NFS Discussion

Something very interesting to note (slightly off topic):

Seeing my shares over a (hardware) VPN takes much time with my Windows Vista SP1.

Running Ubuntu on SAME machine and I can browse/access my shares NOTICEABLY faster!

And it's Samba (so we have a double translation)! Still works great.

Any explanation?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

I just discovered unRAID and I am really interested in builiding a unRAID server for my DVD/BR/Photo storage.

Unfortunately my Videoprocessor Crystalio 3800 with its internal mediaplayer only accepts NFS as protocol.

I hope you want to implement soon NFS... ;D:-*

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Also, does anyone have a recommended NFS client for Windows?

I posted some links to free nfs clients and a unix layer for windows.

Did you try symlinking to the user share, and then exporting the parent of the symlink?

You cannot export the user shares.

You CAN export the disk shares.

There are a few ways to do this.

1. put all /mnt/disk? lines in /etc/exports.  Fairly easy and scriptable.

2. mount a tmpfs on /mnt before starting emhttp, adding entries to /etc/exports for the disks you want to export. 

All disk mounts can  be exportable via the /mnt/disk? export, user shares still cannot be accessed that way.

in my go script

#!/bin/bash
# Start the Management Utility
mount -t tmpfs -o size=1m,mode=0775 tmpfs /mnt
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

My /etc/exports looks like

# /Atlas *.cotrone.com(rw,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,nohide,fsid=0) # special for me!
# /boot *.cotrone.com(rw,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,nohide)
# /mnt       *.cotrone.com(rw,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,nohide,fsid=20) # doesn't work.
/mnt/user  *.cotrone.com(rw,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,nohide,fsid=21)  # Doesn't work.
/mnt/disk1 *.cotrone.com(rw,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,nohide,fsid=1)
/mnt/disk2 *.cotrone.com(rw,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,nohide,fsid=2)
/mnt/disk3 *.cotrone.com(rw,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,nohide,fsid=3)

This works with automounter and /net support.

cd /net/atlas/mnt/disk1 and the file system is automounted and auto umounted on timeout.

atlas:/mnt/disk1     976733184 124824576 851908608  13% /net/atlas/mnt/disk1
atlas:/mnt/disk2     976733184 230662144 746071040  24% /net/atlas/mnt/disk2
atlas:/mnt/disk3     976733184     32768 976700416   1% /net/atlas/mnt/disk3

Usually I create a mount point as the name of the host (Atlas in this case).

Then create symlinks under that host point, to the filesystems I want to mount.

Then set up automounter to use that host mount point as a focal point for mount access.

I simple cd /atlas/disk1 and the filesystem will be mounted.

This one is a bit harder to set up.

In any case, I found that having a root ram fs stops exporting filesystems via NFS

So I set a small tmpfs, then use that as an export point with symlinks.

Let me know if more detail is necessary about my host automount architecture.

I prefer it that way. cd /$hostname/$mountpoint and I know I'm at the location I want to be.  ;D

A little something I found when reading about the Popcorn Hour at:

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#Getting_Started.2F_Pre-Sale_Question

What streaming speeds should I expect from the various network connection methods?

SMB: ~25Mbps
   NFS: ~33Mbps
   HTTP: ~42Mbps (same clip peaks at 47Mbps)
   USB HDD: ~ 42Mbps
   USB DVDROM (8x): ~42Mbps
   Internal HDD: ~42Mbps

This jives with my experience that using Apache/HTTP is much better for streaming hi-def media than Samba or even NFS.

