Beware! 6.12.8 update resets smb settings (killed thousands of my files :-( )

I was wondering, why my backup server lost more and more files.

Now I have noticed that the SMB setting "show DOT Files" on the main server has been set to "yes".

My folder structure for videos contains a subfolder ".actors" for every movie.

This was not seen anymore, therefor it was deleted on the backup server.

But even worse! the folder and the files within have been deleted on the main server too!!!

(no idea how this should have happened ?!?!?)

So for everybody who updates: CHECK YOUR SMB SETTINGS after the update! Better not to set the array to autostart.

(and of course, the value of this setting was "NO" for years and nobody here twiddled with it. It is even locked if the array is running (all the time)).

So could somebody explain what happened and how to prevent such a desaster ? (naah diagnostics won't help it must have happend at the weekend already, now over 200.000 jpgs are gone...)

Edited by MAM59
46 minutes ago, Mainfrezzer said:

Im confused. The setting is "hide dot files" and no is the default.

Ooops, sorry, it is the other way round. Suddently (after the update) it was set to "yes"

I was confused too. Somehow it was set to "yes". And surely not by me.

The only thing that happened last week was the update to 6.12.8 (and the needed reboot afterwards).

MAYBE something before the update changed the ini file and it was later on activated by the reboot ? (again, not me!)

Edited by MAM59
34 minutes ago, MAM59 said:

Ooops, sorry, it is the other way round. Suddently (after the update) it was set to "yes"

I was confused too. Somehow it was set to "yes". And surely not by me.

The only thing that happened last week was the update to 6.12.8 (and the needed reboot afterwards).

MAYBE something before the update changed the ini file and it was later on activated by the reboot ? (again, not me!)

Regardless of that setting, Unraid would not be deleting any files on the main server as that setting just controls whether they are visible over the network.  If they did get deleted on the main server it was done by something else.

What did you use to update the backup?  rsync has a switch which will delete files/directories from the destination if they are missing from the source.  (I would avoid that switch like the plague in most backup situations.  I have the rsync switches setup so that only new or changed files are copied to the destination and to never delete a file from it!  Inadvertent file deletion from the source is often a 'cockpit error' situation that you would like to be recover from using the backup.)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2