Announcing New Unraid OS License Keys

5 hours ago, Hastur said:

I ask one more time but in few less words:
does LT plan to increase pricing of upgrade licence key in near future for legacy users?

We are gathering common FAQs around updates, privacy, this, and more, and will release those all together.

12 minutes ago, tech3475 said:

Yeah I'd like to know this as well since I might buy a basic key to have for potential future use, I don't want to buy it and then find it costs $200 to upgrade to pro.

8 minutes ago, Veah said:

Seems clear to me the answer is either:

A) 'I don't know.'

B) ' I know, but you will not like my answer so I will not answer.'

You should know this from a bit of thinking.  It will cost at least as much as the current upgrade cost to PRO from what level of license you have and will be less than the new cost of the new PRO/Lifetime. 

You will know this as soon as the formal announcement is made.  Whether you will have a window of opportunity to be able to make such a purchase will be your real problem.

My SWAG (Stupid Wild A$$ Guess) would be that the new PRO/Lifetime purchase cost is a bit less than the total cost of a five year upgrade option.  (This based on the fact that most of the people commenting in this thread have had their licenses less than five years...)

I bought an extra pro licence that I activated on a test Unraid VM, but I also bought an extra basic license. Do I have to use this "basic" activation code within a certain time frame, or will it stay valid "forever" ?

I sincerely apologize to @limetech for not joining the new "periodic payment" model, but I understand that the pre-announcement was also made to give the current users the opportunity to stack up a couple of extra licenses if they want to.

Edited by Opawesome
  • Upvote 1

In the future, will the grandfathered and subscription versions of UnRaid be identical, encompassing not only patches and updates but also capabilities and development? There are no plans to establish two separate tiers for UnRaid, correct? I inquire because I previously experienced a situation with an automation software, Indigo, which transitioned from a license model to a subscription model. Following this transition, the new app version was excluded from the grandfathered option, leading to the creation of two tiers where the grandfathered tier ceased to receive further developments or enhancements.

5 minutes ago, SpencerJ said:

We are gathering common FAQs around updates, privacy, this, and more, and will release those all together.

OK, I have a strange feeling that I know the answer. I'm asap upgrading my two licenses to the PRO version because I feel like I'll go bankrupt after the "announcements".

"Buy Once, Use for Life.

No subscription. No hidden fees."

*set David Bowie - Changes.mp3 as official soundtrack of the thread*

7 minutes ago, _0m0t3ur said:

i had asked specifically about pro licences but suspect it would apply to any current license.

Yes I saw a couple of questions regarding the activation codes. But none of the answers stated clearly whether their validity would be kept "indefinitely", or whether "only for a certain time frame".

Edited by Opawesome
3 minutes ago, DivideBy0 said:

In the future, will the grandfathered and subscription versions of UnRaid be identical, encompassing not only patches and updates but also capabilities and development? There are no plans to establish two separate tiers for UnRaid, correct? I inquire because I previously experienced a situation with an automation software, Indigo, which transitioned from a license model to a subscription model. Following this transition, the new app version was excluded from the grandfathered option, leading to the creation of two tiers where the grandfathered tier ceased to receive further developments or enhancements.

I saw that from limetech:

On 2/20/2024 at 6:14 PM, limetech said:

It's any publicly published version of Unraid OS, including "major" version updates, eg, from v6 to v7.  We're also not going to play any games like coming up with "NewUnraid OS" where all of a sudden your key won't work or we start charging an extra fee to keep using.

41 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

You should know this from a bit of thinking.  It will cost at least as much as the current upgrade cost to PRO from what level of license you have and will be less than the new cost of the new PRO/Lifetime. 

You will know this as soon as the formal announcement is made.  Whether you will have a window of opportunity to be able to make such a purchase will be your real problem.

My SWAG (Stupid Wild A$$ Guess) would be that the new PRO/Lifetime purchase cost is a bit less than the total cost of a five year upgrade option.  (This based on the fact that most of the people commenting in this thread have had their licenses less than five years...)

My problem is that I don't  know if I'll ever need a third license, if someone had said definitively the upgrade costs are the same then buying a basic license is a no brainer for me to have spare, but at $130 for something I may never use makes me hesitant.

38 minutes ago, tech3475 said:

My problem is that I don't  know if I'll ever need a third license, if someone had said definitively the upgrade costs are the same then buying a basic license is a no brainer for me to have spare, but at $130 for something I may never use makes me hesitant.

Thats the wrong math. Even if upgrade costs are higher, you still get the lifetime lockin now.  So its $60 for something you may never use. And if you do use it, in the worst case scenario the price to upgrade to takes your total price to the new lifetime price(unless someone is really dumb/malicious). 

