by enabling Privileged mode, otherwise the DVD wasn't read. One issue I have is the disk keeps getting ejected if I try and do a second rip. So I can do one rip successfully, so tried to start a 2nd one while the first was running through handbrake, the drive kept ejecting, once the first one finished, I restarted the docker container, then I could put the disk in and it stays in the drive, not sure if thats something with my set up or a bug of some kind? I'm using a USB Bluray drive.

i seem to missed that in the docker file for the template that enabling Privileged mode was set to on. Maybe that's why so many issues not sure yet. I was able to rip DVDs fine after opening the drive a bunch and and going to ARM settings and scanning for drives. This is my first template so i was just excited it was working. I was able to rip one DVD and when it went to handbrake was able to do another.

42 minutes ago, audiocycle said:

I can confirm I had to enable privileged mode to get it to work as well.

Thanks for setting up this docker image for unraid! I had looked into running a Ubuntu instance solely for ARM but I'm not familiar enough with Linux to make that a quick project.

Was hoping it was on the CA store but it wasnt so I figured I could pass the USB DVD drive into the container and it would work.

Edited by welfare
4 hours ago, stayupthetree said:

Music access doesn't work out of the box due to the container dir being set to /home/arm/Music in the template. In abcde.conf it outputs music to /home/arm/music. One of the two will need to be changed for it to work straight away.

I haven't tried CDs yet. Set it up mostly for Blurays  from the docker file it shows -v "<path_to_music_folder>:/home/arm/Music" so it must have been a typo in the officlal docker repo.

5 hours ago, iJacks said:

@deano_southafrican

Your spot on regarding the web UI port - no idea how that's going to be fixed as the port is stored inside the arm.yaml file.  However, as a fix you can edit the docker instance for ARM, then enable Advanced view (top right) and there will be a WebUI parameter - it defaults to http://[IP]:[PORT:8088]/ but if you change that port number to the one you want the WebUI link will then work correctly.  Apologies if you already knew this.

@welfare I've just run into a fairly major issue, there was an update to the container - so I updated...and ALL of my settings and stats were were nuked.  Even the password was reset back to the default - considering I had a customised abcde.conf this was a real PITA (not the end of the world).

I have also noticed that the config is not respected, for example my abcde.conf path (in Ripper Settings) is set to: /home/arm/config/abcde.conf - but when I use the abcde Config tab and hit save I see this in the log: DEBUG ARM: settings.save_abcde routes.save_abcde: Saving new abcde.conf: /etc/arm/config/abcde.conf.  The file in /etc/arm/config is also still used when an Audio CD is ripped.

I've had a look at the GitHub source, but I'm not overly familiar with Python, and have not been able to find the code the makes reference to said config file - if I did I would try to fix it myself and then do a PR.  Though I'm not giving up on trying to fix this myself.

Not sure if this will help but in the ARM settings then Ripper there is a section it says ABCDE_CONFIG_FILE:    I wonder if settting that to /home/arm/config/abcde.conf it would work.

@audiocycle I think most of the issues are from me not setting it to privileged and also I forgot to set the home directory -v "<path_to_arm_user_home_folder>:/home/arm" so maybe I shouldn't make templates at 4am lol

also dont have any CDs on hand so i have to go borrow one and ill test that and should be able to update that template

Edited by welfare
1 hour ago, welfare said:

Not sure if this will help but in the ARM settings then Ripper there is a section it says ABCDE_CONFIG_FILE:    I wonder if settting that to /home/arm/config/abcde.conf it would work.

Sadly, just setting that didn't work - but I have been mucking about and have made some significant progress.

Firstly I think you should remove "Container Path 1", there is no reason to expose the /etc/ARM/config folder - unless we want to edit arm.yaml or apprise.yaml directly.  This folder also contains the abcde.conf, but you will never see it as it's owned exclusively by root (doesn't appear in the share, but it is there).

Secondly a new Container Path should be added pointing to "/home/arm/config" - this is where a custom abcde.conf file should sit - BUT - there is an issue on the ARM GitHub around this not working, something to do with simlink.  My Linux knowledge starts to get sketchy at this point, but when I edit the template and add a new container path for "/home/arm/config" pointed to my share, add a custom personal_abcde.config, and then modify the ripper setting for the ABCDE_CONFIG_FILE variable to "/home/arm/config/personal_abcde.config" it works like a champ!  Well, sort of, from my Windows box the file permissions were not quite right so I had to drop into the console and chmod so it was also owned by root and had execute permissions.

One thing I was not able to resolve was the Music => music folder.  I edited the "Container Path 4" of the docker template to point to /home/arm/music - and this seemed to work at first.  But, as soon as I tried to rip a CD it exploded.  Something was still creating a "Music" folder - and the log was not happy claiming it could not create a folder in "music".  No idea what is going on there!  For now I've set this back to "/home/arm/Music" and updated my personal_abcde.conf to the correct folder.

Hope the above gives you some ideas.

I've also already ripped DVD's and BluRay's, works perfectly - not using Handbrake as my Tdarr is already set to transcode my video files - but having ARM on Unraid is saving a ton of time!

And I think I can speak for everyone when I say I seriously appreciate you creating this template!

29 minutes ago, iJacks said:

Sadly, just setting that didn't work - but I have been mucking about and have made some significant progress.