As for mount points, I have symlinks under /mnt/disk1/data/ for all my unRAID drive mounts on /mnt/disk1

drwxrwxrwx 397 apache apache  13016 May 10 19:37 _d1/
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root   root       10 Dec  5 17:56 _d2 -> /mnt/disk2/
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root   root       10 Dec  5 17:57 _d3 -> /mnt/disk3/
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root   root       10 Dec  6 04:30 _d4 -> /mnt/disk4/
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root   root       10 Dec  5 17:57 _d5 -> /mnt/disk5/
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root   root       10 Dec  5 17:57 _d6 -> /mnt/disk6/
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root   root       10 Dec  5 17:57 _d7 -> /mnt/disk7/
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root   root       10 Dec  5 17:57 _d8 -> /mnt/disk8/

So I can get to any unRAID disk with x:\data\_dx where x is the disk number.  Then I only need to mount /mnt/disk1 on my other systems... I don't have to map a bunch of mount points (but I can if I want).  The directories _d2 to _d8 give me access to each unRAID disk with only one mount point (_d1 is native to disk 1).  (Now that I'm running from a native hard drive, I'll move that structure to the boot drive, and _d1 will also be a symlink.)

What does your /etc/exports look like?

also when I try to use full paths like explained below, they are not resolvable.

I had to use ln -s disk3 ../disk3 from my disk1 directory.

Even then I noticed that the automounter required mounting of the /mnt/disk3 mount point from /etc/exports.

When I took it out, the link was unresolvable.

I use it to stream video content to my tvix media player.

I'm about to get on the unraid bandwagon, but the primary purpose (aside from backup) is to stream to my TViX M-6500A media server (http://www.tvix.co.kr/Eng/products/HDM6500A.aspx) , which highly recommends NFS.  Samba has been hit and miss w/ raw ripped Blu-Ray content @ 100Base-T.  I'm currenlty upgrading my network to CAT-6 to see if gigabit is the solution.

BTW, I'm admittedly clueless when it comes to Linux, but I stumbled upon the TViX Linux NFS instructions http://www.tvix.co.kr/ENG/FAQ/FAQM5000U.aspx?act=RD&id=134&pg=0&CATID=3&SCATID=2, and have no idea whether this applies to unraid.

Adding the packages is not a big deal.

NFS does work, although I've not benchmarked it yet.

This section here is where it gets a bit sticky.

2. configuration of the NFS server

This step is most important for M-5000U to export directory, so please check the following procedures.

i) /etc/exports

This file defines exported directory and sharing method. M-5000U mounts fixed directory path as /tvixhd1, so add following line in the /etc/exports(subnet information: 192.168.32/255.255.255.0):

/tvixhd1        192.168.32.0/255.255.255.0(rw)

In this case, /tvixhd1 directory must exist in the NFS server. The size of normal root(/) file system is small, so use symbolic link to indicate the original directory in the larger partition.

e.g.) To create a symbolic link, issue following command(source: /home/visual_data, target: /tvixhd1):

What it is going to require is a tmpfs mounted on this mount point.

Then there will need to be symlinks from this mount point to the disk mounts or a mount -o bind from the disk mountpoints here.

NFS will not support exporting of a root ram filesystem.

It does not support the user share (yet) either.

I'll play with it a lil this weekend to see what I come up with.

I don't have a tivx so I cannot test it out.

Although some of us have been able to get it working, right now it's an unsupported feature.

What kind of NFS support there will be in the future is yet to be answered.

Unfortunately for Tvix users, Tvix does not do uPnP.  Other products, like Popcorn Hour, Istar, Pinnacle Showcenter, et. al, all to uPnP.... which is faster for streaming than both NFS or Samba.

Using Apache and uPnP, I can stream two different simultaneous HD streams from my unRAID box at the same time with no hiccups.

Anyone considering a media player to play hi-def content streaming from an unRAID server, I strongly suggest you make sure that player can do uPnP. 

• 1 month later...

I have a iSTAR and want to use NFS for streaming HD (m2ts) files to it, right now I have to go via my PC to get high enough streaming speeds.

It would be nice to be able to watch HD material on my iSTAR with out the use of my PC  ;D

If HTTP streaming is faster, will it be possible to stream directly to the iSTAR form my unRAID server, via HTTP or does it always require the use of a PC ?

