APCUPSD 3.14.10 Plugin for unRAID 5b11+

Does anybody know if the Kill UPS function works in a specific way? it seems to work but it kills it quite some time after my server shuts off.

Thanks

My UPS shuts down 40 seconds after the machine turns off.  I think that the problem is that the machine still has to be running in order to issue the UPS kill command and, from that point, the UPS has to allow sufficient time for even the slowest machine to complete its shutdown sequence.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having issues with getting this running.

My setup is as follows:

Unraid connected to UPS via USB (master)

iMac connected to UPS via ethernet (slave)

UPS has both USB and ethernet plugged in (using a SmartSlot 9617 for ethernet connection)

unRAID Config (Master, plugged into UPS via USB cable, ethernet cable also configured)

UPSCABLE: USB

UPSTYPE: USB

Device: (empty)

Battery level: 40

Minutes: 5

Timeout: 0

iMac Config (Slave, uses ethernet)

UPSCABLE: ether

UPSTYPE: net

Device: 192.168.1.80:3551

Battery level: 50

Minutes: 10

Timeout: 0

UPSCLASS: standalone

UPSMODE: disable

POLLTIME: 0

However Unraid constantly says lost communication.

Checked all connections and cable and all ok. Have tried shutting down everything including UPS then booting it all back up however still has same message.

Running Apcupsd-3.14.12-i486-7_nr-aw.plg

Anyone got any ideas?

Screen_Shot_2014-12-30_at_16_55_20.JPG.129eca4af5d22404e9561cb2e6ac6cab.JPG

I'm no expert, but you do not need an ethernet connection to the UPS.  In a master-slave setup the slave gets the status over the LAN from the master (which is your unRAID box).  So they must both be on the LAN but the UPS only needs the USB or serial connection to the unRAID box.  It might be that the use of the ethernet connection in the UPS is preventing its USB from working.  The IP address for the slave setting must be the address of the unRAID box, obviously.

Having issues with getting this running.

My setup is as follows:

Unraid connected to UPS via USB (master)

iMac connected to UPS via ethernet (slave)

UPS has both USB and ethernet plugged in (using a SmartSlot 9617 for ethernet connection)

You are really going to have to read your manual on this configuration and find if this configuration is really going to work.  Usually only one computer is tied to the UPS and it controls the UPS.  Any slave devices are then controlled by that computer, running the software that is provided by the UPS manufacturer.  This type of setup can be difficult to setup.  Most people prefer just to use two UPSs...  (The cost of two small UPSs is not that much greater the cost of larger capacity UPS that can really handle two computers.)

Thank you for the replies.

I have tried removing the ethernet connection from the UPS and then restarted everything but still saying lost communication.

The frustrating thing is that is use to work and then suddenly stopped working with nothing changed (no software updates, no hardware changes)!

I believe that this config will work due to using the NIS available in ACPUPSD. My Unraid provides the UPS details that my iMac will then read.

Thank you for the replies.

I have tried removing the ethernet connection from the UPS and then restarted everything but still saying lost communication.

OK, I am a bit confused by what you wrote.  First thing, I assume that the screen shot (in your post #432 in this thread) is still valid for this sentence quoted above for the condition where you have only the USB cable between the UPS and your server connected.

If that is true, then what is being display indicates that there is no communication between the UPS and your server.  (The comment about NIS and the LAN connection to your iMac is simply confusing the issue.)  What you have is a hardware failure-- a bad USB cable, Bad USB port in the server, or a failed USB controller in the UPS.  You have to eliminate each possibility one-at-a-time.  (I am also assuming that you are still using that UPS that worked sometime in the past.  It is important to realize That the ACPUSPD software was written by APC to work with their UPS's.  It does work with some UPS's from other vendors but only on a case-by-case basis!)

It is important to realize That the ACPUSPD software was written by APC to work with their UPS's.  It does work with some UPS's from other vendors but only on a case-by-case basis!)

This is not actually true.  APC do not provide software support for *nix systems.  The APCUPSD package is maintained by individuals, distributed under the GNU public license ands hosted on SourceForge.  Having said that - yes, it does implement the APC protocols, which are used bu some other UPS manufacturers, notably CyberPower.

It is important to realize That the ACPUSPD software was written by APC to work with their UPS's.  It does work with some UPS's from other vendors but only on a case-by-case basis!)

This is not actually true.  APC do not provide software support for *nix systems.  The APCUPSD package is maintained by individuals, distributed under the GNU public license ands hosted on SourceForge.  Having said that - yes, it does implement the APC protocols, which are used bu some other UPS manufacturers, notably CyberPower.

Thank you.  I stand corrected!

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Would someone please give a really fast rundown on how this works? - USB plug into my unraid, then what happens? Does the UPS need to be network connected?

A link to the most suggested APC UPS, I just see posts that "most should work"

Will apcupsd work for my below scenario?

I have my unraid server sitting next to my desktop computer in my office and would like to safely shut both of these computers down at the same time as soon as power goes out for more than 30 seconds to a minute. The uptime of my server is of little issue, I just want safe shutdowns on both computers.

Thank you very much

I have my unraid server sitting next to my desktop computer in my office and would like to safely shut both of these computers down at the same time as soon as power goes out for more than 30 seconds to a minute. The uptime of my server is of little issue, I just want safe shutdowns on both computers.

Search the forum for "apcupsd slave" and you should find plenty of information. See search tips in my sig.

Lots of detail here... http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=47630.msg463837#msg463837

See also subsequent posts.

One machine is master (the unRAID machine) connecting typically via USB to the UPS.  Any other machine to be run from the UPS and shutdown when power fails is set up as a slave and must be connected to the same network as the master. Networking hardware (router / switches) must also be powered from the UPS for this to work.