Hitachi 4TB hard drive spotted in the wild

intertan

I am skipping the 3T drives and moving straight to 4T. I'm hoping by next black Friday we'll see 4T drives for a reasonable price and 5.0 out of beta, I've got my fingers crossed for both. Seagate GoFlex 4T external drives were at $200 prior to the flooding, so it is plausable that 4T internal drives could be sub $140 in about a year.

Time to toss out my 3TBdrives....

In seriousness though.

This is a reason my second box is at a stalemate just 2TB and 1.5's in it.

I was waiting for these at a decent price.

The 4TB are based on existing technology (4 platters and 1GB platters).

Anything bigger then this will be new tech... or a thick 5 Platter drive.

new tech = long R&D time and possibly expensive.

I think the 4TB's will be "the storage drive" for a while.

I would hate to see the parity check / rebuild times with these...

I'm going to guess around 54hours per 4TB drive. LOL

A lot could happen in 54 hours.

Might make Dual Parity higher priority in that case (once 5.x becomes stable)

If not dual parity, then not a full 20 drives drives per array.  Instead 2x 10-drive arrays.  What would be really nice is if unraid could run two independent arrays in a single box (re: not virtualized).  Even better, user shares are still merged.  Not quite as clean as dual parity, but might actually be less complex and easier to implement since it'll just be using single parity.

I'm going to guess around 54hours per 4TB drive. LOL

Oppps......... I was thinking of how long it would take to do a preclear. LOL

I was about to say...

I would guess closer to 13 hours...

Here is my parity check from today with 10 Hitachi 3TB drives in it. This was with me watching 2 blurays streams at once while the sync was being performed. usually it closer to 9 hours on this rig.

Last checked on Sat Dec 10 20:37:27 2011 CST (today), finding 0 errors.
  Duration: 10 hours, 17 minutes, 24 seconds. Average speed: 81.0 MB/sec

I'll stick with my 2TB and 1.5TB drives for a while. Between my WHS and unRAID I have 88TB of storage available. Worst case I can always take the 2TB drives from my WHS and create a second unRAID setup since with duplication on my WHS it only gives me 26TB of usable storage. And it's basically full right now.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

I agree that the 4tb being based on current proven tech is good, but won't the reads/writes be slower to a 4 platter drive??

I would assume, faster on the outer tracks! There will be more more heads, a deeper cylinder with no head movement.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always thought the read goes up and down the cylinder before moving inward to the next track.

The problem with updating to use 4TB drives is that you really need to buy 3 drives to start you off. One drive for parity, one for data and one to keep as a spare in case your parity drive dies. That's $1,200.00 just to add 4TB to your array. Of course you don't have to hold onto a spare drive, but if your parity drive fails who wants to leave their array unprotected for a week while a replacement drive arrives and is tested.

Hitachi releases 4TB Deskstar 5K4000 hard drive for $399