Firstly I think you should remove "Container Path 1", there is no reason to expose the /etc/ARM/config folder - unless we want to edit arm.yaml or apprise.yaml directly.  This folder also contains the abcde.conf, but you will never see it as it's owned exclusively by root (doesn't appear in the share, but it is there).

Secondly a new Container Path should be added pointing to "/home/arm/config" - this is where a custom abcde.conf file should sit - BUT - there is an issue on the ARM GitHub around this not working, something to do with simlink.  My Linux knowledge starts to get sketchy at this point, but when I edit the template and add a new container path for "/home/arm/config" pointed to my share, add a custom personal_abcde.config, and then modify the ripper setting for the ABCDE_CONFIG_FILE variable to "/home/arm/config/personal_abcde.config" it works like a champ!  Well, sort of, from my Windows box the file permissions were not quite right so I had to drop into the console and chmod so it was also owned by root and had execute permissions.

One thing I was not able to resolve was the Music => music folder.  I edited the "Container Path 4" of the docker template to point to /home/arm/music - and this seemed to work at first.  But, as soon as I tried to rip a CD it exploded.  Something was still creating a "Music" folder - and the log was not happy claiming it could not create a folder in "music".  No idea what is going on there!  For now I've set this back to "/home/arm/Music" and updated my personal_abcde.conf to the correct folder.

Hope the above gives you some ideas.

I've also already ripped DVD's and BluRay's, works perfectly - not using Handbrake as my Tdarr is already set to transcode my video files - but having ARM on Unraid is saving a ton of time!

And I think I can speak for everyone when I say I seriously appreciate you creating this template!

so it seems this is how they want it to run to always reset settings and also to make a custom one and point it to that one like you did. Also adding the discord link in the OP above.

1337-server — 02/21/2023 5:23 PM

Your are using docker right ? Did you restart the docker ?

[5:24 PM]

You just made me realise that the settings.conf wipes at every restart (edited)

[5:26 PM]

scripts/docker/runit/arm_user_files_setup.sh echo "app_Key = \"${MAKEMKV_APP_KEY}\"" > "${ARM_HOME}/.MakeMKV/settings.conf" When it should be echo "app_Key = \"${MAKEMKV_APP_KEY}\"" >> "${ARM_HOME}/.MakeMKV/settings.conf" If we want to preserve anything else in there (edited)

wolfy — 02/21/2023 5:27 PM

Nope

@1337-server

scripts/docker/runit/arm_user_files_setup.sh  echo "app_Key = \"${MAKEMKV_APP_KEY}\"" > "${ARM_HOME}/.MakeMKV/settings.conf" When it should be  echo "app_Key = \"${MAKEMKV_APP_KEY}\"" >> "${ARM_HOME}/.MakeMKV/settings.conf" If we want to preserve anything else in there (edited)

wolfy — 02/21/2023 5:27 PM

This is expected behavior. I mentioned in the PR that this would be the case

Edited by welfare
48 minutes ago, iJacks said:

I made sure it was all lowercase everywhere and have not had an issue with that part.

Has anybody here had errors when trying to do multiple concurrent scans? I'm facing the same "database locked" error mentioned previously on the Github (#500, #880) after trying to use both of my drives at the same time.

edit: Is there any way to make the container use the latest build (2.6.60) that was published yesterday?

Edited by audiocycle

@iJacks I tried ripping a cd and noticed the exploding part lol. It seems to create another folder "Music" even though I set "ARM/Music" to be "ARM/music" still makes a whole new folder calld "abcde.a10bac0c" for me so im lost on the cd ripping for now. It shows these directories at the bottom of this page https://github.com/automatic-ripping-machine/automatic-ripping-machine/wiki/Docker-Troubleshooting your able to change them and not affect ARM

edit: So seems like "abcde.a10bac0c" is just a folder for "data-musicbrainz". The CD ripped to "ARM/music"

Edited by welfare
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, this may be a dumb question.. How do I set the --device setting? I cannot find the setting in the GUI and it is not presented in the Docker settings during setup. :/

##EDIT## I'm indeed dumb. Setting is available in "Advanced View" in the Docker settings. 

Edited by Boergen
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm running Automatic Ripping Machine as a Docker Container in Unraid. I think I've got everything setup correctly, but it doesn't detect a CD insertion. 
I can login into a command line session in the Docker image and run abcde manually and it rips the disc to the proper location, so the Docker image has access to the CD/DVD drive and the shares are mounted. 

Is there a way to diagnose this? I'm not seeing anything in the logs to guide me (although that may be an indication of something being off). 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

This container stopped working for me. Without changing anything (besides doing the Docker updates), the container stops after a few seconds with the following log:

*** Running /etc/my_init.d/10_syslog-ng.init...
Oct  9 21:16:46 ce6d4dcd662e syslog-ng[19]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.25.1'
*** Running /etc/my_init.d/arm_user_files_setup.sh...
cp: not writing through dangling symlink '/etc/arm/config/abcde.conf'
*** /etc/my_init.d/arm_user_files_setup.sh failed with status 1

*** Killing all processes...
Updating arm user id from 1000 to 99...
Updating arm group id from 1000 to 100...
Adding arm user to 'render' group
Oct  9 21:16:48 ce6d4dcd662e syslog-ng[19]: syslog-ng shutting down; version='3.25.1'

** Press ANY KEY to close this window ** 

Has anyone else encountered this and/or can provide a possible solution?

Thanks,

Boergen