Unraid crashes randomly whenever

Go to solution Solved by Draven,

Good day all. Looking for some help please. I have noticed that recently, my Unraid becomes unresponsive. The GUI does not load. 25% of the time I can access the server via SSH and a reboot commend fixes it. However, 75% of the time, like it just happened now, nothing work, not even SSH, so I have to power cycle it myself by holding down the power button. 

Can someone please tell me if you can see why this keeps happening? I have uploaded the diagnostics see if anyone can see something in there. 

haberworld-diagnostics-20240111-1534.zip

4 hours ago, Draven said:

Last time my server became unresponsive, it was my RAM, did you check your server RAM with memtest (or any other memory tool)?

Honestly, I have not. I am not sure how to get that done, but I will Google it for sure. THanks for the advice.

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2024 at 5:18 AM, JorgeB said:

Enable the syslog server and post that after a crash.

HI HI. Its been a while, just wanted to capture as much as I could. From the time I figured out how to get the logs to actually populate, I have had like 3 crashes. I consider a crash when I cant access the GUI or when I cant access a docker instance. Let me know if you see anything. I will keep it going as I just keep having issues over and over :( that I never had before the last major update. It could always be user error, I am a noob, I know, but its just insane how I never had issues before the last major update. Yes, I have added more HDD, more DATA, and more dockers, that might have a lot to do with it, but I honestly have no clue :(

syslog-192.168.1.10.log

9 minutes ago, trurl said:

Did you ever get memtest done?

I did NOT. I don't think I know how. However, I can always Google, and after a quick Google, I would assume I need to load a separate SSD with windows installed on it to run a program like MemTest86?

1 hour ago, NotHere said:

load a separate SSD with windows installed on it to run a program like MemTest86?

You can't do memtest with anything else booted, so no, Windows or any other OS won't do for this.

Go to memtest86.com and make another flash drive to boot it from.

On 2/23/2024 at 7:04 PM, trurl said:

You can't do memtest with anything else booted, so no, Windows or any other OS won't do for this.

Go to memtest86.com and make another flash drive to boot it from.

I was not able to get memtest running from  USB. I downloaded it, used their flashing program and followed the instructions. However, it did not work, nothing would happen when I tried to boot from the USB. 

However, Unraid has memtest built in, so I used that. 

I assume my memory is dead? I was told to reseat the sticks and try again. I am going to do that.

This is what I got at almost 50% done. 

IMG_6273.jpg

The moment you get even a single error in memtest you have a RAM problem ☹️

Unfortunately the opposite is not always true - sometimes memtest shows no error but you can still get RAM errors when the system is under heavy load.   That is one of the reasons we often suggest to try with less Ram sticks installed

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/29/2024 at 6:03 PM, itimpi said:

The moment you get even a single error in memtest you have a RAM problem ☹️

Unfortunately the opposite is not always true - sometimes memtest shows no error but you can still get RAM errors when the system is under heavy load.   That is one of the reasons we often suggest to try with less Ram sticks installed

So now that I know I have a bad stick, I tested each of the 4 sticks alone, and found the bad seed. I can change that and I should not have any more weekly crashes?