Trojan

MunchDK

I downloaded the .exe on my iphone and submitted it to virustotal, just to remove my system (and windows) from the loop. Still got two detections...

Don't know if this is even possible, but could there be an infected version cached on a european server for download? I am downloading from Germany.

VirusTotal - File - 5432a7db786a1c1819bd14366bdd3d7691888b8d3ee5363c4cf88ab6d8f1c71b.png

5 minutes ago, bbben said:

I downloaded the .exe on my iphone and submitted it to virustotal, just to remove my system (and windows) from the loop. Still got two detections...

Don't know if this is even possible, but could there be an infected version cached on a european server for download? I am downloading from Germany.

VirusTotal - File - 5432a7db786a1c1819bd14366bdd3d7691888b8d3ee5363c4cf88ab6d8f1c71b.png

Interesting, the link I posted above now also shows two positive detections. @ljm42?

They're using NSIS (Nullsoft Scriptable Install System) which certain AVs and newer threat detection companies (Crowdstrike, Sentinel One, etc) don't like. They see it as a threat even when it's not. Some will see it's digitally signed and ignore it, others won't.

You can always use the old manual method if you want to be safe.

https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/getting-started/manual-install-method/

Edited by OrneryTaurus
  • Thanks 1

Got same trojan warning from NordVpn as folks discussing above after decided to try the product yesterday.

Looks suspicious and the issue is not new. Does anybody care?

How do I get trial key if i cannot download the installer? I found no other way or description how to get the key. 

please help!

40 minutes ago, Aruxal said:

Got same trojan warning from NordVpn as folks discussing above after decided to try the product yesterday.

Looks suspicious and the issue is not new. Does anybody care?

How do I get trial key if i cannot download the installer? I found no other way or description how to get the key. 

please help!

You don't need a trial key, every installation on a new USB starts in trial mode... 🙂 

2 minutes ago, Rysz said:

There's no step by step as the USB is blacklisted, you'll need to contact support or use another USB for Unraid.

Thank you, your responses are the only thing that keeps me looking at UNRAID at all because I need to decide which platform I will use.

I'm using fresh micro SDXC just from the box, not sure what means "Blacklisted".

If they expect users to try their product before buying that could be better documented and prepared than suggesting to call support as a first action.

Thank you again for your patience.

2 minutes ago, Aruxal said:

Thank you, your responses are the only thing that keeps me looking at UNRAID at all because I need to decide which platform I will use.

I'm using fresh micro SDXC just from the box, not sure what means "Blacklisted".

If they expect users to try their product before buying that could be better documented and prepared than suggesting to call support as a first action.

Thank you again for your patience.

I'm sorry, but this really is something that only official support can handle, hence my suggestion.

In any case, it's likely related to using an SDXC instead of an USB stick, so I'd try with that instead (if possible). 🙂 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, elibosley said:

Hey All - Thanks for flagging this.

The code for the entire USB creator is open-source, I don't think it's happening from that unless it's NSIS as stated earlier. 

Here's the repo: https://github.com/unraid/usb-creator-next

Thank you! This is great info for those who can and are willing to dig into this.

As a user, I watched Youtube video comparison of TrueNas comparison to UNRAID and decided to look at it. 

The first thing I got was a malware warning... What would you normally think? RUN!!!

I also scanned my machine with 3 different tools to make sure this is not me causing this. 

And also had trouble getting a Trial Key - turns out you cannot use brand new SDXC card because of "Blacklisted" GUID etc.

I feel I will leave this project to mature for another year or two before paying my $$ for it...