a graphical user interface for smartctl

abs0lut.zer0

i do understand that it's an x11 app but i was hoping maybe the plugin guru's might be able to write in the attribute table with the colour coding and explanations of the various values.. as in the screen shots ..

any takers i am very willing to help in any way except coding as i CANNOT code but any other leg work i can do...

anybody??....

• 3 weeks later...

When reading this request I found it a very useful idea and so I took up the challenge and developed a graphical interface for monitoring of the disks health status. The result is a separate plugin which you can add to the stock interface of unRAID and an updated version of my modified Simple Features plugin, which has some more integration (see the SF thread). Note: use one or the other but not both...

The screenshot below shows the opening page when the new "Health" tab is selected.

health_plain1.png

In the top row are the available disks and the current selected one has a green surrounding frame. The picture of the disk shows the overall SMART status. There are three possibilities:

disk_ok.png Disk has correct SMART status

disk_fail.png Disk has failing SMART status

disk_off.png Disk has spun down

While the Health page is opened the SMART status of each disk is updated automatically in the background, when a status change occurs the result becomes visible without the need of refreshing the page.  ::)

The possible sub-menus are listed below by default the first choice "Disk Identity" is selected. The next choice "Disk Attributes" gives an overview of the different SMART values and color coding is used to highlight potential errors.

health_plain2.png

RED - indicates a critical status which may cause the drive to fail soon

PINK - indicates an alert status with a drive having failures in the past

PURPLE - indicates a notification status with values which exceed the preset threshold

It is possible to start a SMART self-test either "short" (2 minutes or less) or "extended" (several hours). The page will show the progress of the self-test as a percentage completed and finishes with a final state.

health_plain3.png

You can download the Health package here

Copy the package to the location /boot/extra and reboot your system, alternatively you can install the package manually from the CLI:

installpkg /boot/extra/bergware-0.9g-unraid-health.tgz

Let me know your experiences, and have fun  :)

BonieNL

looks good, though I do have one suggestion/request.

Could you make this so that there is NOT a separate tab.  This should be located under the Utils tab.

Why "hide" the page under Utils?

Like the "Stats" page it is justified (in my view) for instant access...

(it can be considered though to move)

Why "hide" the page under Utils?

Because for right now, that is where it should belong, in my opinion.

Like the "Stats" page it is justified (in my view) for instant access...

Again, that one should not have it's own tab also.

(it can be considered though to move)

thats all I am really asking for. I envision a plugins tab in default unRAID 5.0 that will list all available but that should be the only other page added.  Everything should then be "hidden" unless needed.

thats all I am really asking for. I envision a plugins tab in default unRAID 5.0 that will list all available but that should be the only other page added.  Everything should then be "hidden" unless needed.

The "weak" point (so to say) at the moment in the Utils page there is no predefined structure for adding plugins. Different plugins create different "entries". I actually modified a couple of them so they all appear under the same heading.

Would be good though if some "standardization" is in place....

Installed the health package and it looking great..

A nice looking and useful package add-on

Thanks for your work!

Good to hear  :)

Consider it still beta, since it is first release and I have only limited hardware availability to test on. Any observation you think isn't correct, let me know (screenshots and disk info might help here).

Just installed the package on unRAID server @ work. A few suggestions if you will :)

• If you're on a sidebar tab, for example Disk Attributes, make sure if you're changing disk that the tab doesn't default back to Disk Identity. I'd also remove the word "Disk" from the sidebar tabs.

• Firefox 9 is pushing the right div to the bottom, perhaps take the right sided div size down a percent or two, or force it to float right.

• Apply the function I made to make the disk names "pretty". Eg, "Disk 1" instead of "disk1". Also add more white space to the disk name under each icon.

• For the disk icon selection, maybe instead of a harsh box around it, have a slightly grey effect on the background and round off the corners. Perhaps look at adding some transparency to the unselected/inactive icons too.

I also think this should stay in the top tabs, it's a convenient and essential service!

This looks really great. Thanks for your efforts. I'm still waiting for a stable version of  5.0 to appear to be able to try some of the new plugins. A little gun-shy as I'm running SASLP cards and don't really want to run into trouble.

One quick question: would it be possible to integrate the SMART history plugin, or something similar. It would be incredible to have the historical info on tap as well. Thanks again to you, and other plugin authors, for making UnRAID so useful.

looks good, though I do have one suggestion/request.

Could you make this so that there is NOT a separate tab.  This should be located under the Utils tab.

To prostuff1's point. If every plugin had a it's own tab the interface will get cluttered quickly. Maybe some top level tabs need to be defined so developers can add sub tabs to those. 

Archived