ISTAR is the same box as Popcorn Hour.  SMB will generally not support HiDef streams on either one.  NFS is faster on them, but HTTP is the best.  Install Apache w/PHP and it flies.  Get Open Showcenter or SwissCenter and you'll be happy.

Lack of NFS is a very big problem for me because I`m also going to buy Tvix M-6500A and I will not stand being unable to play my 'raw' m2ts`s taken from blu-ray discs :( I cannot understand why it`s not implemented yet? Yes I know it`s not easy to develop software like unraid but Jesus, it`s not free and NFS feature is quite a basic feature. I read here about the future of unraid and many people say about torrent clients, encryption and stuff like that while it doesn`t have BASIC features like NFS! And I mean 'full' NFS implementation what means that user shares are exported, not specified disks.

I`m not expecting from you limetech an immediate implementation of the NFS after reading some complaints, but PLEASE give us at least a piece of information about the approximate date of any alpha or beta version containing this feature.

Sorry if the post sounds offensive...

I cannot understand why it`s not implemented yet?

Very simple:  User shares use FUSE.  FUSE and NFS are incompatible wit each other.  This isn't a LimeTech or unRAID issue, it is a FUSE/NFS incompatibility.

You need to chose which you want.... user shares or NFS.

Lack of NFS is a very big problem for me because I`m also going to buy Tvix M-6500A and I will not stand being unable to play my 'raw' m2ts`s taken from blu-ray discs :( I cannot understand why it`s not implemented yet? Yes I know it`s not easy to develop software like unraid but Jesus, it`s not free and NFS feature is quite a basic feature. I read here about the future of unraid and many people say about torrent clients, encryption and stuff like that while it doesn`t have BASIC features like NFS! And I mean 'full' NFS implementation what means that user shares are exported, not specified disks.

I`m not expecting from you limetech an immediate implementation of the NFS after reading some complaints, but PLEASE give us at least a piece of information about the approximate date of any alpha or beta version containing this feature.

Sorry if the post sounds offensive...

This thread was started by Tom (LimeTech) to ask users to explain their need for NFS, as he is considering implementing it in a future release, and he wants to better understand the underlying reasons.  I think that you have explained that you woud use it in combination with the Tvix unit.

I'd just be careful to not come across too demanding in your request  Tom does not typically quote specific timeframes (when he does and misses them he gets himself in trouble, so this is probably smart on his part).  You might want to provide more details on the Tvix unit and document its need for NFS in more detail.

There are links below in a post.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=1666.msg15502#msg15502

I did some research and it was funny how in the dialog box it gives choices. SMB (slow), NFS, etc.etc....

In any case, from what I saw, it will require a mount as /tivx1hd and /tivxhd2 or something like that..

So it's not just NFS that has to be handled, there are other pieces of it.

NFS in itself can work if the programs are installed and you jump through a few hoops.

What is missing is user share support. I.E. you can only NFS access the mounted disks.

In order to support the TIVX hardware, other hoops will need to be jumped through.

Not sure how at the moment.

Not really sure why someone would go with TIVX since Popcorn Hour has ramped up production ... Popcorn Hour has more features and supports more formats.

The only thing you need NFS for would be DVD .ISO files, to play DVDs with menus.... and there are workarounds even for that.

Some support for the NFS file system exists in the current release, but no web-based interface to manage it, nor any integration with "user shares"

If you can deal with your .ts files being on their own "NFS shares", and not a consolidated view through user-shares, then by configuring /etc/exports it can probably be made to work for your needs.

Here is a manual page for the nfsd program.  It is the daemon involved in servicing the NFS server requests. http://www.manpagez.com/man/8/nfsd/

Joe L.

It appears as if nfsd is compiled into the kernel

root@Tower:/etc/rc.d#  cat /proc/filesystems

nodev  sysfs

nodev  rootfs

nodev  bdev

nodev  proc

nodev  sockfs

nodev  usbfs

nodev  pipefs

nodev  anon_inodefs

nodev  futexfs