I did an xtra basic license buy. and honestly im not likely to use more than 6 devices on a second box, so thats probably my total investment. But even if I did need to go big, I doubt its worse off, and high likelyhood its better off. 

5 minutes ago, Terebi said:

Thats the wrong math. Even if upgrade costs are higher, you still get the lifetime lockin now.  So its $60 for something you may never use. And if you do use it, in the worst case scenario the price to upgrade to takes your total price to the new lifetime price(unless someone is really dumb/malicious). 

I did an xtra basic license buy. and honestly im not likely to use more than 6 devices on a second box, so thats probably my total investment. But even if I did need to go big, I doubt its worse off, and high likelyhood its better off. 

I still consider it a gamble either way, if the new Pro license is significantly higher then the savings from upgrading the basic license become minimal.

That said, is it still relatively simple to swap licenses around by just swapping the USB sticks? Because that's one potential way around it (my backup server has a pro license from a sale, but only has 7 drives attached, so I could upgrade the basic to plus). 

29 minutes ago, tech3475 said:

That said, is it still relatively simple to swap licenses around by just swapping the USB sticks? Because that's one potential way around it (my backup server has a pro license from a sale, but only has 7 drives attached, so I could upgrade the basic to plus). 

Nothing I've read indicates that won't work anymore. lic is still bound to the key, and you can attach whatever configs you want to it. 

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, tech3475 said:

Today's Plus license could be a good option for a lot of folks who want in on the Lifetime license at a minimum license cost and risk.  Twelve disks in an array.  Think of a server with two 20TB parity drives, a single ssd cache disk and nine data drives.  You could easily have a server with a 180TB of storage space!   That would be a really great backup server.  (That is enough room for about 7200 Blu-Ray movies. and I can't think of why most people would need 520TB of storage that a PRO license would provide...) 

Edited by Frank1940
18 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Today's Plus license could be a good option for a lot of folks who want in on the Lifetime license at a minimum license cost and risk.  Twelve disks in an array.  Think of a server with two 20TB parity drives, a single ssd cache disk and nine data drives.  You could easily have a server with a 180TB of storage space!   That would be a really great backup server.  (That is enough room for about 7200 Blu-Ray movies. and I can't think of why most people would need 520TB of storage that a PRO license would provide...) 

The announcement said the new plus plan equivalent will be around the same price. For that reason as someone who's looking at a spare license, I'd say either go for basic or pro.

This way you either have a relatively cheap upgrade path to plus or you can just sit back and relax.....touch wood. 

As for the storage limit, personally I'm trying to avoid having large drives these days due to the hassle of dealing with things like drive failures. Instead I try to keep WORM content (e.g. movies) on smaller 2.5" drives and only using my larger drives for data which requires faster throughput e.g. weekly backups. 

Maybe im stupid, but can someone explane to me why would anyone buy Starter or Unleashed licence type and then pay additional 1,2,3 years of upgrades when you can buy Lifetime (for how much who know) and then have same benefits like before. Pay once and use upgrades forewer

Edited by Doktor-X
2 minutes ago, Doktor-X said:

Maybe im stupid, but can someone explane to me why would anyone buy Starter or Unleashed licence type and then pay additional 1,2,3 years of upgrades when you can buy Lifetime (for how much who know) and then have same benefits like before

If, for example, the starter Licence is like 25 USD / year but the Lifetime licence is 250 USD.

Edited by Opawesome
6 minutes ago, Opawesome said:

If, for example, the starter Licence is like 25 USD / year but the Lifetime licence is 250 USD.

Also, not everyone may care about software updates, just look at the amount of people who still use W7 as their main OS. 

1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

Twelve disks in an array.  Think of a server with two 20TB parity drives, a single ssd cache disk and nine data drives.  You could easily have a server with a 180TB of storage space!   That would be a really great backup server.  (That is enough room for about 7200 Blu-Ray movies. and I can't think of why most people would need 520TB of storage that a PRO license would provide...)

Personally I keep an extra key just in case one flash dies or when upgrading OS I can easily swap versions.

And I would rather have more than 12 smaller (2-4TB drives) than fewer big drives because if 1 drive dies I can be up and running in < 4-8 hours, preclear time is faster, less risk of data loss with fewer files on each drive, parity time check is shorter and the drives are cheap. That's my take on more smaller drives although my max right now is 9. But I just upgraded one key to Pro and plan to do the rest. I may never need it but...

Edited by Russ Uno
13 minutes ago, EDACerton said:

Feature request: Unraid on a 1.44MB floppy disk.

Believe it or not but I've watched someone on YouTube try to create a minimal version of Linux for bootstrapping old systems, I haven't gotten round to finish watching the whole stream yet but where I got up to he was struggling to get it to boot for some weird reason.